Almost perfect with some questions

I am interested in a latex-only mattress. I’ve posted before but couldn’t make a decision so in a sense I’m starting from scratch.

1. I am considering a mattress from Orange Mattress Custom Bedding (link to their website). They offer a mix of factory-direct (custom) or pre-built mattresses and frames. They are mentioned here by phoenix. What’s their reputation?

2. Are there any stores in my region (Elizabeth, NJ) that offer latex-only mattresses? I would like more options but I need to try the mattress in-person.

These are the specifications of the medium-softness latex-only mattress from Orange Mattress. They have discontinued the “soft” version as “it doesn’t provide enough support”.

Core:

• single 6" 100% natural (not blended; no SBR) talalay layer
  • no organic certifications
  • ILD of 35-37 (some variation)*. Density not available.
  • No additives, no temperature regulation additives.
  • Sourced from Talalay Global in Connecticut.
  • An ILD of 35-37 is classified as medium-firm but I’ve tried some latex mattresses with an ILD of 28 that feel firmer. So…

Quilting:

• No quilting

Ticking:

• knit synthetic-natural blend cover with silica-based fire retardant

Website Link:

I categorize myself as 40% back, 40% stomach, 20% side sleeper.

In addition to this mattress I have tried many mattresses at Mattress Firm and showed pictures of my posture to my physical therapist. The latex mattress is the only mattress that results in proper posture for all sleep positions. All the other mattresses were too soft, resulting in poor posture for the stomach position (even the most expensive IntelliBeds).

1. Last year this mattress was quoted as $1800 but is now $2700. The basic adjustable frame is $800 (total $3500). The adjustable frame with pillow-tilt (and all the bells and whistles) is $1100 (total $3800). Are there market conditions that would justify these prices? And why haven’t online prices (sleeponlatex, mygreenmattress) also risen?

2. I am a 150lb male with a 2.5 BMI. The latex mattress is firm enough (or high enough support factor) to be comfortable in stomach position. I find the elasticity very appealing. The mattress is sufficiently soft, elastic and resilient to be comfortable in side position. I feel that the mattress is too firm for back position. There are no pressure spots but I feel that I am too light to sink fully into the mattress. This is only an issue for back position because in side position my weight is concentrated so I sink in sufficiently. In back-position I feel that there is insufficient resiliency leading to a possible lack of support for the lumbar area and neck area. Note that there is no gap in the lumbar area. However the salesperson informed me this was their softest latex mattress and any softer would harm the durability of the mattress. They suggest “getting used to the mattress” but there is no return period. Based on the mattress specifications, is this true? If not and if there are any local latex-only stores I am willing to keep shopping. If there are no local stores I will probably attempt to break in the mattress and if that fails, buy a 1" approx. 25 ILD talalay latex topper online. Any advice?

Just tried some Savvy Rest configurations. Does anyone know the ILDs of the medium and soft talalay 3" layers?

Hey meissa,

Welcome to The Mattress Underground :slight_smile: ! Thanks for your question.

Congrats on your new shopping journey :slight_smile: ! As you may know from reviewing other forum questions, moderators do not make recommendations outside of TMU’s trusted member program or maintain a data base of mattress retailers, as tracking stores, showrooms, and online sellers is far beyond the scope of what our small team can manage, given the global audience that we serve. Our consumer subscribers are good resources for commenting on general customer service experiences, and a site search using “Orange Mattress” would be a good start. Thanks for including their site link above, I did drop in to learn about their brand. Their site seems mostly informational, so if you are considering a purchase, you would want to contact them and get in writing what their return/ exchange policy is, what their warranty includes, and any other post-sale remedies you may need for the future.

Unfortunately, we do not have local-level store lists available by brand or type mattress categories. If you are interested in trying some all-latex models, you may consider dropping by Macy’s for some comparisons. There are many in your proximity and the Springfield location may be helpful. Macy’s has a number of upper-end brands that are latex-focused; Sterns & Foster comes to mind as one that they carry. If nothing else, they may know of a local smaller showroom who may help you. What size mattress will you be purchasing and what is your budget? What mattress have you been using and how old is it? Have you used an all-latex mattress before? If not, you may need to include a foundation designed to support this type of model in your plans.

[quote]These are the specifications of the medium-softness latex-only mattress from Orange Mattress. They have discontinued the “soft” version as “it doesn’t provide enough support”.

Core:
• single 6" 100% natural (not blended; no SBR) talalay layer
• no organic certifications
• ILD of 35-37 (some variation)*. Density not available.
• No additives, no temperature regulation additives.
• Sourced from Talalay Global in Connecticut.

• An ILD of 35-37 is classified as medium-firm but I’ve tried some latex mattresses with an ILD of 28 that feel firmer. So…

Quilting:
• No quilting
Ticking:
• knit synthetic-natural blend cover with silica-based fire retardant
Website Link:
mycustombedding.com/product/latex-mattress-natural-talalay/

I categorize myself as 40% back, 40% stomach, 20% side sleeper.[/quote]

ILD/ Indentation Load Deflection measures softness in latex using the Talalay process, so the core you are referring to would not have a corresponding Density number, which is a measure weight assigned to Dunlop process latex. You can learn more about Latex terminology in Phoenix’s article “Latex- Pros and Cons”. Please keep in mind that ILDs are relative numbers with degrees of softness or firmness that vary from mattress to mattress, based on the design outcomes a manufacturer wishes to achieve. Generally speaking, an ILD of 35-37 is considered a Firm feel and 28 ILD is more of a Medium firmness. Individuals will perceive firmness differently based on their
personal stats
, weight distribution, and sleeping position(s). As a predominately back and stomach sleeper, you should find a somewhat firmer feeling mattress more supportive for your needs, and 35-37ILD should work well for you.

