Amerisleep, what do we really know about the PRODUCT??? (shaddy marketing yes, but the beds?)

Hi Phoenix and all. You can see where I am going with this from the title. I’ve been doing CRAZY amounts of research and reading, here, there, everywhere, and it “seems” ‘on the surface’, these are good beds.

I know they are engaged in some shady marketing tactics, but really that is all I could find here about them on MU. Right now I have zero feedback about their actual beds. What I do know, is that meet all your criteria for a “good bed” from what I can tell, let’s look at Americana and tell me if I am wrong:

• 3" 4.5lb 12ILD top layer
  • 7" 2.0lb 35ILD base
  • weighs in a 86 lbs (I find this useful, since if much lighter you know something is “up”)
  • 20 year warranty, first 10 not prorated, uses 0.75 inches
  • made by Anatomic Global which is owned by Foamex/FXI, so as far as I can tell, Certi-pur
  • 90 day trial

Is there a weakness here in this product or company I am not seeing, besides their marketing practices? (which I don’t agree with either, but I am trying to buy a bed not a share in their company)

Here are some things you or people on the forum might be able to help me discern here:

• Is there any actual feedback from buyers here, good or bad?

• Is there any truth that the plant-based foam is cooler than even gel foam?

• Is there any truth that the plant-based foam has a faster recovery rate than gel foam?

• I have to believe the claims it is much less toxic and off-gassing are true?

• open cell structure foam again helping with temperature?

Thank you and anyone who can provide some insight here. I am in Canada, and this was one of the options I was seriously looking at until I seen the feedback on marketing. It might be enough to stop a purchase (as is I would have to pay for shipping if I want to return bed…), but at the same time I still wonder about the bed and any real feedback we have about any of their beds. If anyone has bought one and sees this thread please weigh in.

TIA

p.s note I will be starting a new thread on more specific help to finalize my decision re Latex or foam, other companies etc

Hi jayjonbeach,

I would be very cautious about using someone else’s experience on any mattress (either positive or negative) as a meaningful source of guidance about how a mattress will feel for you because firmness and softness is very subjective and relative to different people (a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel soft for someone else) and each person can be very different. A mattress that is a “perfect” match for one person in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, or Personal preferences) may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on … even if they are in similar weight ranges. Using other people’s mattress reviews or experiences as a meaningful source of research and information can often be more misleading than helpful (see post #13 here).

There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses regardless of whether there are any reviews or feedback about any particular mattress.

There is also more in post #2 here about the different ways to choose a mattress (either locally or online) that can help you identify and minimize the risks involved with each of them.

[quote]let’s look at Americana and tell me if I am wrong:

• 3" 4.5lb 12ILD top layer
  • 7" 2.0lb 35ILD base
  • weighs in a 86 lbs (I find this useful, since if much lighter you know something is “up”)
  • 20 year warranty, first 10 not prorated, uses 0.75 inches
  • made by Anatomic Global which is owned by Foamex/FXI, so as far as I can tell, Certi-pur
  • 90 day trial[/quote]

While I can’t speak to how well any of their mattresses may work for you in terms of PPP (your own experience will be the only reliable way to know this) … all of these materials are good quality/density and there aren’t any weak links in the mattress.

FXI is a US manufacturer and is CertiPUR certified so this would meet the criteria I use for relative “safety” even though Amerisleep itself isn’t on the CertiPUR list.

Their 90 day trial also doesn’t include shipping costs which can be substantial because the return shipping for a uncompressed mattress would need to be through common carrier rather than courier.

You can see my “generic” comments about Amerisleep in post #2 here. A forum search on Amerisleep (you can just click the link) will bring up will bring up all the forum posts that mention them but as far as I know all the forum members that were considering them ended up purchasing somewhere else except for two (see post #5 here and post #1 here) who both ended up returning their mattress.

Not in general terms no and it would depend entirely on the specific chemical formulation of the memory foam. There is more about the different properties of different types of memory foam in post #9 here and post #8 here and there is more about “cooling down” memory foam in post #6 here. I would also be aware that so called “plant based” foam has only replaced a relatively small portion of one of the two main chemicals (the polyol) used to make the foam and they would be closely comparable to “regular” memory foam (see post #2 here).

Again in general terms no. This would also depend on the specific properties that have been chemically formulated into the foam.

Once again this will depend on the specifics of the foam (some “plant based” foams can smell worse than non plant based foams) but the certification of a foam would be the most reliable way to decide on whether any material is “safe enough for you” because outside of specific testing results there is no way to know this for certain.

More open cell structures are one of the variables that can improve the temperature regulation of a particular foam layer yes (see the previous link about cooling down memory foam). There are many other variables involved though besides just the foam layers in a mattress that can have a significant effect on the sleeping temperature of a mattress (see post #2 here).

The better online options and possibilities I’m aware of that ship across Canada are listed in post #21 here.

Phoenix

Hello,
Could you please let me know is there any updated information/feedback on Amerisleep mattress quality? Any issues or concerns with this now?

