Adjustable bed --split king

Hi Everyone
I have read and have researched for days in light of my wife’s decision to buy an adjustable bed and I’m now more confused than when I started :frowning:
Even though I don’t know anything about bedding I have orders to research the subject and pick the best possible adjustable bed and mattress that our hard earned money can buy.
Up to now I think I zeroed in on a mattress type and maybe a brand (natural latex, possibly the therapedic “pure touch” or similar)
My problem at this point is selecting an adjustable base. This is a very confusing topic with no industry standards and a lot of misinformation
I decided to post in your wonderful forum in order to voice some concerns that have come up while im researching my purchase and also to get feedback from other members on features that I might of missed

I identified the features that i think are important for us as follows:

Wall hugger
Zero G
Sleep timer
reliability of the components, motors etc…
raised head/pillow
lumbar support

features not as important but would be nice to have

under bed light
undercarriage pet/child protection
wireless remote
memory settings

features that we would rather not have (keeping it as simple as possible)
massage
bluetooth
usb
speakers etc…

During my research mortar and brick stores and online I realized that the wall hugger design (sometimes called wall snuggler or wall saving) IS NOT A STANDARD TERM AND IS MOSTLY A SCAM.
Im not sure if its a patent issue or not but some of the beds I tried that list this feature do not move back as much as they move forward (even thought they do move a few inches) and therefore by the time the head is raised all the way you are in the middle of the room and the nightstand is behind you
I think that if the bed moved 12 inches away from the wall, the base should move 12 inches back in order to keep you in the same position
wall hugger; I would like to find out which manufacturer offers the full wall hugger design where the head stays close to the wall (not something that sounds like it and doesnt actually work ) and thus concentrate on that manufacturer. (on a side note I was actually told by a salesman at sleepys that its not mechanically possible for that to happen but he was scratching his head when I told him I was a mechanical engineer and showed him a youtube video of it working )

Zero Gravity: head and feet elevate at the same time to a comfortable position where by (i think) the feet are at the same level as the chest.

Sleep timer: a lot of misleading salesman will try to sell you a bed with a “massage sleep timer” rather than the sleep time where the bed defaults to a usually flat position after a period of inactivity AND THEY DENY THE EXISTENCE OF THE SLEEP TIMER FEATURE as I described it

–reliability of the components, motors etc…: this is one of the most important aspects in a purchase of this magnitude due to the use of proprietary electro-mechanical actuators and control boards. The whole concept is extremely simple and electrical actuators are extremely cheap (less that $100.00) but in this case where each manufactures specs are unknown and the control boards are looking for the specific actuator in order to work I dont think they can be replaced by a generic one and that leaves you at the mercy of the manufacturer of the bed to charge extraordinary amounts of money for a $50.00 part
also the warranty of most manufacturers excludes these components
I would like to hear from members here if they have done any research on the reliability of these beds or have found a bed with a good warranty

raised head/pillow; this would be a nice feature so that the pillow portion of the bed raises independently of the back but Im not sure what is called and who offers is in conjunction with the features listed above

lumbar support: self explanatory and mostly usefull

As for the non-important features here is my opinion:

features not as important but would be nice to have

under bed light–can be added later
undercarriage pet/child protection --important if you have kids and pets
wireless remote—wireless is convenient but needs batteries and could be lost
memory settings —its unlikely that everyday your body will require the same position and it doesn’t take long to adjust it manually but it would probably make things easier (and make you lazier)

features that we would rather not have (keeping it as simple as possible)
massage–I definitively dont want it but it seems to come standard with bed that have the other features I want and THERE IS NO WAY A HUMAN BODY COULD BE MASSAGED THROUGH A THICK MATTRESS…end of story…I think its mainly a feature that doesnt cost the manufacturer a lot but seemingly can bring in a lot of revenue by elevating the price of the bed significantly
bluetooth/wifi --can be added with aftermarket solutions, requires expensive addons to work
usb–can be added later
speakers etc…—can be added later

in conclusion I would like to acknowledge that the above statements and preferences are my opinion only and it might not reflect everyones concerns but could probably be used a guideline in your search for your ultimate bed
I would like to ask for your help in finding an adjustable bed with the features listed above and a possible retailer in New Jersey or a reputable online dealer

Thank you for taking the time to read my post
Steve S

HOW ABOUT THIS ONE

https://www.amazon.com/MODEL-ERGOMOTION-SOFTIDE-8300-SPLIT-KING/dp/B00XFKW0NC/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t

Does anyone know how far it stays off the wall while in fully elevated position?

this is the answer I got from the sales person :unsure:

About the “wall huger” feature. Does it go back towards the wall the same distance that it travels forward when it elevates the head?

