Adding Comfort Layers for a Stomach Sleeper and Back/side Sleeper

Hello,

I’ve been having the hardest time troubleshooting my husband and I’s sleep issues. We bought a queen size mattress that we had both laid on the in the store for at least 30 minutes, and found comfortable, seemed to be good alignment in both of our sleeping styles, all that good stuff. It’s an innerspring mattress from a local store (Buis Mattress) with progressive resistance coils. Standard double sided, not a pillowtop in any way. The comfort layers are just 2" of quality foam of medium softness. Purchased in September 2018.

I love the mattress as it is. I sleep mostly on my stomach/side (not flat on belly, but partially turned with one leg out, so that it is half stomach/half side). I am a 140 lb, 5’ 4" female. My husband sleeps on his back and on his side, properly, unlike me. He is 5’7" and 160 lbs. My husband can’t sleep on his side with the mattress as it is, it sounds like it causes discomfort at pressure points.

So, since he was having a hard time, we purchased a 2" 20ILD Dunlop latex mattress topper from Sleep on Latex. They thought this was the best solution for us, and that a thinner or firmer topper wouldn’t have the desired effect. Sadly though, it drove me crazy. He loved it, it seems to relieve his pressure point issues. My lower back was killing me by the morning, very sore, even if my arms and upper back are a little happier. So, we returned that and purchased a 2" 27 ILD medium dunlop mattress topper. Same thing. My lower back is super sore in the morning. Husband is still happy.

I’m not sure what to do at this point. Should I return for a thinner topper? Of what firmness? Exchange for a firmer topper of the same thickness? I’ve been all over the forums, and am having a hard time finding anything quite like this scenario. And with the lower back pain, am starting to see why some people on this forum become so helpless and ask such basic questions-they’re desperate!

I wouldn’t mind a little more softness in the top, so I don’t mind having a mattress topper, it’s just a matter of finding one that works for both me and my husband. Any help would be so appreciated!

Hello Kennyj and thank you so much for reaching out! It sounds like the two of you need a mattress designed for a “his & hers” side because you have different mattress needs cause by disparate weights and different sleeping positions. This is something we make for many customers. My suggestion would be to look for a mattress with a “his & hers” setup that also has a pocketed coil base, since you seem to be used to the feel of a pocketed coil mattress. You would want medium Talalay for your side and soft Talalay for his side for the top layer. We’re introducing a new mattress model that is setup exactly like this, and you can be the first to try it if you’d like. It will be a 2-chambered mattress that will have a pocketed coil base and a top section of latex. The top section will contain 3" of latex and you can choose one firmness for your side and another firmness for your partner’s side. Additionally, the layers are exchangeable, so if you try it and it’s too soft or too firm, you can exchange one half or both halves of the latex to get the mattress dialed in for your specific needs and preferences.

Hi,

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately since the mattress is new, and otherwise in good condition, and provides good deep support, we’re going to stick with the mattress we have. We’re not looking to spend much on a solution.

Can you tell us about the coils that will be used?

We will be using a Leggett & Platt Quantum Edge Coil, which has extra coils for perimeter support.

Can you be more specific about the coil unit, such as the number of coils used (in a Queen for example) and the gauge? I’d just like to know how firm the unit would be.

Quantum Edge® Elite - L&P Bedding Group is the page and you download the specs.