5'8, 150 lbs, warm back sleeper , male. mattress layer recommendations?

I’ve been researching a lot, learning a lot, but still unable to decide what might be best for me.

I kind of want the thinnest mattress possible, unless it’s really not going to be as comfortable. I don’t want anything thicker than about 10", and I’m wondering if I can go as thin as 6-7" inches - considering that I’m only 150 lbs and mostly a back sleeper - or is that a bad idea? I have an adjustable bed frame, which is another reason I don’t want a real thick mattress, and I’m thinking it would be nice to have a thinner mattress that conforms to the frame better.

I have some lower back pain - not that bad usually, but I want to make sure my back is supported, but don’t want to go overboard on firmness since I don’t weigh that much.

If I buy or DIY a thin 6-7" or so mattress, should I definitely get a firm bottom layer? Glancing through several sites, some suggested a medium bottom layer, and others firm. seems like most people go with dunlop for the bottom layer, but since talalay supposedly breathes better, wouldn’t it be better to go with a firm talalay layer on bottom?

For the top layer, can anyone suggest soft or medium for me (150 lbs back sleeper)? Talalay or dunlop? I’m used to memory foam firmness ratings, and I think all these latex ratings are probably firmer(?), plus I read the feel of talalay and dunlop is quite different, so I really have no idea what might work best.

I know this is all very subjective and everyone is different, but the problem is, I don’t know of any place locally to even try a latex mattress, so I’m thinking I might just have to guess at it and hope for the best lol.

I was also considering a latex mattress with pocket coils, especially since they supposedly sleep a tad cooler. Do you think that would be worthwhile? (probably not possible in thin mattresses).

@Arizona_Premium

Firm Talalay for 6" base core and 2" Soft Talalay for a little cush on top is what I would recommend.

1 Like

Could a wool topper be an option? Might help with the heat slightly better than latex?