A good mattress for hip/back pain and combo sleepers?

Hi all,

My current mattress, a Sealy Posturpedic, has gone kaput and causing a lot of back pain. I was formerly a side sleeper until about a year ago I injured my hips, causing lots of chronic pain issues. Due to that I’ve transitioned to back sleeping, but the old King mattress is causing back pain issues and I’m looking to get it replaced now.

The users would be:

• Myself/140 lbs; my husband - ~185 lbs
    -I’m a side sleeper/back sleeper and he also is a combo sleeper (and has back pain)
    -I may be having surgery in the near future so I’m also looking for something with good edge support
    -We’re in the Seattle area, but several hours from the city, so mostly looking into options that would be open to delivery and setup

I looked over popular mattresses and was thinking between:

• Winkbed Luxury Firm
    -Saatva Classic Luxury Firm
    -Saatva RX Luxury Firm
  • Helix Midnight

Because I live so far from actual mattress stores (the local high school has an annual mattress fundraiser), customer service is actually a big factor in my purchase decision as well. Price is less of a consideration, since I just need some pain relief. Thanks!

Hi coffeewizard and welcome to the MattressUnderGround as a new MUGster!

If you have had the opportunity to read through our tutorials here at TMU TMU Tutorial you will find that there are mulitple factors that will lead you to a mattress that is properly suited for you and your spouse. Your PPP’s (personal preferences, posture and alignment and pressure relief) will be critical to nailing down what will work for both of you as a sleep solution.

Another factor that I find critically important is the 4 R’s (refund, return, restocking fees, reputation of manufacturer and sometimes a 5th R, reviews by individuals, not by mattress review sites. Mattress review sites can be helpful in showing you “cutaway” views of mattresses. I find this more helpful for information about what is inside the mattress, than what the reviewer is “grading” the mattress.

You have narrowed down to some reasonable choices each with their own characteristics and methods of delivery. Saatva touts they never stuff their mattresses in a box as if that somehow makes them a better choice. While the Saatva may be a fine choice for some, the fact that it is delivered expanded, from my perspective, it not necessarily a selling point, although their white glove service is a plus. The winkbed and helix do come compressed, rolled and boxed, and tend to perform well for folks in your BMI group. Something to consider with the Helix, is the Elite model, a bit more expensive then the core or the luxe, but it offers a zippered comfort layer that can be changed if preferences change, or you need individualized comfort for each of you.

Speaking of individualized comfort and great customer service. @DLX offers their DLX Premier mattress. More of the old school mentality with modern materials and styling that offers an internal split comfort, that might come in handy should that surgery cause changes in your preferences and needs to your side of the mattress. My mother in law is coming off one of the traditional “legacy brand” mattress that failed miserably in two years. She has had two hip replacements, knee replacement, and more recently a horrible spine diagnosis, that her “pothole” producing “S” brand mattress is just not helping matters. I am considering the DLX Premier for her to aid in the necessary comfort, I expect she is going to need going forward.

Mattresses like the @DLX Premier and others, such as the Nest Owl, @TheCleanBedroom Naturepedic EOS are some that offer comfort layers that can be modified should that be something to factor in with your potential current and future needs. All of the Trusted Members here are known for their transparency of product offerings and customer service, which is something to consider as you narrow your choices.

Understandably, it would be preferable to try a mattress before you purchase one. When a manufacturer provides you with the specifications of their mattresses, it doesnt guarantee a perfect match. If you know what you know what you have had, and you know where you are going, it certainly offers insight for the probability of success. When you dont know the specs on the material make up of the mattress you are choosing, it can be a toss up as to whether it will work and meet all your PPP criteria.

This doesnt mean you should abandon any choice you have considered or accept any one suggested. Mattress comfort is a subjective proposition. Trying one in a showroom usually helps you eliminate ones that you just hate the feel right off the bat. It is how it will perform down the line, after it has been in your home and you have slept on it for a while. Which is why the 4R’s are important, along with the trial period.

The nice thing about dealing with the manufacturer directly, is they do it every day. You search for a mattress once every 5, 10 or 15 years. The manufacturers see “you” hundreds of times a day, every day. They have seen it and heard it before and are accustomed to getting it right on the first collaboration, whether in person, or on the phone. No time for gimmicks, yessing folks to death, as they have to face you and deal with you if it doesn’t work. The big box or large conglomerate sees you as a number and the experience is not always the same.

As you continue your search, remember to view your final choices side by side, layer by layer on paper or computer screen to ensure you know what is inside the mattress you are going to be sleeping on every night for the next period of years.

Good luck and if there are any specific questions you have for any Trusted Member just put the “@” symbol before their name and when you see them pop up as you begin to type their name after the @ symbol, they will be notified that you have a question for them.

Best of luck
Maverick

1 Like

I went to Saatva in Los Angeles. I did not like any of their mattresses, but many people were buying them. Saatva Luxury Firm felt ok.

I would go Aireloom Preferred Luxetop M1 Firm or Plush. I like M1 Firm myself. They also have M2 Firm and Plush. Dont buy Aireloom from Macys because that is a cheaped version and where the bad Aireloom reviews come from.

