adjustable bed hunting exhausted & exasperated

So my wife wants an adjustable bed with a foam mattress. I visited my local retailers who all want exorbitant amounts of money for a bed and mattress. I gave up on that but did gain knowledge of manufacturer names that I’ve been able to find them online for less. At this point I just want it done reasonable priced and Amazon is offering a Reverie 8Q split King size frame with a Dynasty cool breeze gel memory foam mattress for 2499.00 delivered including set up in the home. I just wanted to know if anyone has ever had this mattress and what they thought of it, I tend to like my mattress on the firmer side so any comments would be helpful as the thought of buying a mattress sight unseen or lay upon is odd to me at the least. Any additional resources for lower cost packages would also be welcome, and any insight on Reverie versus Leggett & Platt beds?

Hi bedsearching,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

You can see some comments about Dynasty in posts #3 and #4 here and a forum search on Dynasty (you can just click the link) will bring up more comments and information about them as well. I would want to know the density of all of the foam layers within the mattress.

I would also keep in mind that there is always some additional risk and uncertainty involved in buying a mattress that is made in China or other imported mattresses that may be subject to longer periods of compression during shipping and storage that can sometimes affect the durability and useful life of the mattress (see post #6 here ).

I would also put much more emphasis on the return policy of an online purchase (and the costs involved) so that you can decide on whether a mattress is a good “match” for you and how well you sleep on it based on your own experience rather than using other people’s experience that may be very different from your own.

Without knowing the density of the foam layers I can’t make any meaningful comments about the other mattresses you mentioned but if you can find out the information in this article about any of them I’d certainly be happy to make some comments about them

There is information about choosing an adjustable bed in post #3 here and the main adjustable bed topic that it links to that can help you choose an adjustable bed based on price vs features comparisons and also includes some retailers that you can use as good sources of information about the features of the adjustable beds. I would consider all the major adjustable bed manufacturers to be closely comparable in terms of reliability so I would use price and feature comparisons to choose between them.

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful … I would always keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you. In many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words … reviews or other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

There are also no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. So your opinion of what you like (on the “firmer side”) is relative only to you and in the end won’t be of much use compared to other people’s opinions, based upon what I’ve previously mentioned.

The best advice I can offer is that you read the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While again nobody can speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else or whether it will be a good “match” in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress … outside of PPP (which is the most important part of “value”), the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new so I would always make sure that you find out the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc.) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences or to other mattresses that they are familiar with than anyone else.

A good online retailer or manufacturer will generally make suggestions that they honestly believe have the best chance of success based on the information you provide them when you talk to them on the phone because this is in both your own and their best interests but again … at the end of the day the only way to know for certain whether any specific mattress is a good match for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP will be based on your own careful testing and/or your own personal experience so if you can’t test a specific mattress in person then the options you have available after a purchase to either exchange the mattress or individual layers or components or return the mattress for a refund (and any costs involved) would generally become a more important part of your personal value equation just in case a mattress you purchase doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

Of course if an online retailer or manufacturer only sells one mattress then that’s the only one they can suggest (although some may have different firmness levels that they can help you choose between) so they will generally suggest trying it and then sending it back if it’s not “good enough” for you to keep (assuming that they have a good trial period and return policy).

Phoenix

Is it true you can put these adjustable bases directly on the floor? I was contemplating one and hesitant about the height and the salesman said no problem using them without legs. Is this a good idea?

Ari<

Some power foundations are designed to be placed directly upon the decks of platform beds (or on the flow or other equally supportive flat surface). You’d want to confirm with the manufacturer that this is indeed recommended with the model you are considering. They’ll usually list this on their web site for the particular product, or in literature that comes with the product. While the legs can be removed from most any power foundation, not all are designed to be used in such a manner, so please confirm this before making any purchase.

Jeff Scheuer
Mattress To Go

Hi Jeff
I had no plans of putting an adjustable base on the floor. I was surprised 2 different sales people at 2 different places assured me it was a fine idea. I think I found one the reverie 8Q which if this particular salesman was knowledgeable will be about 10 inches high. I have to see if there is a retailer who sells that model so I can try it and more importantly measure it …ha
Thanks!

Hey Ari,

Oh, so you were just curious about such an arrangement as mentioned in your first post. I understand.

You have options of 3", 5" and 8" for the leg height on the 8Q, with corresponding overall top-of-deck heights of 10" 12" and 15".

Jeff Scheuer
Mattress To Go

I was curious with maybe a little hope it was an option though I didnt expect it LOL
thanks Jeff!

No problem!

Hi! Check out this adjustable base and memory foam mattress combination. Designed to deliver the best in support and micro adjustments, it brings together the advanced support mattress, designed to eliminate pressure points and provide a cool surface, with a Bluetooth-enabled the adjustable base that features hundreds of individual positions.