Advice re: latex mattress and recent injury

First off, thanks so much for a wealth of incredibly useful information, it has helped me in our search for a new mattress. I have been able to narrow down our choices and I am leaning toward the sleepez 10000. However, my husband is still healing from injuries sustained in a car accident a few months ago. Normally he can sleep anywhere, but now with a broken collarbone and the pain of some inflammation in his shoulder joint, he hasn’t been able to sleep in our bed at all. He is just under 6ft tall and about 145lbs (normally he is 155-160 lbs. but lost weight due to the accident). I am 5ft2in and about 115lbs. Normally I think the sleepez 10000 would be great for us, but I’m wondering if having the extra layer to play around with from the sleepez 13000 would be a good idea to have as my husband continues to have pain and soreness during physical therapy. Or would the Flobeds vzone be a good idea? I’m just thinking that he normally likes a firm mattress but obviously needs more pressure relief now and in the immediate future. I’ve talked with Shawn at Sleepez, and plan to call Flobeds, but I’m wondering if anyone has any experience or unbiased advice. Thanks!

Hi SJS,

Post #2 here has more about making firmness or design choices and some of the theory behind it (including zoning). I’m happy to speak to the quality or value of a mattress and the materials inside it but design choices would depend on your own personal testing or on more detailed conversations with a manufacturer. They know more about their mattresses and which may be more suitable for different people and circumstances based on the “averages” of their customers that are similar to you than anyone else. Both of the choices you are looking at would make great choices in terms of quality and value.

Once you are comparing “good and good” (and both SleepEz and Flobeds are certainly in this group) then final choices would always depend on all the objective, subjective, and intangible the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

More layers can certainly provide more design flexibility and options but this may also become more complex and not necessary (see post #2 here). The Flobeds customized vZone is also a good option for those who need it because it can vary the support or softness under different parts of the body to a greater degree than just the natural properties of latex itself (see this article and post #11 here and post #10 here about zoning) for those who need the additional flexibility of custom zoning.

Hopefully this will give you the information you need that along with your more detailed conversations with each can help you decide which is best for you.

Phoenix