Amerigel memory foam mattress by southernland .

Has anyone tried any of these new amerigel mattresses . We are looking at the endeaver for 1399 for the king size . We can’t find any reviews and the guys at the sleep center said they have only been around 1 year . They have 3.5 density with cooling gel . The salesman said it does have a odor for about 3 days . It’s really comfortable and I’ve looked all over town ; the next best thing I have found was the i comfort by serta but it’s 1800 for the low end and it’s not that soft . Does any one know if it will get softer over time .

Hi Janie,

The first place I would start your mattress research is the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

I would also be very cautious about using reviews or other people’s experiences on a mattress (positive or negative) as a basis for your choice (see post #13 here) because they will tell you very little about how suitable or durable a mattress you are considering would be for you.

There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here but outside of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) which is always the most important part of any mattress purchase … a mattress is only as good as the quality of the materials inside it … regardless of the name of the manufacturer.

I would be very cautious about purchasing any mattress where you don’t know all the details of all the materials and components inside it (see this article) so you can compare them to the guidelines here and make sure there aren’t any weak links in the mattress and make more meaningful comparisons with other mattresses.

If you can find out the specifics of all the layers in the mattress you are looking at then I’d be happy to make some comments about the quality of the materials.

If you can’t find out the information you need to know to make an “informed choice” … I would pass the mattress by because the risks of making a “blind purchase” or a mattress that uses lower quality materials are much too high and are one of the most common causes of buyers remorse much too quickly after a purchase.

As I mentioned in one of my replies to your other posts … if you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

Details of the mattress - dos this help at all ?

Mattress Information:
AMERIGEL America’s Gel Mattress
By Southerland Bedding

Pressure Relief
Luxurious Bamboo 4-Way Stretch Knit Cover
Quilted Fire Retardant Barrier for maximum comfort and safety
4" of 3lb Gel Infused Open-Cell Memory Foam
1.5" of Luxury Foam for enhanced comfort

Support
7" of High Density Performanc Foam adds long-lasting comfort
and support to the pressure relief layers and insures proper spinal
alignmnet.

Comfort Scale:

Made in the USA
12.5" Profile
Smart & Easy No-Flip Design
15 Year Full Warranty

Additional Information

Comfort Medium-Soft
Sleeping Positions Back-Stomach-Side
Mattress Type Memory Foam and Gel
Manufacturer Southerland

Hi Janie,

The specs you listed aren’t complete but the 4" of 3 lb memory foam would be a definite weak link in the mattress by itself (not to mention the additional 1.5" of polyfoam underneath it which is most likely also in a lower density range) and I would avoid it … especially in the budget range you are looking at.

Phoenix

Ok thanks for the help . I knew it sounded to good to be true

Hi Janie,

For $1399 in a king size it doesn’t even sound close to good at all for its budget range much less “too good to be true” :slight_smile:

There are too many higher quality/value choices available to consider a mattress that is “questionable” at best.

Phoenix

For all memory foam I mean . We found several inner spring coil types with pillow top and that’s what I have now a seta perfect sleeper .

Hi Janie,

You won’t find a mattress that is “all memory foam” because memory foam is too soft to be used as a support material in a mattress and is only used in the upper layers in a mattress.

The Amerigel you were considering has 3" of low quality memory foam and the rest of the mattress is polyfoam.

All traditional memory foam mattresses use a few inches of memory foam (in a range of thicknesses and quality/density levels) on top of polyfoam support layers.

Phoenix

Yes I understand but I meant instead of innerspring core . Sorry .

@Phoenix,
Hi, just wondering why you say that “4” of 3# memory foam" is a “weak link”? And later in the thread call it “low quality memory foam”? Do you have specs on the memory foam used by Southerland in this mattress?

Thanks,

Hi cyberknight,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

3 lb. memory foam would be both a weak link and a lower quality material in a one-sided mattress, and I’ve probably used other descriptors as well. And I would advise against purchasing any mattress using 4" of 3 lb memory foam. I recommend a minimum of 4 lb density memory foam in a one-sided mattress, unless cost or lower durability are priorities. You can read more about this in the durability guidelines here and here.

You can refer back to the early part of this thread where the OP posted some specifications, but this is a three year old thread and the lineup has changed, and unfortunately Southerland doesn’t provide any meaningful information about their mattresses on their web site. If you’re able to acquire the information listed here about any mattress you’re considering and post it back here on the forum I’ll be happy to comment upon it for you.

Phoenix

OK, thanks for the explanation and the links. I’ve read them and understand what you’re saying about durability and quality of the foams used. I find myself in a somewhat unique situation however, I had lower back surgery to correct extreme sciatic pain exactly a year ago and three vertebrae were fused together. I have not been able to sleep on my very firm solid latex mattress (Simmons Natural Care) since then without suffering intense back pain & stiffness in the area of the surgery. I’ve found through experimentation that a much softer mattress is tolerable so I’m looking for something in the “plush” category even though I have a BMI of 30.
I have tried a 3", 4lb, gel memory foam topper but that isn’t “plush” enough to prevent the problem. A Corsicana Cool Reflections 9620 seems to be OK as does the Novaform Plush Queen offered by Costco (my son’s guest room has one of these). But they use lower weight memory foam in the top layers than the recommended 4lb minimum. So I suppose I will have to forego durability and longevity in favor of pain free sleep?!
Best,

Hi cyberknight,

I’m sorry to hear about your back issues. I know that can make many things, including picking out a mattress, incredibly difficult. :frowning:

Regarding your question, memory foam density and softness are not directly related. You can have a 5 lb and a 3 lb memory foam that are both soft (all memory foam generally is quite plush), it’s just that the 5 lb memory foam will be more durable.

There are times, and this may be your particular situation, where the durability specifications of a mattress are not as important as finding something that has a very specific comfort, and it may be that in your case you are best served by items that you are able to test locally in order to find ones that meet your needs. Just realize that in this situation you may be replacing these types of mattresses more frequently than you’d like, but if it offers you the very specific feel that works for your injury, then that would be most important.

Phoenix