300 pounds of human

what should my wife and I be considering as per layers thickness given our weight. one of us is side sleeper the other is universal.

we will work with one of the recommended vendors here, but we need some baseline stats to know we are getting the right config from these experts.

Hi Ducksmack,

While knowing the specs that can affect the quality and durability of the layers and components in a mattress is always important … unless you have a great deal of knowledge and experience with different types of mattress materials and components and their specs and different layering combinations and mattress designs and how they combine together and can translate them into your own “real life” experience that can be unique to you (which would generally be a very small percentage of people) … I would tend to avoid using complex specifications to try and predict how a mattress will feel or perform for you. When you try and choose a mattress based on complex combinations of specs that you may not fully understand or only based on specs for single layers or components that may not be as relevant or meaningful as you believe it is then the most common outcome is “information overload” and “paralysis by analysis”. Even the best mattress designers in the industry are often surprised at what a mattress they design “should have felt like” based on the specs when they design it and what it “actually feels like” when they test out their new design.

The only way to know whether any specific mattress design or combination of layers and components is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP with any certainty will be based on your own careful testing and/or your own personal experience when you sleep on it.

I’m not sure if this is referring to one of you or if you mean the combined weight of both of you together but if you mean just one of you there is also more information in post #3 here and the posts it links to that would be helpful for those that are in higher weight ranges

While the process of how to choose a mattress would involve the same steps that are listed in the mattress shopping tutorial … most people in higher weight ranges (or that have a higher BMI) will generally need or prefer firmer mattresses (firmer materials will feel softer because you will sink into them more) and materials and components that are higher quality and more durable than those that are in lower weight ranges (the materials and components in a mattress will soften and break down faster for those in higher weight ranges than they will for someone that is in a lower weight range that doesn’t compress the mattress as much). I would be particularly cautious about mattresses that use more than “about an inch or so” of memory foam that is less than about 5 lb density or polyfoam that is less than about 2 lb density … particularly in the upper layers of the mattress.

Phoenix

I would be particularly cautious about mattresses that use more than “about an inch or so” of memory foam that is less than about 5 lb densit

not to get in the weeds ,exactly what you said not to do, but curious on that comment…

i am confused —are you saying mattresses trade depth for density. so something with 2 inches might be compensated with 3lb of density, ie they took 2 pounds off. what about 3 inches of thickness and 5lb of density - would you be cautious of that particular confi?

hmmm so thanks for the durability stats!

however, what BMI do I use for two people? We are both 150…so I am guessing I just use one of our numbers since the mattress is equal on both sides

basically my idea that i had to take into account BOTH our weights was the wrong way to think about puchasing a mattress

Hi ducksmack,

I’m not clear what you are trying to ask but mattress depth and density have nothing to do with each other.

The softening or breakdown of a low quality and less durable layer that is only an inch or so thick will have very little effect on the comfort and support of the mattress if all the other layers are good quality and durable materials (that won’t soften or break down as quickly) but if there are about 2" or more of the same lower quality and less durable material in the upper layers of a mattress then it could have a much more significant effect on the durability and useful life of the mattress.

You can just use the BMI of the heaviest person.

Phoenix