Advice on new mattress that I'm considering, please.

Hi scubamom,

Comparing the specs to the guidelines here indicates that there are certainly enough “questionable” and lower quality/density materials in the comfort layers that would likely be a weak link in this mattress … especially for a mattress in this price range … that it would be a very risky purchase.

With an additional 2" of lower quality/density materials in the comfort layers … the Kate would be even riskier yet.

Phoenix

Well, hubby thinks PLB is a lost cause for getting this one replaced and the mattress company WOULD try to order a new one, but who knows when or if we’d ever get one. Such a problem since we really liked the Beautiful.

At this point, since we have a free exchange on both PLB, I don’t think we have a choice. I went and tried a Simmons Black Kate Plush locally… it’s only been on the floor two weeks and felt much firmer (not as soft) as the Beautiful + 2" PLB topper, but the sales person said it had not broken in yet. At least the comfort rating is the same as the PLB and all the other mattresses we’ve tried over the last 4 month! Probably like comparing apples to oranges spring -vs- foams, but it is what it is.

Hubby said looks like we should take the Blacks… see how long they last - year or two or so and at that time, maybe there will be more options out there… more latex mattresses to choose from, etc.

Are any of these retailers you have contact with actually receiving mattresses from PLB? If there was any hope we might get a replacement in the next few weeks, I’d hold out for PLB, but otherwise, we can’t go without a decent place to sleep much longer. :frowning:

Hi scubamom,

It may be worthwhile talking with some of the online PLB dealers that are listed in post #32 here to see if they are having the same issues with their PLB deliveries.

Phoenix

We had the damaged PLB Beautiful mattress and defective foundations picked up by the mattress company yesterday. Their mouths dropped open when they saw the poor saggy mattress, still with a hill in the middle and “hammocks” on each side. We all agreed that somehow the centers (from top to bottom) had compressed into firm “valleys” of latex, whereas the “hill” was the only part that remained springy (I’ve been sleeping in the center for the last two weeks… the only place that felt half comfortable).

They also couldn’t believe there was no solid top on the foundations! The fabric was so saggy between the slats that it’s little wonder the mattress was bent out of shape permanently. Too bad it took us a month to figure it all out but the damage was probably done by the 2nd or 3rd week we had it, even though it felt wonderful for the first 5-6 weeks.

They said that they were selling off all the PLB floor models since they are still having no luck reaching anyone to take orders, discuss business with, or talk to about any problems. The few times they manged to get through, call backs were promised and it never happened. Or “the person they needed to talk to was out of the office”. They have given up and had no interest even trying to reorder the Beautiful or even try to file a claim.

Which left us with the Simmons Black Kate. :frowning: It has so much puff and fluff on the top that it is an unbelievable 16" of hulking monster!! Comfort rating 8+ (the same as the Beautiful with our 2" PLB topper). Alas, we loved our latex while it lasted and now have to get used to a spring bed again.

First off, I woke up at 2 am bathed in memory foam fumes! UGH! I still smell like memory foam 12 hours later. Took everything off the bed, put in an air filter machine and turned the ceiling fan to high all day. Washed all the bedding. It’s not quite as strong tonight, but I know I’m going to be sleeping in fumes again for awhile. (unless I move back upstairs yet again for several nights).

And once again, I’m sleeping HOT! The PLB mattress was not hot and not cold, just perfect. Sigh.

Maybe next week I’ll try to contact all those companies in your post who carry PLB and see what the chances are of getting another Beautiful anytime soon.

We still have one Beautiful at our second home… so will have to decide whether to change it to a off gassing spring Simmons… or search for another Beautiful and this Black can go to the guest room.

Or if all else fails, maybe we can build a Beautiful. Has anyone actually “built” a mattress that feels like one of the PLBs?

Hi scubamom,

Hmmm … while I realize that PLB has their issues at the moment … something in this isn’t adding up to me and I suspect that there may be more to what they are telling you than meets the eye.

I think this would be a good idea … and if I was in your shoes I would also email PLB (and hopefully they will reply) to tell them your story and ask them about what you have been told.

Phoenix

Hi Scubamom,

I forgot to answer one of your questions … sorry :slight_smile:

Yes … there have been a number of members that have done this. Since the specs of the Beautiful are known … if you buy latex layers that are the same type (blended Talalay from Latex International) and thickness and firmness level (ILD) as the Beautiful and stack them inside a similar stretch knit cover you would have a close equivalent (with the main difference being that the layers wouldn’t be glued and that the cover would be slightly different). The component post here has some of the better sources for layers and components (including covers) that I’m aware of.

Phoenix

Ok. I filled out an inquiry form on the PLB website detailing our problems and included the foundation tag info.

Also emailed mattress to go and received a reply and quote back from Jeff with good price on beautiful. 3 to 4 week delivery. White glove service. (Always wondered who locally does that!).

Probably call a few others on your list. What do you recommend?

Meanwhile the second night on Simmons mattress from hell off gassed me again. Knocked out my back and makes me want to sleep on floor! Or even a bed of nails would be better than Simmons. :frowning:

Hi scubamom,

Other than Jeff at Matt-To-Go … I don’t have any specific recommendations. The list came from members comments that have had good experiences with each of them.

I’m sure curious about any response you receive from PLB!

Phoenix

Late Friday, I received an email from PLB that said:
[i]Dear Lynn,

Thank you for your inquiry. One of our team members will contact you shortly. Below is the details of your inquiry![/i]

It being a holiday, not sure when I might hear from them, but probably need to call the mattress company and tell them to hold on to the Beautiful and foundations just in case we “might” be able to do a warranty.