[quote]In addition to this mattress I have tried many mattresses at Mattress Firm and showed pictures of my posture to my physical therapist. The latex mattress is the only mattress that results in proper posture for all sleep positions. All the other mattresses were too soft, resulting in poor posture for the stomach position (even the most expensive IntelliBeds).
[/quote]

Good to hear that you are consulting with your physical therapist regarding correct alignment, meissa. Too often, professional advice from an expert is missing from the equation when folks expect a new mattress to solve all of their pain issues. Indeed, latex mattresses are a good choice for providing both comfort and support in most cases.

[quote]1. Last year this mattress was quoted as $1800 but is now $2700. The basic adjustable frame is $800 (total $3500). The adjustable frame with pillow-tilt (and all the bells and whistles) is $1100 (total $3800). Are there market conditions that would justify these prices? And why haven’t online prices (sleeponlatex, mygreenmattress) also risen?
[/quote]

This is a tricky question and one involving many variables. You’ve likely read about the vast, global supply chain issues disrupting all markets across the planet. COVID has impacted everything from product sourcing, container shipping, manufacturing process, to product delivery, with costs escalating along each step. Ultimately, some of those costs have to be passed along to consumers, as well as longer order lead times. The scale at which a retailer operates has some impact, as well as the types of mattresses they offer. The Orange model you’re considering is all Talalay latex, which is more expensive to manufacture than Dunlop process latex, what Sleep On Latex and My Green Mattress offer. Knowing what size Orange mattress you’re comparing would be more helpful, but the 33% increase you cite does seem a little high. You could look at other all-Talalay 6" cores for price comparisons.

[quote]2. I am a 150lb male with a 2.5 BMI. The latex mattress is firm enough (or high enough support factor) to be comfortable in stomach position. I find the elasticity very appealing. The mattress is sufficiently soft, elastic and resilient to be comfortable in side position. I feel that the mattress is too firm for back position. There are no pressure spots but I feel that I am too light to sink fully into the mattress. This is only an issue for back position because in side position my weight is concentrated so I sink in sufficiently. In back-position I feel that there is insufficient resiliency leading to a possible lack of support for the lumbar area and neck area. Note that there is no gap in the lumbar area. However the salesperson informed me this was their softest latex mattress and any softer would harm the durability of the mattress. They suggest “getting used to the mattress” but there is no return period. Based on the mattress specifications, is this true? If not and if there are any local latex-only stores I am willing to keep shopping. If there are no local stores I will probably attempt to break in the mattress and if that fails, buy a 1" approx. 25 ILD talalay latex topper online. Any advice?
[/quote]

Sometimes it is quite a challenge to find the perfect solution for combination sleeping, meissa. Your idea of adding a topper is probably the best way to go. You would need to be super-confident about this purchase if it cannot be returned, that would be a deal-breaker for most shoppers. Consider doing a little more comparison shopping first. You may also ask any of our expert trusted members for their thoughts, you may check their listings out here. Good luck and hope this helps get you started :wink: .

Sensei

I’m also interested in the ILD of the firm talalay.

As I’ve started calling latex outlets for shipping quotes, I want to know if vacuum-sealing a latex layer for shipping can harm that layer and the latex.

Some outlets give me a specific ILD, i.e. “36”, but others give me a range, “19-21” or “30-32”. How much variability is there in latex? If I order 3" 32-ILD talalay latex from two different outlets, will they feel identical?

I haven’t found any online outlets that offer a single 6" layer of talalay but the mattressunderground guide states that two 3" layers of identical ILD will feel softer than the original 6" layer. How strong is this effect?

Hey meissa,

Thanks for your reply.

Like many other brands, Savvy Rest does not offer product spec details on their site, but they do a great job of providing an in-depth discussion of latex’s feel and response properties. Phoenix’s article, "The Basic Functions of a Mattress"discusses degrees of softness and firmness in latex based on an ILD range. You may consider reaching out to one of our trusted members specializing in latex for further questions. Perhaps one of them is familiar with the Savvy Rest model you have an interest in and could help estimate the ILDs involved. According to Savvy Rest’s site, their Talalay latex is sourced from Radium Foam.

Vacuum sealing for shipping presents no concern to the latex in the short term. It shouldn’t be stored vacuum sealed for long periods of time.

Accepting that ILD is in fact more of range than an absolute value is important to understand. In the Talalay manufacturing process, the latex is poured into molds and goes through a variety of steps before the final product is generally tested across multiple points to guarantee a softness or firmness based on an acceptable standard “range” of response (Indentation Load Deflection), resulting in that feel. That said, you probably could not “feel” a difference in the two latex cores from different outlets, with the latex of the same ILD.

You may consider reaching out to expert trusted member Arizona Premium Mattress; they offer a 6" Talalay Latex blended core. Will you notice a discernable difference between a 6" layer and two 3" layers of the same ILD used in the manner you describe? Probably not; however, two 3" layers would cost more than a single 6" layer. These are good questions for AZ Premium Mattress’ @KenHightower, he is a latex expert with many years of custom design in this category. Good luck with your mattress shopping and hope all goes well :wink: .

Sensei