About to be married, need help buying mattress!

Hi typesomethingwitty,

Yes this is correct and you didnā€™t miss it. They mentioned it to one of the forum members a couple of days ago as an option who mentioned it on the forum. Itā€™s not listed as an option on the description and it had never come up in my conversations with them. They may even have just decided to make it available in response to requests or conversations. There is no extra cost for this to my knowledge because they just use two twin XL layers instead of a single King layer.

Phoenix

Thanks again, Phoenix!

Sounds like a nice bonus I should take advantage of, assuming itā€™s as you understand it! Question, thoughā€¦something Iā€™ve wondered: If instead of one KING layer you have two TWIN XL layers that lay side by side, are there issues where the two layers meet? Obviously, there is the issue where, if you slept in the middle, one side of your body would be on a firmer layer, the other side on a softer layer. But beyond that. Is there a gap? Can it become a trouble spot?

I have to decide what 3" latex layer (or layers) I want relatively soon becauseā€¦

I just made my purchase.

The King size ā€œUltimate Dreams Eurotop Latex Mattressā€ is due to arrive between September 19 and September 24. Based on what Iā€™ve read, Iā€™ll receive an email from the manufacturer later tonight or tomorrow requesting confirmation on the firmness level. (Update: Just received the email.)

Wifeā€™s stats:

Since she sleeps almost exclusively on her side, my wife has said she would want a ā€œ4ā€ firmness level (1 being firmest, 10 softest). Given how lightweight she is, I wonder if upping it to a ā€œ5ā€ would help the mattress better conform to her body. Thoughts?

My stats (a reminder):

I am a large guy who is a combination sleeper. In a given week, I might sleep exclusively on my back. Another week, Iā€™ll sleep on my side half the time. Another week, Iā€™ll sleep on my stomach for long stretches. And, just to mix it up, in another week I might rotate between all three positions.

Since Iā€™m not exclusively a back sleeper, my guess is my firmness level should be near my wifeā€™s: a 4 or 5. I want it to be comfortable (soft beds in mattress showrooms make me want to kick off my shoes and take a nap), but also supportive.

What do you think, Phoenix?

Hi typesomethingwitty,

No it wouldnā€™t become a trouble spot because latex is ā€œstickyā€ and one edge wouldnā€™t slide over the other easily and there would also not be a gap between them with a well fitting cover. The quilting would also even out any split and while as you mentioned there would be a noticeable difference between the sides (which is the reason for the split layer) and you may feel this if you were in the middle ā€¦ you wouldnā€™t be feeling the ā€œsplitā€ itself and with the quilting there wouldnā€™t be a ā€œsuddenā€ change. There is more about this in post #2 here.

Wow ā€¦ your events are moving faster than my ability to reply to forum posts! Congratulations on your new mattress (for the second time) even though you havenā€™t quite decided on the firmness level(s) of each side :slight_smile:

Given her lighter weight and side sleeping (which points to thicker softer) ā€¦ I would also think a 5 would be closer to her needs and even that may be firmer than the ā€œaveragesā€ indicate. This would also depend on her preferences though because some people who are lighter and thinner (less curvy) will often prefer firmer than their height/weight would normally indicate otherwise. They feel like it provides more ā€œfreedomā€ of movement if they tend to ā€œsprawlā€ over the mattress and with their lighter weight may not be as sensitive to pressure issues. While a 5 equates to 32 ILD (which would be much firmer than most lighter side sleepers would normally choose) ā€¦ the quilting layer will also make a big difference and soften the comfort layer below itā€™s latex rating. I would probably suggest a conversation with Chuck (rather than an email) because he is very good at listening to feedback and making suggestions based on his more specific knowledge of the mattresses they make but my sense is (absent any specifics of her preferences or feedback on beds that are known to be firmer) that she may want to go a little softer.

