Advice in Choosing Mattress

Hello,

I am new to mattress-hunting and to blog-writing, but I would appreciate help in choosing a mattress, as I have only had futons but am now getting old(er) and having pain in my arm that I think is being caused by neck problems that would probably be helped by sleeping on a better type of bed. I don’t want to spend more than necessary, but would like to have a good-quality mattress that will last for a while, and am realizing the hard way that it is worthwhile to spend money on a mattress because of its effect on my health.

I don’t live near any of the stores listed in the Underground membership, and the stores I have found online look better than those I see at the malls near where I live, so I am probably going to have to buy something online, without being able to test it. I am 5 feet, 2 inches tall and 130 pounds, and I recently started having pain in my left arm and numbness in my left hand that I think are due to neck problems. I think I sleep mostly on my side, but sometimes start out on my back.

I found two options – or rather, talked to two very nice people at different stores – and am considering these possibilities:

(1) the Sleep-EZ store’s year-end factory sale Roma all latex, full-size mattress for the great price of $695 with no shipping,

(2) a 6-inch natural rubber core mattress with wool top from A Happy Planet, which costs $1,890 plus $50 shipping.

I would appreciate any advice from the group, or suggestions of other possibilities.

Here are the descriptions of the two mattresses from their websites:

ROMA" all latex mattress finishes at 9" high and is quilted on both sides. Made with 100% natural Dunlop latex. Select the top "Medium Plush " feel or turn mattress over for firm latex comfort. You will still have the unique feel and support with either side.
http://sleepez.com/yearend-special.htm

Oasis Natural Rubber Mattress
The 6-inch natural rubber core, formed using the Dunlop process, increases resilience and allows complete breathability. Natural rubber is extremely resilient, durable and flexible. Natural rubber is surrounded with quilted layers of organic wool (2 lbs. per square yard of wool is needle punched, then quilted), and encased in a removable, organic cotton jersey knit cover, allowing for breathability. The elasticity of the organic knit fabric ensures durability as well.

Thanks,
Lisa

Hi lisa3,

The first place I would start your research is the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices.

SleepEz is one of the members of this site which means that I believe they compete well with the best in the industry.

The 6" natural latex mattress uses good quality materials but I would make some careful value comparisons with other latex mattresses that use the same amount and type of latex that may be in a lower budget range (including the Roma which has 7" of the same type and blend of latex … 100% natural Dunlop … although it has a different cover which is quilted with polyfoam instead of wool). NOTE ADDED: The Roma has since been reduced in price and now has two 3" layers of latex instead of a 3" and a 4" layer.

If you let me know the city or zip you live in I’d be happy to let you know of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you for the advice and caution; the top of the mattress was what I was wondering about the polyfoam in the Roma mattress cover.

I live in Greenbelt, MD, 20770, and would appreciate any suggestions.

Lisa

Hi lisa3,

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Washington, DC area are listed in post #2 here :).

Phoenix