5 lb Memory Foam Topper

I am looking to replace my memory foam topper that lasted me over 10 years. Long story short, I had the topper on a latex hybrid mattress. It was my mistake that I didn’t try out the latex before I made the purchase. I just love the feel of memory foam. I was looking at 2 toppers in particular. One from Foamorder and one from Absolute Comfort.

I am a big guy, 250 lbs.6 ft. 2 in. and was looking at 5 lb. density and 3 inches thick. Just curious why the price of the Foamorder topper is nearly 3 times the price as the Absolute Comfort brand? Is is that much better or worth it? I am willing to pay more if the quality is better. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi batatoe,
Welcome to the TMU and thanks for the inquiry.

I cant speak for the extreme price variance, but the absolute foam 5lb density has an ILD of 16, while the Foamorder 5lb density is 13. My concern is that it will be too soft for you.

Foamorders Latex (which many use as toppers) comes in 5 different firmnesses: Soft N25 (11-18 ILD), Medium N28 (24-28 ILD), Firm N31 (30-35 ILD), Extra Firm N36 (39-44 ILD), and Hard N45 (58-64 ILD).

Of course the different materials will feel completely different. The Memory foam albeit 5lb which is considered a nice heavier density, sturdy, durable and longer lasting than the less dense versions, can be made to be quite soft and may cause you to sink into the mattress too much for certain weight classes. As you know viscoelastic memory foam is heat sensitive so the warmer the room, the warmer the sleeper, the softer the material becomes and the more you sink and are surrounded by a warming material.

Similar to you, I was 6’ 250 for the longest time until about a year ago, before I recently dropped to 220. Prior to getting a new mattress about a year ago, I previously used a 3" 5lb-ish Tempur topper (Tempur’s ILD’s in their original approx 5’lb ish density is considered the best in class in viscoelastic memory foam) and sunk into the bed like quicksand. My wife hated it as it was hot, she couldnt get in and out of the bed, she felt trapped. For me, it was ok on pressure relief, but I bottomed it out.
My personal feeling is you may want to try a memory foam with a higher ILD that can offer more support that 250lb frame and still offer nice pressure relief.
You may want to consider another look at latex as your topper of choice, but you know you best.
Remember the higher density in the memory foam does usually indicate higher durability and perhaps quality, but is independent of the firmness and most that are sold are often have very soft ILD’s.

If you have not had the opportunity to try a couple of different choices, you may want to Costco or Amazon it, for experimentation purposes, as they are the easiest when it comes to returns.

Many of our trusted members offer some latex topper options and some memory foam choices as I am certain there will be a few who will like to add to the conversation.

Not sure if this helps your dilemma but it gives you some food for thought.
Good luck,
Norm

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed reply Norm

About 3 years a ago, I purchased a Hybrid Latex Mattress. I really don’t want to mention the brand because they had great customer service and the mattress is high quality. Currently the mattress has a 2″ firm latex layer, 8″ pocketed coil layer, a 3″ medium talalay latex layer on top of the coils, and a 3″ layer of medium dunlop on top. I added the 3″ dunlop later.I tried moving the layers around and flipping the mattress. I eventually added my old 3" memory foam topper and I was good.

I finally threw the memory foam topper away because it was beyond use. It was well over 10 years old, I wish I remember where I purchased it or what type of memory foam it was because I loved it. I really didn’t try latex out before I purchased the mattress. I don’t hate latex, it just doesn’t give me that feeling of sinking in and conforming to my body. I fall asleep much quicker than the latex. Although the latex does not cause any soreness or back pain.

I am not sure about the ILDs of the layers in my mattress as you mentioned. I’m not saying I am completely closed on the idea of latex, if it has the feel of memory foam. I’m been reading some reviews on Amazon newer memory foam toppers are fast response, which I think defeats the purpose of memory foam?

I’m curious about something, when I look at all the layers of my mattress they seem to be on the firmer side, there isn’t much give to both the talalay and the dunlop. Just wondering what a soft latex Soft N25 (11-18 ILD) would feel like, or maybe too soft for my frame. Where did you find the ILD of the memory foam on Foamorder?

Sorry that I rambled on, you just got me thinking.

1 Like

Hi Batatoe,

No worries about the brand name. As long as you still comfortable on you mattress, it is all good! The good thing about a quality mattress, you can throw a topper on it, whether it needs the topper for additional comfort or just to increase the longevity of the mattress. Either way, you are in good shape.

I would have loved to have known what MF topper it was, as it might have been easier to match. I am not 100% familiar with Absolute and Foamorder in terms of quality as I have not ordered from them nor have I had many refer to them as having ordered from them. Some information can be predicted by the materials and their stats.

I actually asked FO what the ILD was. Simple. Whenever I quote something, I dont like to guess, most of the time, it takes about 5 minutes, and I get them to offer up the information, otherwise I will give them the impression I am not interested in doing business with them. I mean, what do they have to hide anyway. They know the answer, if it is right for the specifically interested customer, just share it, otherwise it becomes a refund if it is no good.

I still worry about your size when it comes to a memory foam topper. So if I were going to recommend something, quite frankly, the Serenity by Tempurpedic Serenity is the way to go. Even if you are not a costco member, the cost to join, plus the topper is still less than FO and the Absolute, plus, I trust TP more than someone I dont know.

In terms of latex vs memory foam. MF will be warmer, perhaps a sweatier situation. I would give the edge of pressure relief to MF over latex, but…
Both can be made to the same ILD, so the first 25% of the the 3" topper, or 3/4" in you sink will feel quite the same on the MF and Latex of the same ILD. The difference is memory foam becomes softer as you heat up and sinks more, where the latex is going to “push back a bit.” I found this out with my 100% Natural Talalay Latex Pillow. Soft and squishy, like air, but once you lay on it, you sink and it pushes back, some folks will “bounce” which is the feeling I did not like, but my wife does, so she uses that pillow.

Each of the latex toppers generally have a different “support factor” not important to know all the details, but it just means the deeper you sink into it (65% sunken in), the firmer it will be as compared to the first 25% you depress into it. Talalay Latex is made in a way where the density throughout the layer is a bit more uniform as compared to the “bottom heavy” of Dunlop. This phenomenon is due to the way it is processed. You can read up on that here in TMU or on line.

I would go for the Serenity at Costco, it is the best value and may be as close to what you had in the past. If it works and you like it. Quite frankly, nothing else matters. ILD’s, densities, brand names, while generally speaking they are reliable references for predictability and quality, the “best is only the best if it works for you” I always say.

I know some of the trusted experts will offer information and calculations to better predict and figure what might be the better solution, but in the end, it is really about how you feel. The latex is not going to give you that huggy feel. The fast response memory foams that are out there, are really designed to offer the feel of natural latex, in a synthetic modality. Nothing at all wrong with them. Latex, a natural material (although sometimes blended) tends to be more durable and longer lasting. Of course it is a bit more expensive too.

No worries about rambling, I am the king at that.

1 Like

Hey Norm,

Thanks again for all the help.

Do you know if the TEMPUR-Adapt Topper listed on Tempur-Pedic’s website is the same or comparable to the Serenity from Costco? I know you probably have no experience with that one. They claim it is on sale for 40% off for $251.40, regular price of $419.00.

1 Like

I am not sure about that, but i would be willing to bet they are close, but i will ask someone i think may know the answer. Just ck return policies! TP is not kind on returns.

1 Like

I am still waiting for an answer, but it is very uncanny that there is the proadapt and the proadapt cooling, and the serenity and the serenity cooling. Same colors, thickness. I was trying to look at the box my serenity came in, which I still have, for the weight. If they were the same weight it would say a lot about the two.

No answer yet, but I found this, nothing conclusive.
Adapt vs Serenity

1 Like

You said before that you sunk into the bed like quicksand with the Serenity. I found a post on reddit that compares the Tempur-Supreme vs the newer TEMPUR-Adap.
Warning : Tempurpedic has changed the formula of it’s Tempur-Topper Supreme, the new formula feels completely different and is still being sold under the same name / price

It looks like the newer version is much softer than the older. Also read some reviews on Costco.com and they aren’t good
Serenity by Tempur-Pedic 3 Inch Mattress Topper

I am going to see if I can find the older version. I have seen them on a few sites.

