Advice - Check out my build?

Hello,
I’m hoping for some input regarding my current DIY mattress build.
My current setup:

Quantum 8" Edge Elite Pocketed Coil (Latex Mattress Factory)
1" Sleep on Latex - Pure Green Natural Latex Mattress Topper - Medium (Dunlop)
1" Sleep on Latex - Pure Green Natural Latex Mattress Topper - Firm (Dunlop) (Used as bottom layer)
2" Sleep on Latex - Pure Green Natural Latex Mattress Topper - Soft (Dunlop)
All natural knit bamboo / cotton zip cover

I am a 6"1, 240lb guy. I’ve experimented with layer combinations but don’t find any of them particularly comfortable. I am considering either investing a little more into my DIY setup (see below) or abandoning the DIY approach and going for a store-bought mattress.

What I’m currently looking at:
Latex Mattress Factory / 3" Talalay Latex Mattress Topper (firmness undecided)
Latex Mattress Factory / Natural Quilted Cover (The cover I have now is alright but it’s thin, stretchy and gives a sort of lumpy appearance after 30+ days)

Hoping for some insight - thanks!

Hi Benjamin and thank you so much for reaching out on this! can you please give us some more information about why the current setup is uncomfortable?

Thank you for the reply.
That’s actually a really good question, one that I don’t have a definitive answer to.

I toss and turn all night and don’t wake up feeling rested but I think some of that is a side effect of a medication I am having to take.

I’ve been running on the assumption that I didn’t buy a thick enough comfort layer (on account of my weight) and was thinking 3" of talalay as comfort layer might help. I’m certainly open to suggestions.

Wish I had a more definitive list of why I’m uncomfortable!

Well based on your height and weight, we would normally recommend 3" of medium Talalay to go over the coils, so my advice is to get a 3" medium Talalay layer to replace all of the latex layers you have now to see if that makes things better or worse. I recommend keeping the layers you have now at least until you get the mattress dialed in, just in case you need to use one of your current layers with the new 3" Talalay layer.

Thank you for the input! Yesterday afternoon I decided I’d forgo the zip cover and just do coils + a single layer. Then mattress protector, then make bed. Just going to try it one layer at a time and try to hone in on what feels good, what doesn’t. If I can’t find a solution, I’m putting in an order for 3" talalay :smiley:

Hello. Id highly recommend waiting on the zip cover until you are sure on how many inches is comfortable to you. I made that mistake and got a 15" zip cover from Arizona Premium, only to end up with a cover with way too much slack. Just a thought. Also, I went thru your similar experiences and for me anyways, it turned out to be the coils making my bed uncomfortable no matter wat combo of latex I put on top of it! I ended up getting a cheaply priced already made mattress (12" Crystli) green & cream model and added my latex layers over that and now Im happy! (Plus a nice fiber filled topper for squishness lol Either way I wish u much luck, I know how frustrating it can be and the $$ u end up spending thru it all hurts even worse. Good luck :wink: