Advantage of "reversed" progressive layering

What is the benefit of putting a higher ild layer above a lower ild one?

Also, not exactly the same question but close, what is the benefit of putting a lower ild layer under a higher ild one?

Hi MattI0

It depends on a couple of things.

1. The weight of the person.
  2. The thickness of the foam.
  3. The ILD of the foam.

The top layers are a system that react to the weight of the person, and how they sleep (Side, Back, or Stomach). There’s no hard fast rule in my mind. It will depend on the density of the combined system.

Bob

1 Like

Ok, I guess density is not the exact term (if there is really one term)for this, but it seems close enought for the comprehension.I now get the logic. Thanks !!

I am In the research field, so I guess we can subjectivelly evaluate the interaction between all the layer (variable) , but trying to mesure each main effect has on a specific variable is less clear, so common sens comme into play.

Hi MattI0,

It’s my experience that the layers below are firmer and the top layer is softer. The softer layer will accept the body and provide comfort and the lower layer(s) provide support all based on the individual(s) body characteristics.

Bob

1 Like

I’ve actually wondered the same. On a whim, I did medium bottom, hard middle, but I can’t tell if it’s just self-defeating

I wonder if the softer layer under is sinking down instead of helping to sink in

Hi mattl0 and welcome to the Mattress Underground :slight_smile:

As you likely know, any mattress you choose will be based on your Stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health concerns) and your PPP (posture & alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

ILD (indentation load deflection) is a method of determining density by measuring the amount of pressure it takes to compress a 4" square piece of latex rubber by 25%; unlike polyfoam and memory foams, the ILD does directly correlate to density for latex rubber.

You might want to read what @Phoenix has to say about reverse layering in This Thread, progressive layering here as well as their general discussion on layering here. In short, there are instances where a softer layer under a firmer one may be a good sleep solution for sleepers with specific needs…can you let us know what specific solution you are trying to achieve? This will let us make more direct explanations or suggestions!

~ Basilio

1 Like