Add Firm or Medium Latex?

I need to add another layer of latex to my DIY mattress… looking for advice since I can’t really return what I buy.

My “mattress” is made of two medium latex layers totalling 3.3" then two soft latex layers totalling 3.5". Not surprisingly, it feels like I need one more layer. I would like to add either a 2" or 3" firm layer or a 2" or 3" medium layer. I would also consider adding a non-latex layer to the bottom, but have doubts about whether it would work for me (due to previously sleeping on upholstery foam with memory foam topper).

I most likely need to place my “mattress” directly on the floor. Or on top of medium-thickness plywood on the floor. Current floors are old-fashioned hardwood.

(Actually, right now I have 2 thin things underneath my latex but I think those are causing me problems since there is a seam. I am hoping to remove those once I get another layer.) In the future, I was hoping to put a standard boxspring on the floor then the medium plywood, then all of my latex layers.

I have a collagen disorder (connective tissue disorder) so I think that it makes me need extra support. However, I am more of a side sleeper. My current top layers seem to give me the most softness/sinking that I need, and I am not sure that I would want those to be firmer feeling. I am tempted to try firmer and force myself to sleep more and more on my back, as this might help my joints/muscles/etc over time. But I am also worried that I might hate it.

@Sleep_EZ
@TheCleanBedroom
@Arizona_Premium

I know that typically it’s 3" firm latex at the bottom, so I am leaning toward that, but I was also considering a grid (I like Purple’s pillow). I have slept on this for a long while and wonder if it’s causing me problems, other than it feels a little shallow when I’m on my side. I am 120 lbs. Does the fact that I’m putting it directly on the floor change anything?

Hi Ster and welcome to the forums! I recommend a 3" firm Dunlop layer to add to the bottom of the mattress, but please keep in mind that this will actually make the entire setup softer than it is now, and I’m happy to explain why. Imagine you’re sleeping directly on the floor, which is as firm of a setup as you can get. If you add 3" of extra firm latex to the floor, your “sleep setup” will be softer because you’re 3" farther away from the floor, and you have 3" of material that’s softer than the floor between yourself and the floor, making it softer. If you add 6" of extra firm latex to the floor, it will feel even softer because you’re now 6" away from the very firm layer. Basically, the farther away you get from whatever the mattress is resting on, the softer it’s going to be, as long as the material between yourself and the floor is softer than the floor itself.

The mattress should feel the same whether it’s on the floor or on a slatted foundation, as long as the slats are less than 3" apart and they’re not flexible or anything like that. For foundations, anything solid and sturdy will work just fine. The only types of foundations you want to avoid are slatted foundations where the gaps are more than 3" apart or box springs (with actual springs in them). Latex foam is a naturally breathable, open celled product and a slatted foundation is not necessary for the mattress to sleep cool. A slatted foundation will enhance the breathability but certainly isn’t necessary because the mattress will breathe on all exposed sides.

2 Likes

Hi Ster :wave: and welcome!

We have a board under our mattress. One thing I would say is check with the manufacturer, as the latex may need to breathe. To facilitate this, we drilled some holes in the board under ours, as we have the type of latex that would need to breathe.
Good luck!

2 Likes

When dealing with medical issues such as yours unfortunately we have to throw out the normal recommendations because at this point it comes down to what works best for you and only you can determine that. It’s just going to be trial and error so firmer may help and it may be worse. Just being truthful.

3 Likes