Adjustable mattresses for snoring

9 years ago I used this forum to help us find a great latex mattress w/ Spindle Mattress. In an ideal world I would buy another Spindle, but I have developed snoring in the throat that cannot be fixed with a CPap or other device as it is too mild for a medical intervention, but still wakes up my partner who is a very light sleeper.

We were looking at the Sleep Number 360 p5 Smart Bed because it automatically inclines when someone snores.

Then I remembered this forum and how most of these mass-market brands gouge you on price and donā€™t provide the quality to justify that price. So Iā€™m turning to this forum because I would imagine there are smaller brands with similar technology (or different/better solutions) that are priced more fairly. I did a search and most of these discussions are fairly old so itā€™s hard to know what is the current state of the market, particularly with regards to snoring.

Check out Air Pedic mattresses. They have a mattresss that mimics P5. Selectabed.com

John

Air Pedic has 3 chambers per side compared to SN with only 1 chamber.

John

Hi acconrad, and welcome back to the Mattress Underground :blush:

9 years ago I used this forum to help us find a great latex mattress w/ Spindle Mattress. In an ideal world I would buy another Spindle, but I have developed snoring in the throat that cannot be fixed with a Cpap or other device as it is too mild for a medical intervention, but still wakes up my partner who is a very light sleeper.

Sorry that you developed a snoring issue- Glad itā€™s not serious! And also good to hear also that your spindle has been comfortable until now, looking into an adjustable bed. Glad you found the information on the site useful when you bought the Spindle.

Having the Spindle experience you are already aware that in addition to the adjustability, you need to make sure any new mattress has an the appropriate level of comfort and support for you bothā€¦Any mattress is unique to those sleeping on it based on your Stats(height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health issues) and your PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief and Personal preferences). It might help to refresh your knowledge with the Mattress Shopping Tutorial, Mattress Durability Guidelines, and the Mattress Specifications You Need To Know to get a general idea of the different types of materials and components are available, and how long they can last.

Elevating your head can be helpful to reduce snoringā€¦.as would elevating your feet above chest level can help in increasing the circulation of blood between extremities and heart and so providing more oxygen to you to reduce snoring; You didnā€™t provide your Stats, but snoring is most common with back sleepers; per the Mayo Clinic on Snoring when you doze off and progress from a light sleep to a deep sleep, the muscles in the roof of your mouth (soft palate), tongue and throat relax. The tissues in your throat can relax enough that they partially block your airway and vibrate. The more narrowed your airway, the more forceful the airflow becomes. This increases tissue vibration, which causes your snoring to grow louder. Snoring can have causes that arenā€™t due to underlying disease. Examples include nasal congestion, anatomic variation of the nose and soft palate, or alcohol consumption.

We were looking at the Sleep Number 360 p5 Smart Bed because it automatically inclines when someone snores.

I took a look at the Sleepnumber 360 p5; as is unfortunately common with large manufacturers, they are not at all transparent about the density and materials used in their components; itā€™s adjustability is app-controlled and has a 10" profile with a 4" comfort layer of unspecified material. the addition of a base raises the price into the $3000-$4000 range. The idea is that the app ā€˜sensesā€™ a sleepers
condition, like snoring, and adjusts the comfort layers accordingly, may not help everyone; like changing sleep positions or using an elevated adjustable base, you may have other options besides a ā€˜smart sensorā€™ bed that encourages you to confirm from the outside what you already know from the inside. This ā€œsmartnessā€ maybe fun for a while but applied to just everything around us may prove to be a hindrance in the long therm. That being said, only you can be the judge of that and can tell if the mattress is comfortable for you and your partner, so if the P5 feels like it has good comfort and support, and the ā€˜extrasā€™ are worth the sales price, Great! Just not knowing if the comfort layers will break down over the next few years would make me to pause. It may be that youā€™d be paying much extra for this smartness than for the bed itself. Once the fun of it runs out youā€™ll be left with the bed.

Then I remembered this forum and how most of these mass-market brands gouge you on price and donā€™t provide the quality to justify that price. So Iā€™m turning to this forum because I would imagine there are smaller brands with similar technology (or different/better solutions) that are priced more fairly.

Many of the Trusted Members of the site offer various adjustable beds, such as Mattress To Go and also Richmond Bedding now has Reverie adjustable beds (they used to have Leggat & Platt which have about the same quality and features, but stopped drop shipping which makes it prohibitive for online business) as well as latex, gel and hybrid mattresses; by giving them some information like your Stats and PPP, they will be able to help you find a compatible sleep system. Hopefully you can get your snoring issue resolved and enjoy many nights of peaceful sleep.

~ Basilio

Hi acconrad.

Nice to see you back on the forum. :smile:

You may want to combat snoring by addressing the root cause as well.
Here is a video that may prove useful. Dr. Berg has very good advice on many sleep-related issues.

You may want to look into some exercises for snoring & sleep apnea.

Phoenix

Hello acconrad,

Thereā€™s a ton of information out there on sleep apnea but had a personal experience myself and was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea which surprised me. I gave the Cpac machine a good go, tried it at least 6 times and realized there was no way this was my answer. I went in pretty deep in my research and donā€™t claim to know the answers but found a doctor that has some great information and videos about Sleep Apnea. Look up Dr. Stasha Gominak, www.drgominak.com (https://drgominak.com/sleep/). Side note I raised my bed with a 2x4 piece of wood and did other things that Dr.Gominak recommended and Iā€™m happy to say I tested again (2 times) and dropped my sleep apnea form severe to completely normal. All the best and hope you can find the right mattress and solutions to help your situation. Be well.