9" or 10" latex mattress

Hello. I’ve decided to go with sleepez to make my mattress. What is the advantage of 10" over 9"? Is there one? Or even 8"?
I’m a small person, planning on using it on an adjustable base. Thanks!

Hi Mousehouse,

All of these models use a 6" base of latex (with two 3" layers that can be chosen separately) so the real difference between them is in the thickness of the comfort layer which can be either 2" or 3". The “special” also has an unquilted cover while the 9000 and the 10000 has a cover quilted with wool which will also affect the feel and performance characteristics of the mattress (they also have the option of using the unquilted cover).

The choice between these depends on a lot of interacting factors but in general it depends on height/weight/and body shape considerations and also on sleeping positions. In general … stomach and side sleeping needs thinner comfort layers because they are “flatter” and side sleeping can use thicker comfort layers because it has more pressure points. The closer to the firmer support layers you are the more you will feel the support layer. Changing the firmness level of the support layers can also affect the choice of which comfort layer may work best. All of this is part of the many complex factors that are involved in a layer thickness choices and mattress design.

There’s a lot more information and some general guidelines about how height weight and body shape can affect your choices here and about different sleeping positions here. The choices are also affected by how the different layers can be put together and interact and there’s more information about this in the overview here and in the more detailed pages in the same section.

Your lighter weight increases the odds that a 2" comfort layer may be suitable but this would also depend on your sleeping position and on the firmness of the layer below it (you will be closer to the core and feel more of its characteristics with a thinner comfort layer). A non quilted elastic cover will also put you closer to the latex and you would feel it’s properties more and it will conform a little better but you would lose the benefits of having wool in the quilting.

Outside of the general guidelines though that are based more on “averages” … it’s usually much better to talk directly to the manufacturer about which choice may work best for your specific and unique needs and preferences. They know all the fine details of every component and choice available in their mattresses and how they interact with different body types and sleeping styles and also have a large database of customers that would be similar to you which can act as a guideline. Some local testing on mattresses that use similar layers or materials can also help them to help you even better (so they can know where you may be different from the “averages”)

Shawn or Jeremy are very good at going through your options with you and making sure that your choice is the best one possible. The more you have developed a sense of the general types of layering you prefer from local testing … the more accurate they can be with their guidance.

Phoenix

After talking with Shaun, I ordered a 3" all natural talalay soft topper to see if I can a) tolerate the smell and b) see if it is soft enough. Yes to both! It is so awesome! Even on my 7yr old sterns and foster. My follow up question is…I’m going to order the 7" mattress next. Think it’s ok to use the blended talalay for this part? I need to order an adjustable base as well, hoping to save the difference between blended and “organic”. I have a large sample of the blended, and so far so good with the odor. Was just curious if it’s ok to mix the two. Thanks!!!
Ps. the velour cover on the topper is fantastic!

Hi Mousehouse,

Unless you have a specific reason to choose the all natural Talalay, I would personally lean towards the blended anyway. It comes in a wider variety of firmness choices , is as durable as the all natural (and more durable in the softest ILD’s), and is also less expensive. In other words … for most people … it is better value. They have also both been certified to the same standard (Oeko-Tex standard 100 class 1) for harmful chemicals and offgassing.

Dunlop on the other hand is the other way around and the extra cost of 100% natural vs blended Dunlop is well worth it IMO in terms of both performance and durability. I would personally not pay the extra cost of the “organic” Dunlop over the 100% natural Dunlop though because organic certification of the latex raw materials (and the actual core itself is not certified … only the raw latex used to make it) is not as important to me because most of the Hevea Brasiliensis (rubber tree) plantations don’t use pesticides past the first few years anyway and this is stopped long before any latex is harvested from the tree.

Of course these are my own thoughts and preferences and others may have a completely different set of factors that are most important to them in their choices. None of these are “wrong or right” … only personal preferences. The bottom line is that it’s fine to mix them yes.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=5262]Hi Mousehouse,

All of these models use a 6" base of latex (the 9000 and the 10000 uses two 3" layers which creates some extra layering options and the “Special” uses a single 6" core)

Phoenix[/quote]

Phoenix I was talking about this post.

Just to clarify what I was pointing to Phoenix, SleepEZ special is a 3’’ + 3’’ + 2’’ configuration and not a 6’’ + 2’’ configuration.

Hi ikonos,

Sometimes my head is “filled” with different mattresses and layering and when the forum is busy or I am otherwise distracted or multitasking, incorrect information can make its way into my posts. I’d blame it on a gremlin but I don’t think that would fly :slight_smile:

While there are many 6+2" constructions … as you mentioned SleepEz is not one of them either in their regular line or in their special. Thanks for bringing the post to my attention and I’ve corrected the original so that it doesn’t mislead anyone in their research.

Phoenix.