Again it would depend on more specifics and a reference point that was known but since you are a big guy with multiple sleeping positions ā€¦ a 4 or 5 would seem more in line with your needs than your wifeā€™s (who is significantly lighter). Again though ā€¦ I would talk with Chuck because they can also suggest a few other ā€œalterationsā€ in the type of quilting they use which can offer a bit more fine tuning. As a general rule ā€¦ for those who sleep on their stomach then ā€œjust barely enoughā€ to provide good pressure relief on your side is usually best for alignment in your other sleeping positions especially your stomach. I would err on the side of firmness because a protector, mattress pad, or thin topper can make adjustments for a mattress that is too firm but too soft is much more difficult to correct. If you are ordering the exchangeable layers though ā€¦ then you would retain the option of being able to change in either direction which in this case seems to make sense given the complexities of each of you alone and the differences between you. Overall though and based on averages and the specs you have given (here and before) ā€¦ what you are suggesting would seem to me to be in your range.

Phoenix

Hey, Phoenix. As always, thank you for your help.

This is what I assumed. Since our two sides wouldnā€™t be drastically different in firmness (itā€™s not as though I would be getting a ā€œ1ā€ and sheā€™d be getting a ā€œ10ā€), thereā€™s really not a tangible downside that I can see in getting two different firmness levels.

Thanks! (For the second time!) :slight_smile:

In picking my wifeā€™s brain earlier during lunch (under the premise we were discussing mattresses for our purchase in ā€œNovemberā€), I was able to get to the bottom of her mattress mindset. She likes soft/plush mattresses (which given her light weight and side sleeping, makes sense), but sheā€™s always heard ā€œfirm mattresses are betterā€ for you. This is why, in mattress showrooms, sheā€™d fall in love with super soft mattresses, but when it came time to discuss what to buy sheā€™d say she needed a ā€œ4ā€ firmness level.

I know, thanks to your site, that what matters are COMFORT and SUPPORT. My wife is equating ā€œfirmnessā€ with support (i.e. spinal alignment). This good-quality latex/polyfoam mattress will have the support she desires AND can have the comfort she mistakenly believes she must compromise on in order to GET said support.

So, she has said ā€œ4ā€. She is getting a 6.

I have known since I settled on this latex mattress my ideal firmness level would be a 4 or 5. With Chuckā€™s help further clarifying the differences in the different levels, I chose a 5. Left to my own devices, I may have gotten a 4. But with my wife getting a 6, I like the idea of our two sides not being too dramatically different.

Thank you, again, for all your help during this process. Hopefully (fingers crossed!) it will work out this time!

Hi typesomethingwitty,

[quote]I know, thanks to your site, that what matters are COMFORT and SUPPORT. My wife is equating ā€œfirmnessā€ with support (i.e. spinal alignment). This good-quality latex/polyfoam mattress will have the support she desires AND can have the comfort she mistakenly believes she must compromise on in order to GET said support.

So, she has said ā€œ4ā€. She is getting a 6.[/quote]

Well said ā€¦ and this is especially true because of the nature of latex which can offer both to a greater degree than other types of foam with a lower compression modulus and less ā€œpoint elasticityā€ (ability to conform to a body shape). I think you made a good choice for both of you and your reasoning is sound IMOā€¦

I have no doubt that it will. I know the people behind the mattress and there are certainly no ā€œwarning signsā€ this time. Iā€™m looking forward to hearing about both of your experiences with the mattress and especially her reaction when the mattress in ā€œNovemberā€ arrives a little earlier than ā€œexpectedā€ :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Living in the metro Atlanta area, this thread has been extremely helpful to me! Thank you for all the valuable information. I have contacted some of the local manufacturers and will sample their service and products soon. Will also consider ordering online, perhaps from Brooklyn Bedding or another manufacturer. Many thanks.

Hi sleeplessinatlanta,

Iā€™m glad you found us and that the forum could help you.

I hope you let us know what you end up deciding and of course any questions or feedback along the way is always welcome :slight_smile:

Phoenix