M1 Firm felt good on my back and side. Has nice top layer of latex with a support base of coils.

John

1 Like

Obviously, go through the excellent TMU mattress tutorial.

John

1 Like

Thanks Maverick and billyidol - the tutorials were a great help and after learning a bit more, I’m interested in the DLX Premier Hybrid or Nest Owl Latex Hybrid.

There’s actually a Nest showroom close to me, so I thought about trying that one out in stores, but I actually see that the foam in that one is a 1.5 lb versus denser foams in the Sparrow. I’m assuming that’s a result of it being a latex hybrid. I plan on giving it a try this weekend and seeing how it feels since I’ve never laid on a latex version. Appreciate Billy’s suggestion of the Aireloom and I will check that out as well!

1 Like

1.8lb borders on the lowest density you want to have in your mattress particularly form the perspective of heavier sleepers. That would be the minimum density of more durable HD foams. There are many manufacturers using 1.5lb density in conjunction with other higher density and durable foams and materials producing nice quality and thoughtfully designed mattresses which are quite good, durable and offer nice longevity, but the more dense the material, the more durable it is said to be. In many cases, it may become a BMI issue. Depending on how the mattress is constructed, someone exceeding 200-200lbs, may benefit from 2.0 - 2.8lb density HD foam. The increased density is recognized as being more durable when the foam is produced with higher quality standards.

One of the issues I have with aireloom, despite it being a nice mattress, is they typically will use a perimeter edge foam to encase the coil support layer, posing it as a better edge support system. There may be merit to that style of edge support, although edge to edge coil support seems to offer more reasons to provide a long term, better support system when done with quality materials.

Certainly, there are folks that will debate both sides of that argument, each with their own reasons for and against. If you are interested in a video that highlights the various styles of support systems, here is one that offers a nice explanation of options out there. Edge Support Options.

Good luck with whatever choice you make!

Thank you very much! TMU has been a great resource for learning more about this big purchase.

1 Like

With Aireloom….if you get a Cal King….the foam
border doesnt matter. It is so big.

@maverick, thank you for the mention.

For individuals weighing around 140 lbs and ~185 lbs who are side sleepers, back sleepers, or combination sleepers (and may also experience back pain), the Premier Hybrid is a highly recommended option. Many people with these weights and sleep positions have reported positive experiences with the Premier Hybrid.

Regarding DLX, one drawback is that we currently do not offer in-home setup and removal services.

While most users find that the DLX Premier Hybrid offers good edge support, some individuals may require more robust edge support than what is typically available on the market. The highest level of edge support is found in mattresses equipped with a border rod, which is a metal rod running around the perimeter of the top and bottom of the spring unit (sometimes available with pocket coil and open coil mattresses), along with added metal edge springs around the perimeter. However, these features are not commonly found, so it’s important to verify with the company whether they are included. We advise against foam encasement for edge support, especially if someone frequently sits on the edge of the bed, as these tend to perform less effectively. It’s worth noting that mattresses with border rods and edge springs are not available from most online companies or mattresses that ship in a box like DLX.

1 Like

@DLX Thanks for that valuable information.

While the incorporation of metal edge springs and border rods around the mattress perimeter undoubtedly enhances the overall edge support system, there seems to be a common misunderstanding among individuals regarding this feature when comparing a hybrid mattress.

Many individuals assess the edge support by sitting on the edge of their hybrid mattress. If it slightly sinks, they may jump to the conclusion of poor edge support. While this may be the case in certain instances, there are scenarios where the edge support is actually quite robust.

In my experience, when individuals lie along the full length of the mattress edge, as I often do, the body receives comprehensive support. Pocketed springs, like those featured in your DLX Premier, are crafted to distribute the sleeper’s weight across a broader surface, as opposed to someone sitting with all their weight concentrated in a 12-24" square area.

It’s understandable that people might visit a “chain or big box” showroom, where they are presented with mattresses boasting super high-density encased edge foam. However, they may later discover that, despite the initial promise, the mattress edge succumbs to “seat cushion” depressions within months. This occurs when the mattress edge is inadvertently used as a chair rather than the intended sleeping environment.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on this perspective!

1 Like

@Maverick Good point. There are essentially two aspects to consider when discussing edge support in mattresses.

Firstly, there’s the requirement for edge support when using the mattress for activities like sitting on the edge to put on shoes, etc. This can be particularly important in small living spaces where the edge of the bed serves as a makeshift seat frequently. For such scenarios, the presence of a border rod and edge springs becomes important.

Secondly, there’s the need for the mattress to provide adequate support while sleeping near the edge without the sensation of rolling off. In this case, a pocket coil without dedicated edge supports can still offer satisfactory performance if it incorporates firmer rows of coils running head to foot. Additionally, it’s worth noting that most springs typically offer a higher support factor compared to polyurethane foam, providing a more uplifting experience and better overall edge support.

It’s important to consider additional factors such as the type and amount of foam layered above the pocket coil. For instance, a configuration with 4 inches of 1.8-pound foam may offer better edge support compared to 8 inches of 1.2-pound foam despite both being placed over a pocket coil system.

1 Like