All Latex or "Hybrid"--HELP!

First, I would like to say how impressed I am by the wealth of information provided by this website and how easy it is to navigate. Of all the research I have done trying to figure out which mattress would be best for me, I keep coming back to this site and learn more every time. Unfortunately, now I am just overwhelmed!
Based on the info here, I decided my best best with my history of back and hip pain was latex. I am fortunate to live in NYC with access to a number of retailers and was able to try out quite a few brands. Of all the natural latex products, I liked the underlying firmness but somewhat ā€œsinkabilityā€ of the top layer on the Green Sleep Dolcezza WITH an added 3 inch wool topper (different manufacturer). While making the rounds, I also found I REALLY liked both an Aireloom and a Kluft hybrid (mixed materialsā€“the salesman was kind of vague, but a mix of talalay, dunlop, memory, coils, etc). The mattress names seem to differ from store to store for similar /same products.
The reviews on your site do not seem particularly positive re Kluft/Aireloomā€“and GreenSleep is nowhere to be found (too small I assume). The GreenSleep latex is not as ā€œahhhā€ an experience to lie on as the others, but now I am afraid to buy something that may feel perfect today and too soft tomorrow (those not-so-great reviews I found here are haunting me).
Any advice from anyone out there?

Hi DrDonna,

There should be Green Sleep reviews hereā€¦ Thereā€™s a few of us that have them. I have 2 green sleep mattresses, quite similar to the dolcezza. (Itā€™s the Vicence, which is 9" instead of 9.5", and slightly different layering). As it happens, I also have a 3" wool topper, and a few other layerings that Iā€™m trying. I have the green sleep mattresses on S-200 foundations, and have the green sleep vasilo mattress protectors also.

I really like the green sleep mattress, itā€™s very well built and comfortable. I am a side sleeper, and have some light hip pain sleeping on my side which Iā€™m working on via different layerings. Green Sleep is all 100% natural Dunlop latex, which as youā€™ve somewhat noted is a little less soft / more supportive. When laying on my back, the green sleep is heaven. It will soften during the first 60-90 days (as most mattresses will).

Iā€™m assuming youā€™ve read Phoenixā€™s wonderful ā€˜first postā€™ on how to select the right mattress for yourself. If not, definitely give it a good read as it may help selecting between different mattresses.

https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/how-to-look-for-and-find-the-best-mattress-for-you-read-first

Thanks so much for the quick response.

The salesman recommended the S-300 (not sure what the difference is, maybe based on queen vs?). It sounds like you have the same issue I am afraid ofā€“it feels AMAZING when on my back (which is where I end up by morning) but not enough give under my hip (which is one of the areas where I am having pain to begin with) when lying on my side. He added the topper for this reason, but I am concerned that may not be enough for my hip to sink in a bit more and allow my spine to be straighter. It sounds like you are continuing to try to resolve the same problem?

How long have you owned your mattress? Do you like it more now that it has softened or less? Just curious, what other products were you considering?

Thanks again!

Hi DrDonna,

The S-200 is slightly softer in feelā€¦ The dolcezza has more topper material than the Vicence, and is slightly heavier, so the s-300 is usually recommended for the dolcezza.

Weā€™ve had the mattresses for about 3-4 months maybe. My wife loves her side, and doesnā€™t seem to have any pain, and is a side sleeper.

Yes, the softening is better. Especially being a side sleeper :slight_smile: itā€™s not entirely noticeable when laying on my back. I did a review of the 3" wool topper, which is here, where you can see my info about that:

https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/sleeptek-classic-2000-3-wool-topper-review

Iā€™m 185 lbs, and a male version of princess and pea.

My alignment seems very good on the green sleep, and definitely Iā€™ve significantly reduced cronic neck and back pain, and to some degree restless leg. So itā€™s certainly been measurably better than what Iā€™ve had :slight_smile: the minor hip ache is pressure pain, which is my current mission to solveā€¦ Wool, by itself, didnā€™t solve it. Also, my top 6" of latex are soft (2 layers that are 3" each).

Iā€™m also a huge comparison tester, perfectionist, and it seems pretty passionate about my bed, so Iā€™ve just order a ton of different 3" top layer materials to try and test for myself. Iā€™ve got at least 8 combinations of the top feel to try, and maybe more like 16. But that is really a function more of my perfectionist nature than anything else.

All that said, only you will be able to really tellā€¦ Thereā€™s nothing inherently firmer about the green sleep than similar other mattresses.

Hi DrDonna,

The key with any mattress outside of testing for PPP is to make sure you know the specifics of all the layers and components in the mattress so you can identify any potential weak links in the mattress and make more meaningful comparisons to other mattresses. If you are able to find out the specifics of what is inside the Kluft/Aireloom you are considering Iā€™d be happy to make some comments about it but they are not too forthcoming about the materials they use in their mattresses.

There are several members of the forum that have purchased a Greensleep (including dn) and are very happy with it. They use very high quality materials (Dunlop latex and a wool quilted cover) and have a very flexible design with good options to customize the mattress before and after a purchase but they are also in a more premium price range than some other latex mattresses as you know. The S-200 and the S-300 foundations underneath them can also be used to customize the mattress even further and the S-300 can be fine tuned with different zones of firmness and softness that can make a difference in PPP but of course they also add to the cost of the sleeping system.

A forum search on Greensleep (you can just click this) will bring up more posts and feedback about them.

Iā€™m guessing youā€™ve already seen these but just in case ā€¦ post #2 here has a list of some of the better options and possibilities Iā€™m aware of in the NYC area and post #7 here has a more categorized list with more detailed descriptions of many of them.

Phoenix