45 density dunlop topper ?

Hi, I’m looking to buy a 2" topper for my new latex mattress because it’s too firm. I have a 6" 100% natural dunlop core 70-75kg/m3 manufactured by latexco in Belgium which they call a medium core. Plus a 2" topper which the retailer said is also around 70kg/m3 but is considered soft for some reason. I figure to put another 2" of softer latex on top so the current topper becomes more a support/transition layer and the new softer topper allows our shoulders to sink in some more as we are both side sleepers. Options to buy latex toppers where I live in Australia are limited however I have located a bed manufacturer who advertise a latex bed which has a 2" Latex Gold 55 density soft top layer. I contacted them to confirm the latex is genuine Latex Gold brand which is dunlop method made in Sri Lanka by Arpico and they confirmed yes but said they currently only have 45 density toppers in stock. I’m surprised by this as I’ve never heard of a dunlop latex being such low density. I’m hoping someone here can advise me if this sounds correct and if 45 density would have any issues with durability and possibly what equivalent ILD it would be. I’m 185 pounds and my wife is 140 pounds. She likes really soft so the 45D seems interesting but I’m concerned I might sink right through it or it might wear out really fast.

Hi Silverbull and thanks for your inquiry! The lowest density we know of is a 55 and that is considered an extra soft, so if there is a 45 density that would be super, super soft. When latex is that soft it will not be as durable or last as long. In our experience even an extra soft layer will typically last 3-5 years, but different variables would affect it’s longevity, such as a persons weight. If you are considering trying the 2" 45 density layer I would have to agree that you would likely push right through it and still feel the firmer layer below. My recommendation for a soft layer that would suit both you and your wife would be more in the 65 density range or an ILD of 19- 23 and perhaps a 3" layer instead of a 2" would solve your issue. Arpico is a fantastic company and you may be able to reach out directly to them to inquire about the 45 density layer. Good luck in your search!

Thanks for your response and I won’t go ahead with the 45D as it’s quite expensive and you’ve confirmed my fears on this one. I’ve had a look at your website. Will you ship a topper to Australia? If so what would you recommend me from your range? Is there enough info on my original post for you to assist or would I need to supply more? My wife’s favorite mattress of all time was a Simmons Comforpedic memory foam which was one of their soft ones, she keeps referring to that as the reference point now. We have a king size mattress which zips open and internally the pieces are all twinXL just held together by the the mattress cover so I can put different pieces on each side. I suppose I need to understand if the medium latexco core is suitable to begin with but if it is and I can adjust with topper. Then maybe a talalay topper (at least on her side) may more closely match the old memory foam feeling. FYI I don’t want to go back to memory foam because for the cost it wore out way too fast.

Hi Silverbull. Unfortunately, we do not ship to Australia, but I am happy to answer your questions. I believe your 6" core of the 70-75 density latex is just fine. My suspicion is that it is at the lower end of the range and the 2" 70 density layer is likely at the higher end of the range and that’s why you’re not feeling a noticeable difference, however at your weights this should be a sufficient and softer support core. I think you just need to dial the mattress in with a comfort layer. With latex in general, even a soft layer, you get more of a sleeping on it rather than in it sensation like you do with memory foam. There really is no way to mimic the feel of the memory foam your wife seems to like. The best chance is to try a soft (17-20 ILD) Talalay free floating topper on top of the current mattress. Talalay compresses better than Dunlop and is generally better at contour and pressure relief on your hips and shoulders. A free-floating topper will give a much plusher feel than having the layer encased with the others. For this you could use just a “raw” uncovered layer under your sheets, or some companies sell topper encasements. Should you get the encasement I would look for something that is thin and stretchy so that you feel the true benefits of the latex below. I hope this helps!

Thanks for responding. I think I’ll get a 3" 19ILD talalay topper and try it out on top like you’ve recommended. Might try it direct on the 6" core also. Over time I doubt my wife would leave a topper on top she’s too fussy for that so would need to find a new cover. I’ve already been looking at that and like the idea and pictures in the forum of your 4 way stretch cover (can get a friend in US to buy it and re-post to me). Would there be much firmness different between our thin and soft mattress protector over the raw talalay vs putting it inside your 4 way stretch cover?

Hi Silverbull. If the protector is thin and stretchy there wouldn’t be any difference in the feel. Protectors that have quilting or fit tightly will change the feel of the topper or even your mattress, making it firmer, but it sounds like yours should be just fine. The cotton stretch topper cover just helps protect the latex layer from things like open air and direct sunlight, but most people have a few layers of bedding over it anyway. The 4 way cotton stretch mattress cover can change the overall feel of your mattress by letting the latex relax more and like a free- floating topper it allows you sink directly into the latex. If you try the 19 ILD topper over your 6" core and it feels almost great, but not quite, I would remove the top panel of your current cover and try it with just your sheets and protector as this will give you a good idea of what the 4 way stretch mattress cover would feel like, and that just might do the trick!!