6'7'' male - 210 lbs - low back pain - Overwhelmed by all the options!

Hello!

I figured posting in here might be easier than continuing to search in the seemingly endless amount of mattress research available.

My wife and I currently have a 14 year old memory foam mattress that’s seen better days. I am having a fair amount of low back pain recently and I know it’s due to the mattress. That being said, we are struggling to decide on which direction to go.

I know we want the separate adjustable base as I go to bed 2-3 hours before her and she likes to read/get stuff done on her phone at night in bed. Other than that, I’m open to suggestions. We both prefer a medium firmness on our mattress. I also didn’t realize how much impact a pillow could have, so we will be purchasing new pillows as well.

If you were me, what direction would you head next? I’m located in St. Louis, MO, so if there are stores we should visit, let me know.

Thanks for the help and suggestions!

Dan

Hi Dan,

Welcome to the Mattress UnderGround and joining as a new MUGster.

While knowing the specific memory foam mattress you’ve been using would be beneficial, the bottom line is that it’s no longer serving you well. Given your stature, it’s understandable that your mattress may have softened to the point of causing discomfort and back pain.

You have two main paths ahead. You can either stick with memory foam or explore alternatives like latex or natural fibers and foams. These options offer similar comfort to memory foam but tend to be more durable and longer-lasting.

Transitioning to a different mattress material can sometimes be a shock to the body, potentially leading to either positive or uncomfortable experiences.

Regarding separate bases, there are a couple of options to consider. One possibility is a split head king, which provides individualized articulation for the upper body without requiring two entirely separate bases. However, this option may necessitate special sheet sets. On the other hand, opting for two separate bases offers complete independent movement, superior motion isolation, and personalized comfort for each sleeper.

Your choice of pillows can significantly impact your sleep comfort, influenced by factors such as mattress firmness, sleep position, shoulder width, and personal preference.

Things to consider:

1. Memory Foam: The density of memory foam is crucial for durability. Opt for a density of at least 4lb or 5lb. If your mattress includes HD polyfoam, a minimum density of 1.8lb is recommended, but for your size, you might prefer 2lb or higher.

2. Hybrid Mattresses: If you choose a hybrid mattress, aim for a medium firmness by selecting springs in the range of 13.5-14.5 gauge. Variations in the number, height, turns, and diameter of the springs play a significant role in the mattress feel.

3. Latex: Latex provides pressure relief and contouring similar to memory foam but offers a slightly different overall feel. It tends to be less heat retentive than memory foam, providing a more buoyant and less heat-trapping experience.

4. Heat Retention: Memory foam tends to retain heat, causing you to sink as it warms up and potentially leading to overheating during sleep. Latex, on the other hand, offers a more buoyant feel and doesn’t retain heat to the same extent, reducing the likelihood of sleeping hot.

I recommend taking random trips to a few mattress showrooms and testing out various mattress materials. Resist the urge to make quick decisions; some mattresses may feel great simply because they’re different from the one causing you pain at home. Look for companies that transparently provide specifications for each section and layer of their mattresses. If a company hides what’s inside, there’s likely a reason they don’t want you to know.

Take notes and rule out mattresses that feel too soft immediately. Remember that most mattresses will soften over time, with many front-loaded to soften within the first few months. You don’t want to end up with a mattress that becomes too soft, as adding a topper rarely can firm a mattress up for any length of time and is at its best when maintaining firmness or adding longevity.

Once you’ve narrowed down your choices, go home and review them thoroughly. Read independent reviews from sources outside the company’s website to get an unbiased sense of the mattress, the manufacturer, and the seller’s policies on trials, returns, restocking fees, refunds, and return shipping fees.

Afterward, revisit the showroom and try out your shortlisted mattresses again. Spend at least 20-30 minutes lying on each mattress to replicate the conditions for sleep readiness and the time it typically takes to comfortably fall asleep. This thorough process will help ensure you make an informed decision that leads to better sleep quality in the long run.

Hopefully, this guidance provides you with valuable insights as you embark on your quest for a new mattress. In an era of intense competition and pervasive marketing tactics from mattress companies, transparency can be elusive. By arming yourself with knowledge and taking a discerning approach, you can navigate through the noise and make a decision that aligns with your needs and preferences.

Best of luck on your mattress journey!

Maverick

I looked at the tag last night and it’s a Monaco brand, Prototype ID BRK0013. We bought it off Amazon 14-15 years ago with little research and it’s worked out great. Made in China. I tried searching the mattress and ID online and couldn’t find it, so not sure about the material other than it’s a memory foam mattress.

That being said, you think we should stick with memory foam since our bodies are already accustomed to this?

Dan

1 Like

I’m not a big advocate for memory foam, except when it’s used as an assist in the comfort layer, and even then, latex is a better more durable alternative. However, if you’re a fan of memory foam, it’s best to look for mattresses that use a minimum of 4lb or 5lb memory foam. Typically, the support layer would be some type of high-density foam, as an all-memory foam mattress wouldn’t be supportive enough.

Most people tend to resist change, but sometimes change can be beneficial, especially as we age and our needs evolve.

Considering your size, stature, and the abundance of poor-quality foams in today’s market, finding a mattress as satisfactory as your previous Amazon purchase might be more challenging. Quality materials with consistent specifications are worth considering.

I recommend trying out a few mattresses before making a decision. Spend at least 20-30 minutes lying on each one to simulate the time it takes for the average person to fall asleep and for their body to adjust to the foam and experience that expected memory foam “sink.”

Maverick