Searching through the forum, there is one here: https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/mattress-comfort-layers-memory-foam, but it does not say anything bad about Amerisleep.
I have pain in the lower back using my current mattress (Avocado green mattress): The pain is in the lower back and similar to the one shown in this picture: https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/keep-waking-up-with-my-lower-back-twisted

Avocado green mattress does not conform to the body when laying on my back. There is no support to the lower back at all. The coils are a disaster. I only get support if I move to the edge of the mattress (quantum edge support, which means no support elsewhere unfortunately). Otherwise in the middle of the mattress, my hip and bum sink (I am 5ft 11", 195lbs). I have more weight in my tummy and bum. What a disappointment with Avocado mattress, which I thought is going to solve all my mattress problems.
Avocado green mattress has quality control issues and the products they ship does not match with their website postings nor with the one available in the online showroom in Austin: Our Sleep Guide Online Mattress Store Austin, Texas

I am in Austin TX and I finally tested Casper Original Hybrid which was ok. Wave Hybrid and Nova Hybrid did not offer me enough support for the lower back – on these beds when lying flat, I had to lift and draw my legs inward to get the support on the lower back.
I tested Amerisleep AS2 Hybrid and it provided the lower back support when lying flat and also felt comfortable when lying on the side. Compare Our Memory Foam Mattresses | Amerisleep
King AS2 Hybrid costs $1399.
Please let me know if there is any weak links in AS2 Hybrid build. If there is a similar feeling mattress that has higher quality components, please let me know as well.

After Avocado Green mattress experience, I gave up on Latex Hybrid mattress. Latex does not conform to the body and does not provide the support/pressure relief on the lower back. I tested Obasan zoned all latex mattress which did provide all the support I needed and felt comfortable, but it is very expensive (> $5K) and they do not have any return policy. Obasan have 8- and 6- zoned latex pieces, which I think is the only way to get latex conform to body contours and get support/pressure relief. Just choosing latex layers simply based on ILD from top to bottom is not going to give much support or prevent forming pressure points due to arching of lower back.

So foam of some type (memory foam, poly foam, custom foams from different companies etc) is the way to get body conturing and support. But 100% foam would be too hot when sleeping for 8 hours.
So I need to go for a hybrid: foam + coil and so I ended up AmeriSleep AS2 Hybrid. The combo of Foam + Latex Hybrid would still be warmer than Foam + Coil. So I did not look into Foam + Late Hybrid.

Before buying Avocado Green mattress few months back, I also found Brooklyn Aurora Hybrid and Helix Midnight to be comfortable as well – but I need to try that again this week to see if it would work.
There are already too many choices to look into and then finally buy one that provides the needed comfort and restful sleep and that does not contain any weak link/low quality materials.

I looked into the Trusted Members Directory for Foam + Coil Hybrid to match with AmeriSleep AS2 Hybrid. But I couldn’t find one that has this Foam + Coil Hybrid combo. If I missed any good alternative to AS2 Hybrid, please let me know.
Thanks very much.

Hey Octonion,

Welcome back to the forum :slight_smile: . Thanks for your question.

Perhaps you could be a bit more specific as to what concerns you have, Octonion. As Amerisleep has no relationship with the TMU, I have no direct knowledge of “updated information/ feedback” on their quality. I appreciate that you did use the site search function as many questions can be easily answered with that resource.

The above quotes I pulled together as a summary for some questions for you: if you liked the AmeriSleep AS2 Hybrid in the showroom and ended up getting it, how has it been working for you so far? As you have already purchased the mattress, is there a particular reason you are asking about “weak links”?

Thanks,
Sensei

Hello Sensei,
I am not sure why it is not clear to you from what I have written. I simply tried to explain the process of my mattress search and how I ended up concluding that a hybrid mattress of foam + coil is the best combination for a mattress. I explained the issues that I have experienced in using other mattresses.
Also it is totally unclear where you got the idea that I have already purchased the information. :wink:

So I will further simplify my post for you::slight_smile:

1. I have NOT purchased Amerisleep mattress AS2 Hybrid. I am still looking to purchase a mattress and this AS2 Hybrid is at the top of my list.
  2. I am looking for any feedback on the AS2 Hybrid mattress from people who have experienced or have more information about it.
  3. If there is a similar mattress build from any TMU trusted member list, please let me know.
    Thanks!

Hey Octonion,

Thanks for your reply and updates :slight_smile: .

Thank you for explaining your mattress research process, Octonion. My apologies for not following your statement in yourprevious post: “So I need to go for a hybrid: foam + coil and so I ended up AmeriSleep AS2 Hybrid.”. Consumers on the forum often use the expressions “ended up” in the same way as “having bought” or “went with” when casually saying that they purchased a particular mattress.

Congrats on your new mattress shopping journey :slight_smile: ! From Amerisleep’s site, the AS2 Hybrid cutaway image depicts a proprietary gel memory foam comfort layer, a proprietary 5-zoned transition layer over a pocket coil array with perimeter edge support. The mattress comes in one firmness: medium firm. As they do not share any component specifications, you would want to consult with them regarding those details for assurance they would meet appropriate durability guidelines.

You may have already found this Phoenix post regarding the Amerisleep AS2 (not Hybrid model); I included it here as there are many helpful links for your consideration.

These TMU trusted members offer similar memory foam hybrid mattresses, they have been linked to their product pages for your review:

Fox Mattress

Magic Sleeper

Mattress To Go

Nest Bedding

Richmond Bedding

Texas Mattress Makers

The Beloit Mattress Company

Hopefully, you will find some of the links useful. Any of these trusted members would be happy to help you with questions regarding which of their hybrid mattresses may be a close match to the AS2 Hybrid, should you be interested in their products. Here is a checklist of questions that you may find helpful when researching your mattress purchase. With any manufacturer/ retailer that you are considering otherwise, you would want to be sure that their foams are made in the USA and are CertiPUR-US Certified, which means they’ve been tested by a credible 3rd party for any known harmful chemicals. Hope these thought starters are a bit more helpful and good luck with your mattress shopping journey :slight_smile: .

Thanks,
Sensei