Accomodating a side sleeper with back pain, and stomach sleeper

Hello.

I have been doing quite a bit of research on this forum, and thank you all for the information. What a great site!!

I was looking for some guidance on a model recommendation. My wife and I are looking for our first foam mattress, and are using the Tempurpedic models as a basis for comparison. I don’t know if we will be able to figure out which model is best for both of us through brief local store visits. We’re down to two, maybe three manufacturers, recommended in this forum, but need to decide on the model before deciding on the brand. So here’s the guidance “ask”…given our facts below, which Tempurpedic model would be most accomodating to both of our needs, the Rhapsody Breeze, or Allura? I am assuming the Cloud Supreme is too soft for the stomach sleeping, but perhaps I am incorrect?

Thanks for your advice!

Me - 6’3", 230 lb, bad back and shoulders, mostly side with some stomach sleeping
Her - 5’8", 170 lb, mostly stomach sleeping

Hi NY-Dave,

Just for clarification … a “foam” mattress could be polyfoam, memory foam, or latex foam … but based on the mattresses you are looking at it seems your preference of the three foam types is memory foam.

Based on your weight … I would tend to look at memory foam in the 5 lb range of higher because lower density memory foam will be less durable with heavier body types.

With stomach sleeping I would also tend towards thinner and/or firmer comfort layers because of the risk of sleeping in a swayback position with thicker and/or softer comfort layers. The lower density and softer comfort layers would make the Cloud Supreme the most risky choice but there is no reliable formula that can help with making a choice based on “theory at a distance” because each person can be unique (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Your own careful and objective testing using the mattress testing guidelines in the tutorial post is the best way to know which mattress is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP. I would plan on more than a “quick” visit when you are testing mattresses.

If you exclude the Cloud Supreme … then out of the two remaining options you mentioned then the Rhapsody would probably be less risky for a stomach sleeper than the Allura because it’s a little firmer but it would take some personal testing to make sure that it also provided enough pressure relief for you when you are on your side. Again though, there are too many unknowns, variables, and different body types to rely on “theory” and I would always use your own testing whenever possible to confirm which one is best for you based on your actual experience.

Phoenix