Advice re Texas Mattress Makers Mattress

Hello Phoenix. I was hoping you could provide some advice regarding a mattress that I am considering from Texas Mattress Makers. This particular unit is not featured on their website but it is in their Sereni-Sleep Deluxe line and is called the Paris. It is similar to their “London” model on the website but does not have Gel Memory Foam. In speaking with them, they told me that the comfort layer has 1 inch of “1115” foam that is 1.5lbs density. They also said the quilting has 3/8" of 1 lb foam. It does not have any latex or memory foam. My wife and I really liked the comfort of the mattress and it felt supportive without being overly soft. It has a continuous coil support system with a 2.5" micro-coil pocketed coil upper layer. After trying both. we really don’t care for the feel of memory foam or latex - the former being too mushy/quick-sand feeling and the latter being too rubbery/springy feeling. I know all about your advice as far as avoiding soft poly foam but I wanted to get your opinion on going a route such as the one I am describing. The people there seem very knowledgeable and assured me that despite the use of soft poly foam that this particular mattress is durable and they have not had issues with sagging/sinking/longevity. Thanks.

Hi Jason8250,

I have talked with Texas Mattress Makers (who are the factory direct outlet for Noah’s Manufacturing as you know) and I agree that they are good people and knowledgeable and transparent about the mattresses they make.

While you are correct that low density polyfoam (and this is quite low) is not a particularly durable material and I would avoid it in thicker layers but in thinner layers used in quilting or for hand feel the effect of foam softening would be much less and I normally suggest a maximum “in the range” of an inch or so or less. Once the low density polyfoam in the comfort layers or quilting gets to the thickness of about 2" or more then the odds of having foam softening issues that will affect comfort and/or support over time goes up.

The microcoil is a durable component and I would have no concerns about its durability.

A continuous coil innerspring is a lower cost type of innerspring but it can provide good support with appropriate layers or components above it and an innerspring is not usually the weak link of a mattress.

Overall I would say that if the layers you listed includes all the materials in the mattress (they add up to the thickness of the mattress) then the “weak link” of this mattress is within what I would consider to be “acceptable” and if you have tested it carefully and objectively for PPP then it could make a good lower budget choice that reflects the lower cost of the components (although my own perceptions are that microcoils are more “springy” than the same thickness of latex in a roughly equivalent ILD or “softness level” as a microcoil inside the same mattress design).

Local manufacturers are also usually more responsive to warranty issues than larger manufacturers as well if there is an issue with their mattress so their warranty would be more meaningful.

Phoenix

Thank you for such a quick response. The other innerspring mattress I was considering is a dreaded “S” company mattress - a S&F “GS” line luxury plush - it appears to be a “top of the line” type of mattress sold at Sleepy’s and some other retailers. We found it at a local closeout center that has a good reputation - it’s an owner-operated local business and I would be comfortable purchasing there. He does not sell used/defect/factory second type merchandise, although I do understand the risks of buying from of a closeout center. He did say he will guarantee our satisfaction and will always take a mattress back and get us into something else if we are dissatisfied. The specs of this mattress as I found from Sleepy’s website, from top to bottom are:

Silk/Wool/Poly
1." 5lb Memory Foam
.5 oz Polyester Fiber
1" Reg Poly
2" Super soft HD Foam
1.5" 5 lb Memory Foam
Eco Cotton/Wool
Liquid Injected Foam Edge
Intellicoil Id

It obviously has more poly foam than the TMM mattress. The price is basically the same (~1000 for king mattress only). Does that additional poly foam in your opinion make the TMM ultimately a better option? Or, are there any redeeming characteristics in your mind, considering the value price, notwithstanding that typically the big “S” brands should be avoided? Thanks again.

Hi Jason8250,

As you can see in the guidelines here … I wouldn’t suggest even considering Stearns & Foster mattresses (even at a discount) unless you were comfortable making a blind purchase of a one sided mattress with relatively thick layers of questionable polyfoam. Outside of the memory foam, the specs you listed don’t say anything about the quality/density of the foam they use and based on feedback the odds are high that in about the 3 - 5 year range (and often sooner) you may experience the softening that leads to the loss of comfort and support and isn’t warranty covered because the impressions aren’t usually deep enough to qualify for warranty coverage (even if you had a warranty). Without knowing the quality of the materials inside (and you won’t be able to find this out) there is no way to make a meaningful assessment of the quality or relative durability of the mattress or make a meaningful comparison with other mattresses. It is also one sided which means that even if the foam quality was similar it would be less durable than a two sided mattress. The only “redeeming” factor is that the very top layer is higher quality 5 lb memory foam but it’s not thick enough to really make a significant difference to the foam layers below it. The polyester fiber will also compress under weight over time and is not a particularly durable material.

Phoenix