Amazon diy mattress

How do I find spring mattress support layer on amazon? I can only find foam layers, found this in my country PRODUCTS LIST

Not sure if it’s good…

Wow,
I feel sorry for you, they just dont give you much of a choice. And they show pictures and dont tell you what’s inside the mattress. I even checked my source in italy, and it does not seem like he ships spring support layers. Perhaps you can find a mattress that you like there. Italian Mattress Store they ship anywhere.
I wish I could be more help!
Norm

What specifications to look for in a high quality spring layer? Also, how does one maintain and clean a spring layer?

Thicker gauge springs between 13-14, generally results in firmer mattress springs should be hardened or twice hardened. For a pocket spring support. Some folks like when the perimeter edge springs are turned a couple additional turns to offer better edge support but not always necessary. Rotating the mattress as part of normal maintenance and you should be fine.

The specs I am getting for the spring layer is 2.0mm diameter, steel, from china, also what ild should I get for the transition layer? I think I need another layer at the bottom right? What’s a good structure for a spring mattress?

Thanks and sorry to ask so many questions

1 Like

2mm is approximately a 14g which is leaning firm and transition layer can be in the mid 30’s for a firmer mattress, and should be a density of 1.8lbs - 2.8lbs for noce durability.

I saw icoil construction, do we need 1 inch of high density foam at the bottom? Like 44 ild at bottom and at top

https://shp.ee/58a9l4y

1 Like

Hey B,
The link did not work for me, but having a layer of HD foam at the bottom, do help stabilize the mattress support and gives a little more firmness to the spring support system on a one sided mattress. In short, yes, I would recommend it. Most HD’s will work fine, 44ILD is certainly acceptable, if sitting ontop a platform or slatted surface.
Norm

So would 36 ild work fine too if it’s at the top and bottom so I could just flip the mattress over to rotate it to make it last longer? Or does that not work, why does rotating mattress makes it last longer anyway?

1 Like

Also, would a tencel mattress protector works as a cover? Or must I use other materials?what properties should the mattress cover have? Waterproof?

If the the comfort layers above and below the spring support layer are mirror images of each other, or even one side slightly different in firmness but constructed in the same manner, then yes you have created a flippable mattress. I would not use a mattress protector as a mattress cover. The mattress cover can have an affect on the firmness of the complete system. So mattress covers such as this one Stretch Mattress Cover can affect the way the system feels. You can google or research how a mattress cover and material, and even fitted sheets and various materials will affect the feel of a mattress. When I pull my fitted sheets very tight, it firms up the mattress to a noticeable increase in firmness. There are stretch covers, quilted covers to name a few styles. I am not going to go over each, but that is an easy research exercise you can perform yourself. But some of the most common characteristic are here.

1. Material:
  • Cotton: A cotton mattress cover provides a soft and breathable surface. It is often cool to the touch, making it suitable for those who tend to sleep hot.
  • Polyester: Polyester covers are durable and can be more affordable. However, they may not be as breathable as natural materials.
  • Bamboo or Tencel: These materials are known for their moisture-wicking properties, keeping you cool and dry throughout the night.
  1. Quilting or Padding:
  • Pillow-top: A pillow-top mattress cover has an extra layer of padding, providing a plush and luxurious feel. This can be beneficial for side sleepers or those who prefer a softer surface.
  • Euro-top: Similar to a pillow-top, a Euro-top cover has a flush appearance and additional padding but is typically stitched directly into the mattress for a more integrated look.
  1. Thickness:
  • Thin covers: Thin covers allow you to feel the underlying layers of the mattress more directly, providing a firmer feel.
  • Thicker covers: Thicker covers can add a layer of softness and comfort to the mattress. They may also contribute to a more plush and luxurious feel.
  1. Encasement:
  • Zippered encasement: Some mattress covers are designed to fully encase the mattress with a zipper. This can affect the feel by providing a more snug or secure fit, and it may also affect breathability.
  1. Waterproof or Moisture-Wicking Properties:
  • Waterproof covers: These covers are designed to protect the mattress from spills and stains. However, they can affect breathability and may not feel as breathable as non-waterproof options.
  • Moisture-wicking covers: Materials like Tencel or bamboo have natural moisture-wicking properties, which can help keep you cool and dry by pulling moisture away from the body.
  1. Allergen Resistance:
  • Hypoallergenic covers: Some mattress covers are designed to resist allergens, such as dust mites. This can be particularly beneficial for individuals with allergies.

It’s important to consider your personal preferences and needs when choosing a mattress cover. Factors such as sleeping position, temperature preferences, and any allergies or sensitivities you may have can influence the type of mattress cover that will enhance your overall sleep experience.

Hopefully this will give you some food for thought

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mattress/s/8J5L7sZAWK

I was recommended 3-4" as the bottom layer, my spring layer is 8 inch, is that too much?

1 -2 " of hd foam is plenty

Is the 8 inch spring too tall and unstable?Pocket Spring Height Explained

No. Not at all. There is some truth to micro coil use, but 8" springs are the norm.

So I just stack the layer up and use an encasement to cover and zip them up? Do I need to glue the different layers together?

I would not glue anything until you have slept on it for a few weeks and it is encased with your cover. A tight cover should keep it from shifting, but in case you need to switch a layer for some reason, you dont want to have to deal with the glue.
One of our Trusted member manufacturing experts could better advise you on what glue if any to use.