Advice - Memory Foam or Latex, based on my physical stats

Hello, all

I’m new here, and enjoy the site. It’s been very helpful. I’m in the market for a new mattress, and I’m having trouble deciding. I’m male, age 39, 5’11, 210lbs (athletic build, but overweight for me… I’m usually in the 200lb range). Primarily a back sleeper, but often switch to side-sleeping during the night due to leg numbness/back discomfort. Oh, and my girlfriend is about 5’2", and 110lbs.

I tried a memory foam mattress several years ago, but it was very uncomfortable for me. It killed my back, so I sent it back to the store and went back to spring/pillow top. However, I’m not ruling out trying a memory foam mattress again. For one, I had a slight (common) back injury back then, which has since been greatly improved by a chiropractor. Also, I believe the memory foam mattress was a Sealy, so I don’t know what quality it was (and, it was on a regular queen box spring, with no center legs on my bed at the time). I now have a Sleep Master platform, and plan top it with 3/4 plywood.

My back pain today is minimal. I like a medium-firm mattress, with a “pillowy”/chushy/molding feeling. But, I find that a bed where my hips & butt sink too much will likely cause me pain, so if I get memory foam, I can’t sink too much. I like a floating feeling, not a sinking feeling. I’m guessing I need to get something equal/greater than 5lb density in the layering. So, now, I’ve got some mattress choices in mind, and need advice. I’ve never tried a latex mattress, so I don’t know how they “feel”. I’d like to know if latex is likely a better choice for me, based on my physical build and info. Anyway, here are my top picks thus far…

Memory Foam

• Select HD - Regalis-HD 12"
  • The Wellesly by Christeli
  • Plush - Cirrus Luxe-ES 13"

(more in my price range)

• Ultimate Dreams 13" Gel Memory Foam Mattress
  • Ultimate Dreams Supreme Gel Memory Foam Mattress

Latex

• Ultimate Dreams Eurotop Latex Mattress (firmness level, I’m guessing probably somewhere between 5-7? I emailed them, but they never responded)

Any thoughts on my needs, or personal experience from these mattresses, would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile: Thanks!

Zack
Detroit Area, Michigan

Hi G671,

The choice between latex and memory foam is a preference issue and some people much prefer latex while other people would much prefer memory foam. Either way … the design of the mattress and how well it matches your body type, sleeping positions, and preferences in terms of PPP would be important because any materials can be used to make a mattress that will work well for one person and not the next. You can read a little more about the differences between latex and memory foam in post #2 here but the best way to know which one you prefer is your own personal testing.

Hopefully you’ve read the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices. The two ways to choose a mattress in terms of its type and design so you can find out whether it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP is either with your own careful and objective personal testing or if that’s not possible through more detailed conversations with the manufacturer (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here) in which case the options you have after you have tried a mattress and slept on it in person (to exchange the mattress or individual layers) may also be an important part of your personal value equation in case your actual sleeping experience indicates that the mattress isn’t the ideal “match” for your specific needs and preferences.

Both of the manufacturers you are considering are members of this site which means I believe they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, and service and they would both be well worth talking to.

Phoenix