Advice on Latex Mattress/Topper Combo

Hi Phoenix,

I’m ready to pull the trigger on a split king latex mattress and spent a good long while at the Bedrooms and More store here in Seattle this afternoon. Hoping to get your input on what we concluded. After determining that we definitely prefer the “plush” mattresses for the combination of solid support and soft, cradled feeling of the top comfort layer, we really hit the sweet spot when we tested a combo that was one of their basic no quilt=layer latex mattresses (Winslow Plush) with their most substantial topper (Elite 5 Topper) on top. This also took us into a whole new price range–the topper ($1199.95 for a twin XL) costs more than the mattress (999.95$). We’re ok with that since we want to make sure we get the mattress that really feels best, and there really was no comparison once we tried this combination. So I just want to know whether this kind of base mattress and top of the line topper sounds like a reasonable way to go? Is this common? Any thoughts you’re able provide much appreciated.

The other quick question I have has to do with the specs on the mattress. The Winslow Plush is listed as 6" core rated at 75kg/m3. There’s also a Wallingford Plush at the same price point that’s 6" core rated at 85kg/m3. Since my partner is on the heavy side (250 lb), do you think we should consider that one to make sure he has enough support down the road? Assuming it feels as good when we test them in the store?

Thank you,

Stephanie

Hi Yogimama,

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … It’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I normally advise against picking a mattress with a topper, as you’re mixing two variables at a time, but when you’re able to test the product in person the risk of a purchase like this is minimized, as opposed to ordering online.

That certainly is an expensive topper, and they don’t offer any information on their web site about the density/ILD of the latex used. While the materials used are higher-quality, you’d certainly want to make a value comparison with your own PPP for a topper in this price range.

The Winslow Plush uses a 6" Dunlop core from Lien A that rates out at a density of approximately 4.7 lb. Most latex companies would rate this as a “medium” level of plushness, comparable to a mid- to upper 20s ILD range. The Wallingford Plush uses 6" Dunlop core from Lien A that rates out at a density of approximately 5.3 lb. Most latex companies would rates this as a “firm”, comparable to a mid 30s ILD.

It is generally more common for latex brands to use support cores in the mid-30 to low 40 ILDs, and it’s also common for them to recommend a higher ILD core for individuals of a higher BMI. Of course, your personal comfort preference will be the ultimate decider after careful testing, and the use of the topper will offer the largest noticeable difference in comfort, as the layers that are closer to your body will have the greatest impact in surface comfort. The good news is that you’re considering products using very high quality and durable materials.

I hope that information is helpful!

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Yes, this is very helpful. I’ve lurked and posted here for some time, so happily am familiar with the PPP protocol for evaluating mattresses and used that at the Bedrooms and More store this past weekend.

We’ve decided that since our testing there pointed in the direction of preferring a lot of comfort layer cushioning (we both like to feel cradled rather than like we’re lying on top of the mattress), we need to start with that realization and do a lot more testing before moving toward a final decision. So we’re going go ahead and investigate talalay latex, memory foam and poly foam options more seriously. It may be that dunlop latex is overkill for our needs (hence our being drawn to one of the most extreme and most costly support core/comfort layer combo on display at Bedrooms and More) , and perhaps a core that gives adequate support without feeling so firm won’t require putting so much into the comfort layer to hit our ideal balance,

Thanks again for the encyclopedic knowledge you provide here:)

~Stephanie

Hi Yogimama,

I’m glad you’ve been able to take the time to go over the PPP protocol and do some careful testing.

That certainly could be a possibility. While changing out the deeper layers will have a less dramatic impact on overall comfort than changing upper layers, it still will have an overall effect.

I’ll be interested to see what you eventually decide upon.

You’re most welcome!

Phoenix