Showing 1-1 of 1 answers
The HIP area pulls back towards the wall about 4 inches to keep your nightstand within reach. It comes standard with this model. The higher you elevate the more the hip area will pull back. To answer you question yes for the most part the distance will vary based on amount of elevation.

i got this one Rize contempo it goes by different names per your region but i am very happy with it and got it for a great price! wall hugger, massage, head and foot lift, lights under bed, lounge position, zero gravity etc…

Rize contempo
https://www.mattressfirm.com/contemporary_adjustable_motion_power_base-p365.aspx

https://www.amazon.com/Rize-Contemporary-Fully-Electric-Adjustable/dp/B007AG9WTW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1444749246&sr=8-1&keywords=rize+adjustable+bed

ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: customaticbeds.com/product/the-sectional-5/

Stats wrote:

That would be a correct answer. Some brands travel back a bit more than others when elevated, and some brands elevate more than others to allow more of that travel. But that is accurate in describing the basic architecture.

Ronrossell wrote:

The Contemporary is a nice product (we’ve had good response to it) that does have the wall saver feature. Under the Rize brand it will always be called the Contemporary. If someone is a Customatic dealer, it will be called the Sectional 5.

thanks for your reply

https://www.amazon.com/MODEL-ERGOMOTION-SOFTIDE-8300-SPLIT-KING/dp/B00XFKW0NC/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t

My question on the bed linked above was “About the “wall huger” feature. Does it go back towards the wall the same distance that it travels forward when it elevates the head?”

The reply was
it pulls back towards the wall about 4 inches …ok sooo how far away is it from the wall? Please remember that I dont know how much it moved forward so that answer doesnt tell me anything!
let me rephrase this to see if I can actually get an answer
How far away (inches) from the wall is the head with the back fully elevated?
I would love to hear an actual number in inches
Thanks again

The way they measure this is the movement of the “middle” section, as that is the one that stays flat and the only one that you can objectively relate in movement along the X-axis from model to model.

I understand what you’re saying, but the numbers for which you’re asking would all depend upon your initial frame of reference and degree of inclination. For example, if you start from flat and use the joint between section 1 and 2 as your initial reference of where your neck might be, you could measure that as a reference point. As the head section of the bed is elevated and it would move along the X-axis and along the y-axis away from the floor. You could then compare this to the distance that the middle section 3 moved at the same time and come up with a ratio.

This ratio can change with the angle of inclination of the head sections if the prescribed rate of inclination works through different angles with or without corresponding movement of the entire unit sliding back. So as you can see, manufacturers will tend to just give you the amount the whole unit moves back toward the wall.

The easiest way would be to have someone in possession of this item do these measurements for you. Even so, if they provided you data of the hinge between section 1 and 2 moving forward on the X-axis 1.5" while moving up along the y-axis 12", with the center section moving toward the wall on the X-axis at 3", with section 2 being at 60 degrees, that might be a bit abstract to be directly relatable.

Ultimately, it’s obviously best to try the product in person. In lieu of that, you could have a dealer take a video of themselves in the bed with a nightstand next to the unit and it would give you more relatable data I think than actual numbers.

I don’t carry that brand so I can’t provide you data on this but perhaps someone else would be willing to take the time to compile that information who does. I did look at a unit I carry from another brand and noticed that for the first few degrees of head inclination the center section stays relatively put, but then it moves back toward the wall at a faster ration as the head elevation angle increases. I know this rate is different for every brand.

I’m sorry this is not the simple answer you desire, but in reality it’s not a simple question if you want an accurate answer. B)

Hi stats,

[quote] Amazon.com

My question on the bed linked above was “About the “wall huger” feature. Does it go back towards the wall the same distance that it travels forward when it elevates the head?”[/quote]

There are some measurements in this topic for a few adjustable beds but unfortunately the Ergomotion Softide 8300 isn’t one of them.

The distance of the backwards movement of the base (at your hips) is generally less than the distance of the forward movement measured from the top edge of the adjustable away from the wall (so there will be a gap between the wall and the top of the adjustable at full elevation) but as Jeff mentioned the ratio will also vary depending on the inclination and on the elevation where the adjustable begins to move backwards and both measurements along with the height of your torso and your position on the mattress can also affect how easily you can “reach” your bedside table at any particular inclination.

As Jeff also mentioned … your own personal experience or a video would probably provide more accurate information than just the raw numbers.

Phoenix

We recently purchased a split king Legett and Platt Prodigy from Richmond Bedding after months of research which included many hours on this site. Richmond Bedding’s website did not list their prices but provides an explanation on the reason behind this. I really thought this was a gimmick but I figured I had nothing to lose but a few minutes of my time. Their price was several hundred dollars lower than the next best price. While we did have an issue with the white glove delivery service, Richmond Bedding and Leggett Platt both took quick action to resolve the issue. We are very happy with the Prodigy and our new Sleep EZ mattresses. The wall hugger feature on the Prodigy does move you further away from your night stand but still close enough that I can reach and grab a drink, my IPad, and remotes.

Hi Hokie87,

It would be great if you could measure the travel distances and add your measurements to this topic.

Phoenix