Advice Needed: New Mattress to Replace 2004ish Denver Mattress Dr. Choice

In 2004, my then-fiance/now-wife and I purchased a Doctor’s Choice innerspring Euro-top mattress from Denver Mattress in Austin. 11 years and a devastating flood later, we have to replace the old girl.

We have loved our mattress, so I don’t think we’re all that picky regarding what we sleep on. The rather huge (in my case, literally) thing for me to consider when looking at a new bed is our size difference. She’s 5’2" 120lbs. I’m 6’2" 300lbs.

Predictably, I snore. We hung around Mattress Firm for a while recently and I was sold on the notion of an adjustable foundation. I noticed a huge difference in ease of breathing with my head elevated vs. flat. The wife loved it, too.

Price is a consideration, but only in the “we’re not going to pay insane money for a bed after sleeping happily on a $600 Denver Mattress for a decade” not the “we can’t afford it” sense.

So, advice?

Hi big_{dumb_jerk,

The first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

The first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and most importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones (including the major brands or any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality/durability of all the materials and components inside it … see the guidelines here).

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for (or that doesn’t feel as close to another mattress as you hoped it would) that are involved in each of them and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability, durability, and value.

There is also more information about choosing an adjustable bed in post #3 here and the main adjustable bed topic that it links to that can help you choose an adjustable bed based on price vs features comparisons and also includes some retailers that you can use as good sources of information about the features of the adjustable beds they carry and as pricing references as well (in post #6 in the main adjustable bed topic).

When you get to step 3 in the tutorial then if you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

1 Like