Alternative to Logan & Cove Medium Plush (available in Canada)

Hi forum members,

This forum and Phoenix specifically were helpful to me a year or so ago when we were dealing with Fawcett. In the end, that mattress was far too firm even with a topper so we sold it.

I’m 5"9 160 lbs and my wife is 5"2 130 lbs. I sleep primarily on my side but do switch positions, mostly onto my back. My wife sleeps in all positions, probably mostly on her side/stomach.

We decided to trial a Logan & Cove Medium Plush. For side sleeping, it’s actually pretty great. But we feel the sink on back/stomach sleeping too much and it’s also uncomfortable for reading when sitting up against propped up pillows. On that note, I’ve looked for information on how beds are for reading and there’s no one else talking about this! Anyways, we’re confident that we’ll return the Logan & Cove Medium Plush as it’s likely just too soft for other positions.

So, that leaves us with the following options that I’ve searched far too long on:

• Logan & Cove Luxury Firm: Is this going to be too firm on our sides? Will it actually solve the sitting and reading problem? I’m skeptical but we do love the existing bed for our sides.
  • Silk & Snow Hybrid: It seems that this is supposed to be a bit softer than the above but harder than the Medium Plush. Thoughts?
  • Ghostbed Flex: It seems this could be similar to the above but they are a member here so that’s a plus. Curious how much harder/softer it will be compared to the above, how good it will be for back/stomach sleeping, and if it will be comfortable for reading.
  • Brooklyn Bedding: Hybrid, Aurora, or Sedona. Curious about these but don’t really want to order from the US and deal with all of the hassle and extra cost. However, I’ve heard people raving about these. Also, concerned about coil problems that seem to have been popping up.

So, I’d love any help that you could give, primarily on the first three alternatives.

Thanks in advance!

Hi GD.

Glad to have you back but it looks like you still have some trouble getting the right support/comfort configuration for your combination sleeping. :unsure:

[quote] We decided to trial a Logan & Cove Medium Plush. For side sleeping, it’s actually pretty great. But we feel the sink on back/stomach sleeping too much and it’s also uncomfortable for reading when sitting up against propped up pillows. On that note, I’ve looked for information on how beds are for reading and there’s no one else talking about this! Anyways, we’re confident that we’ll return the Logan & Cove Medium Plush as it’s likely just too soft for other positions.
[/quote]
How far you sink into a mattress when you are “reading or sitting up against propped up pillows” has very little to do with the support and comfort of a mattress which is designed for the weight distribution of a person when they are lying down. Support (the ability to bear weight without bottoming out) is a means to achieve alignment when you are on a mattress in all your sleeping positions but neutral alignment is the goal and support in each area of the body is just the means to get a neutral alignment when lying down. This means that for reading in bed you would need to look into adjustable bed solutions

There is more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here about firmness and support and in post #4 here may be helpful in clarifying the difference between mattress “support”, “pressure relief” and “feel” and it can also provide some useful insights into the reasons for pain and/or discomfort on a mattress.

The Logan & Cove is a memory foam hybrid mattress. They don’t provide the mattress information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the mattress durability guidelines here or to make more in-depth assessments about the likelihood of a good fit for your particular needs and preferences. If you can’t test a mattress yourself there is always going to be a process of trial and error.
A mattress is only as good as the construction and materials that are in it so I would never consider buying a mattress where I didn’t know the specific details of what was in it. Regardless of how well it fits in the beginning, if the components are low quality they won’t stay feeling great for very long.

[QUOTE]- Logan & Cove Luxury Firm: Is this going to be too firm on our sides? Will it actually solve the sitting and reading problem? I’m skeptical but we do love the existing bed for our sides.

• Silk & Snow Hybrid: It seems that this is supposed to be a bit softer than the above but harder than the Medium Plush. Thoughts? [/QUOTE]
    The sitting and reading positions can’t be solved unless you place the mattress on an adjustable base. Any suitable mattress (foam or an innerspring that can bend) can be used on an adjustable bed so I would only focus for now on finding suitable mattresses in the flat position. Once you have decided on a mattress based on its own merits … then you can consider adding an adjustable foundation to your purchase.

You may also remember from your last visit here that while we can certainly help with “how” to choose it’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for a mattress because you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress. There are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion about which mattress or combination of materials and components would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful assessment and testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the The mattress shopping tutorial here) or your own personal sleeping experience (see post #2 here ).

The 3 mattresses you are considering are all memory foam hybrids, with the first two having a foam edge perimeter but the mattress thickness, layering, foam density, and IFD are all different so unless an individual tries them side by side it would be difficult to make any hardness/softness comparisons. In any case, the firmness/comfort choices are best based on your local testing and particular needs and preferences as someone else’s experience with the same mattresses will likely be quite different than yours.

As you seem to be back at square one I’d recommend first determining the quality of the materials and components used in any mattress you may consider so that you have a good idea of what to expect in terms of mattress longevity and how well you are likely to sleep well on the mattress. I’d pinpoint any lower quality materials or weak links that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.
Phoenix