The one I have is the older version. I got it around 2016 or so. I could feel the pressure relief, but my butt sank like the titanic the full 3". Other parts of my body not so bad. My wife just hated the thing. She would get into bed and complain she felt trapped and stuck. That is the older version of the Serenity. I think when they changed the Direct from Tempur topper, they changed the Costco one too.

1 Like

I found something interesting that I did not know before. After searching and finding ILD ratings of different memory foam toppers(and very few post it in the description). I found quite a few are 16, some 10. And it seems it does relate to density, the higher density memory foams (5lbs) have a higher ILD.

Also, looking at latex. An ILD rating of 22 is considered very soft latex and if memory foam was ILD 22 it would be very firm. Correct me if I am wrong

1 Like

So I will try to explain this without screwing it up in an easy way to understand.
Image you have a group of glass cubes 12" on all sides. Kind of like those glass cubes they make fancy side walls with in homes, restaurants, and fancy hotels.

Lets say you fill each one of these cubes with different substances, up to the point where one more grain, drop or additional piece of substance would cause an overflow after filling the cube.

If you fill the cube with water, sand, rice, lead, latex, feathers, down, polyurethane and viscoelastic polyurethane, and HD foam.

Clearly, the one you fill with lead will be considerably heavier than all the others, but within each of the other substances you filled the cube with, they will all have different weights while occupying the same exact space.

Now you take your rice and place it in a cube and add water to it until one more grain of rice or drop of water causes it to overflow. The with weight of that cube will be heavier than the rice in the cube alone, still occupying the same space but the rice has now absorbed the water to increase the weight of that same cube.

So now you should have a visual and understanding that a cubic foot of different substances will have different weights. You will also notice that the rice that absorbed the water is softer (and heavier) than the dry rice alone.

When the ILD of a foam is measured, basically it is a measurement taken to determine how much force is necessary to depress the foam, usually at 25% of it’s depth. ILD Measurement Example. The first 25% of depression is usually the unit of measurement that is used to identify the ILD of a foam. It is not the only measurement taken, usually a second measurement will be taken at 65% depression. This will yield a second ILD. There is another measurement (not so important for this discussion) that takes the ratio of the two measurements to produce another number called “support factor.” This will offer additional information about how supportive the foam is.

Now all tempurpedic style foam (viscoelastic heat sensitive foam) is made from polyurethane, but with other additives added to it and infused with blowing agents to create various combinations. Much like adding water to the rice. Occupying the same space, but with a different texture, feel and weight.

Most would proffer that an ILD of 10-16 is softer, 26-32 is medium and 38-44 is firmer and then you have everything above, below or in-between.

But when laying on substance that has an ILD of 22, for all practical purposes it will depress the same, granted the different material make-up will feel different. Linen, cotton and wool all have different feels as does dunlop vs talalay, HD foam vs viscoelastic, memory foam vs latex and so on.

Now here is where I go off on a tangent. In the case of viscoelastic memory foam, since that is what we have been talking about. Tempurpedic Serenity and Temperpedic. It becomes a bit blurry when talking about ILDs. At least from my perspective (and I am sure someone will correct ME if I articulate this wrong), using an ILD to identify viscoelastic foam is kind of flawed.

What temperature did they do the test on VE MF? As we all know, VE MF softens in warmer environments and hardens in colder environments. Case in point. I have a TP automobile back cushion, which I leave in my car. As the weather has gotten cold lately, when I get in the car in the morning, the cushion is as hard as a rock. Nothing added, same piece of Tempur foam, just cold. After a while, the heated seat and car heat softens the cushion up. If you leave your home at 62degrees. When you get home, the topper will be more firm than after you get your body on it. So the ILD in this case is not as reliable as the use of the density figure (for durablity) and what additives were used to make it not only dense, but varying levels of firmness at a specific density.

Because Polyurethane is a synthetic, it can be made into different modalities. Fast response, medium response, slow response. It just depends on the additives infused when creating the final PE derivative product.

Latex is a bit different, as it is not heat sensitive like VE MF. It too can be manipulated for density and firmness, but the ILD is a bit more reliable in my view for latex than VE MF.

Hopefully, this makes sense. I may have missed a thing or two along the way, but I am sure someone will jump in and correct me.

Norm