6” Talalay Medium Core vs 6” Caliber Edge Pocket Coil

Hi All,

I currently have an all Talalay mattress; 6" medium core with 3" medium comfort layer.

What would be the difference in feel between the 6" Talalay core vs swapping it out for the 6" Caliber Edge pocket coil unit?

Details are 5’8" & 168lbs. I’ve become a mixed side / back sleeper. I bought the current setup when I was a predominantly back sleeper but find it’s not currently the best on my side.

Thanks in advance.

Hi SoCal91105.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

Generally speaking, people find coils to offer a firmer and cooler sleeping experience. The cooling comes from the airflow through the coils (that foam just doesn’t allow for).

What is it you’re looking for in terms of feel from your bed? Are you wanting something softer? Something more supportive?

Could it be that the comfort layer is the culprit and not the core?

NikkiTMU

Hi Nikki.

I think I’m looking to soften it up a bit as I find that sleeping on my side, a little more these days. My hips / shoulders are sore when I wake up.

To give some backstory.

When I started this process 3 years ago, I went multiple times (probably 5x) to the trusted member’s showroom in my area. I looked at an all Talalay mattress (firm-med-soft and firm-med-med) as well as a hybrid with 8" Combi-Zone Quantum Edge Elite with 3" soft and 3" medium Talalay. I initially went with the hybrid with the 3" medium Talalay comfort layer as I felt that my lower back was better supported than with the 3" soft comfort layer. Ultimately, I returned the hybrid; I felt that the zoned springs were too firm in the hip / shoulder area as well as there was a defect with the zippered casing. Maybe if the springs weren’t zoned that would have been better solution?

The 2nd attempt was an all Talalay mattress consisting of a 6" medium core and 3" medium comfort layer which is the current setup. At the time 2-3 years ago, I was around 200 lbs. now I’m at 168 so obviously that will have an impact on the feel. Having said that, I can’t really say the mattress was ever nirvana.

Is the medium 3" just not conforming since the medium core isn’t firm enough? I thought maybe having the 6" pocket coil might enhance the feel without going too soft.

Thanks again.