Meanwhile I was all ready to call Jeff at Mattress to Go and place an order for another Beautiful. Now I don’t know what to do other than I SURE don’t want to sleep on this Simmons any longer than we have to! :slight_smile:

Hey, at least there might be light at the end of tunnel… costly, but this whole thing has been one big ordeal after another!

Hi scubamom,

[quote]Meanwhile I was all ready to call Jeff at Mattress to Go and place an order for another Beautiful. Now I don’t know what to do other than I SURE don’t want to sleep on this Simmons any longer than we have to! :slight_smile:

Hey, at least there might be light at the end of tunnel… costly, but this whole thing has been one big ordeal after another! [/quote]

I hope that PLB will reply soon enough to give you some better alternatives than having to buy a whole new mattress and if it was me I would try and “hold on” for a little while at least until it’s clear that they either will or won’t reply fast enough.

The “stock” reply you received is certainly encouraging but or course they still need to follow it up with something more specific.

Phoenix

Well, so far, nothing from the online PBL form I filled out so took Bob’s and your advice and sent an email to claims@whatever it was and called their number. Got a recording that “they were helping other customers” and left a message detailing the problem, etc.

Really, this is clearly a claims, but who knows what will come of this. Everyday, I’m ready to order a Beautiful from Mat To Go and then decide to give it another day. As hubby said, at this rate, we may not get another mattress until Christmas! :slight_smile:

Wonder of wonders! After I emailed the claims department with info and photos of our problem, I received a reply from PLB two days later! They requested proof of purchase which I sent along with photos of the mattress tags, etc. Supposedly, they will contact the mattress company where it was purchased and try to “resolve” something next week.

Do I see a light at the end of the tunnel? :slight_smile:

Hi scubamom,

That’s great news … thanks for letting us know!

It sure sounds like it … or at the very least the tunnel is not quite as dark :slight_smile:

Phoenix

We are still waiting to see what PLB does about the warranty claim. Supposedly they are now waiting for some more information from the retailer - what I don’t know. We are about to go on week 3 of the waiting game…

Hi scubamom,

I guess the saga continues … although I still suspect that there is more going on in the background than meets the eye.

I hope you hear from them soon … and I’d be interested in what the delay was about as well.

Phoenix

Update… PLB wanted MORE PICTURES, so my mattress company sent MORE PICTURES! :slight_smile: The sags are 3/4" so we’ll see what happens next. Meanwhile, they ordered a PLB for another customer 4 weeks ago and it still hasn’t arrived. But then it took Jewels 6 weeks to get hers, so I guess there’s more than one of us that played the waiting, waiting, waiting game.

Makes me wonder how PLB plans to stay in business with zip communication and long delivery dates for some if not all of their customers.

I keep hoping they will get their act together since there are really so few Latex Companies out there presently (compared to the 3 Ss and others). It is really a trend that needs to be on the upswing but won’t happen if folks can’t find Latex mattresses at their local stores. :frowning:

Hi scubamom,

It’s hard to imagine that they need more pictures … I would think one would be enough to tell them that the foundation is defective :dry:

[quote]Makes me wonder how PLB plans to stay in business with zip communication and long delivery dates for some if not all of their customers.

I keep hoping they will get their act together since there are really so few Latex Companies out there presently (compared to the 3 Ss and others). It is really a trend that needs to be on the upswing but won’t happen if folks can’t find Latex mattresses at their local stores. :-([/quote]

There are still lots of smaller independents that make latex mattresses in most areas of the country but there isn’t a lot in the major manufacturers. Their shipping times are also a mystery to me because I talked with a friend today that told me that both he and another store they know are getting their PLB active fusion mattresses in about a week so I really don’t know why the discrepancies between different retailers.

I sure hope that your issues get resolved quickly!

Phoenix

We are hoping they will replace the mattress since it was ruined by the defective foundation - the head to toe sags on either side were 3/4" (remember this mattress was only 2 months old!) and that’s what they wanted a ton of pictures of. We’ll see how good their warranty is anyway. We don’t even need a foundation replacement since we bought the tempurpedic ones to try to flatten out the PLB mattress (which didn’t help).

Odd that Jewels and us have all these delays, yet others do not… really, really strange. Maybe it is the production of the PLB beautiful line since that is what Jewels ordered too. I had one retailer tell me the reason there was a delay (in the beautiful - he said 2-3 weeks) was that yet another factory had a fire… the one that made the upholstery!

Who knows…I still have the option to order from Mattresses to Go, but he said 3-4 weeks to ship. I really don’t want to buy another mattress if PLB intends to honor the warranty. As hubby said… what will we do with two Beautifuls! I said, one to use and one for spare! :slight_smile:

Hi scubamom,

Matt-to-go was one of the ones that said they received their last PLB Active Fusion mattresses (which includes the Beautiful) in about a week.

The fire certainly didn’t help but I think they recovered from it a few weeks ago (see here) and any current delays are probably more connected to their Chapter 11 than to the fire. He did mention that the Hybrid line is taking longer because they are less popular and their foundations are also taking more time because they don’t make it themselves (not that anyone would really want one anyway).

Phoenix

Update… PLB claims department is still giving our mattress company the run around now at week 5 of “waiting to see what they do”. Both the mattress company and I have sent enough photos to wall paper a room, they’ve filled out forms, etc. And we still have no idea if PLB will replace anything. :frowning:

Meanwhile, I got tired of waiting and ordered a Beautiful from Jeff at Mattress To Go. So happy we did that and wished that we’d done it a month ago! But done now. If the claim comes through someday, then we’ll have two beautifuls - better to have two than none! :slight_smile: Our guest room will be happy with the extra - that bed needed replacing anyway.