All latex mattress recommendation

Hello everyone,

I was looking for a firm mattress since I have a herniated disc. I did some research about the materials and brands, and I decided to go for all latex. I also read Phoenix’s post on “How to look for and find the best mattress”.

Although I chose to buy an all latex mattress, I still do not understand everything since there is too much information. I do not know how correct my understanding is, but from what I understood Dunlop and Talalay have their own pros, natural latex is recommended, and I should avoid brands like Astrabeds, Simmons, and Tempur-Pedic due to their transparency issues and other reasons.

So, I decided to look for some brands through this forum and ended up with the following three: Brooklyn Bedding, Sleep EZ, and FSF. For these brands, I selected the following models: 10 inch Total Latex (BB), 9 " NATURAL LATEX MATTRESS (Sleep EZ), and URBAN GREEN MATTRESS 9″ TWIN (FSF). So far, I am inclined for the Natural 9000 due to its price because I am willing to spend $1300 at most. If I can spend less than $1000, it would be better though. However, I am not sure if there are other cheaper options with similar qualities.

Just to make things clear: I am looking for good quality all latex, firm, twin size, less than $1000 if possible mattress. My weight is 150lbs, and I sleep on my back. My zip code is 02120. I would appreciate it if someone could clarify me which latex is better: all natural or organic. What makes one more expensive or better than the other? Also, are my three choices recommended or are there better/more affordable options?

Thank you very much,

Daniel.

Hi Ya,

[quote]Although I chose to buy an all latex mattress, I still do not understand everything since there is too much information. I do not know how correct my understanding is, but from what I understood Dunlop and Talalay have their own pros, natural latex is recommended, and I should avoid brands like Astrabeds, Simmons, and Tempur-Pedic due to their transparency issues and other reasons.

I would appreciate it if someone could clarify me which latex is better: all natural or organic. What makes one more expensive or better than the other?[/quote]

Simmons and Tempurpedic don’t make latex mattresses and they are both included in the list of manufacturers that I would tend to avoid (see the guidelines here). You can see some of my comments about Astrabeds and some of their sister companies in post #2 here and in post #3 here and a forum search on Astrabeds (you can just click this) will bring up more information as well. Overall I would agree with your assessment.

I would treat the choice between Talalay and Dunlop as a preference choice rather than a “better worse” choice. There is more about the differences between them in post #7 here but your own testing and experience is the best way to know which type of latex you prefer.

There is also more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here and there is more about organic certifications in post #2 here.

[quote]So, I decided to look for some brands through this forum and ended up with the following three: Brooklyn Bedding, Sleep EZ, and FSF. For these brands, I selected the following models: 10 inch Total Latex (BB), 9 " NATURAL LATEX MATTRESS (Sleep EZ), and URBAN GREEN MATTRESS 9″ TWIN (FSF). So far, I am inclined for the Natural 9000 due to its price because I am willing to spend $1300 at most. If I can spend less than $1000, it would be better though. However, I am not sure if there are other cheaper options with similar qualities.

Also, are my three choices recommended or are there better/more affordable options?[/quote]

I think highly of all of these manufacturers and there are no weak links in any of the mattresses you are looking at. Two of them (SleepEz and Brooklyn Bedding are members of this site which means that I believe they compete well with the best in the industry and while FSF isn’t a member here they would qualify to be a member when and if the time comes (NOTE ADDED: they are now a member here as well). Any of them would make a great final choice depending on the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

$1000 is on the low side for an all latex mattress (depending on the size you are looking at) outside of a few that are thinner or don’t have the same options to customize them before or after a purchase. There are also some latex hybrid mattresses that are in your budget range. Some of the lower budget latex and latex hybrid mattresses I’m aware of that are in a lower budget range are listed in posts #3 and #4 here.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Boston area are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Thanks a lot for the response.

So, I decided to go for the Sleep EZ Natural 9000, but when I have to choose the latex, I only see “Talalay blended” and “Dunlop 100% natural”. How does the talalay blended compare to 100% talalay? Is there a significant difference? Also, how do the different layers, especially center and bottom, affect the mattress?

Thank you in advance,

Daniel.

Hi Ya,

Post #6 here has more information about the different types and blends of latex. There is also more information in post #7 here about the difference in “feel” between Talalay and Dunlop but the best way to know which one you prefer would be based on your own personal experience.

This is one of those “what is the meaning of life?” types of questions where it could take a book (or many) to answer in any depth. In very general terms the layers closest to the top of a mattress are more about comfort/pressure relief, the layers closer to the bottom of the mattress are more about support/alignment and layers in the middle or “transition layers” can help with both. There is more information in the mattresses section in the main menu of the site that goes into much more detail about different types of mattress designs and construction there is some general information in post #4 here that may also be helpful.

If you can’t test a mattress in person for PPP though … then I would make your choice based on a more detailed conversation on the phone with SleepEz (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here) because it’s much easier to work with a knowledgeable and experienced manufacturer who already knows what you would otherwise need to learn than to try and become an expert yourself.

Phoenix

The new casper mattress is part latex, part memory foam, and so far getting great reviews (http://slumbersage.com/mattress-reviews/casper/). They’ve just launched in May I think though, so not too much info out there on how long it will hold up.

Hi riley128,

The Casper mattress uses 1.5" of synthetic latex over 1.5" of 4 lb memory foam over 7" of 1.8 lb polyfoam so with only 1.5" of latex in a 10" mattress it would hardly qualify as a latex mattress (which is the topic of this thread) although it may make a good choice for some people who were looking for this type of hybrid mattress. 4 lb memory foam and 1.8 lb polyfoam would be less durable materials than latex.

Phoenix