Advice on the purchase of an air mattress

Hello I am in the process of purchasing an air mattress to relieve my wifes back pain I have done some research on the Sleep number, Selectabed, Personal Comfort and Habitat Furnishings, I am leaning towards Habitat Furnishings as they offer a 365 day no questions asked return policy and supposedly use top quality components. Any advice on the Brands listed above or other suggestions would be greatly appreicated.

Hi Musky52,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

When purchasing any mattress, please be wary of any claims of health benefits, including the relief of back pain. While certain people may respond better or worse to different products, there is no mattress that can make sure a claim with any degree of reproducible certainty. I don’t know that you were actually taking the claims of a particular manufacturer as a statement of fact, so I just wanted to mention that as a cautionary statement.

You can see some of my general comments about air mattresses here and in this article.

While any mattress can be a good match for a specific person because each person’s needs and preferences or the criteria that are most important to them can be very different … in general terms I would tend to avoid them unless there is a very compelling reason that an airbed would be a better choice in “real life” (outside of the many “marketing stories” that you will hear about them) than the many other options or types of mattresses that are available to you.

For those that are committed to an airbed and are convinced that there are no other types of mattresses that will meet their criteria then there are some other airbed options that are listed in post #3 here that may be much better quality/value choices than Sleep Number/Select Comfort.

Selectabed does have some models that use better foams.

Personal Comfort has quite a few models, and they do list the foam densities. Depending upon the model, some of them contain better quality foams.

Habitat Furnishings doesn’t list any meaningful information on their web site regarding the foams used in their mattresses. You’d certainly want to find out the information listed here about the foams used in their mattresses before making a decision. While they have a long return policy period, I would think you’d know if you like the product before that time had expired, so I personally wouldn’t make that my main factor in selecting a product.

If you decide to look at something besides an air mattress, a good place to start would be the Mattress Shopping Tutorial here.

Phoenix