Analysis of Big Fig mattress for heavy people?

Aren’t you the guy that’s always on the mattresses subreddits on Reddit.com

No, not me…never been on reddit.com

I am big, have always gone through mattresses every couple of years. We recently got an inheritance and purchased this mattress, it sounds promising! It will be here next week, I will definitely update and review it :slight_smile:

I haven’t bought mine yet…no funds…but I too understand the new mattresses every couple of years problem…don’t try and hold on for too long, it can give you back problems.

Most of all I look forward to hearing your opinion and experience with the big fig! For my future purchase.

Hi redditmike,

Phoenix is off on a retreat until next Sunday.

We can route your post to one of our Expert Members if you would like the perspective of a TMU manufacturer/component expert and cannot wait until Phoenix returns. The Mattress is a hybrid design so we would ask an expert in hybrid mattress designs.

Thanks for your patience.

TMU Administrator

Oh I was responding to user Hawkeye

I will try to progress through my order.

I will start with a review of the shipping and delivery! If you are in a hurry to get the mattress, don’t be. For those who are unfamiliar with large mattress purchases, they are typically delivered to a distribution facility near you that schedules the pickup.

Order placed: April 5, 2018
Order shipped: April 6, 2018
April 9, 2018: Survey Sent from shipping company asking address verification, about any gate codes, dangerous pets, etc from Progistics shipping. This is designed, in theory to expedite the process.

-Transit
Arrived at final courier facility: Today, April 27 2018
I am calling as we speak to schedule this delivery. Though personally, I think over 20 days is ridiculous for shipping.

Here is the timeline from the tracking
Picked up from Shipper: 4/13/18
Tendered to line haul carrier: 4/25/18
Received by Final Mile Provider: 4/26/18
So from order of April 5 to today (April 27) 22 days has passed.
They have me scheduled for delivery next Thursday, May 3. That would be 28 days!!! I find it ridiculous and I got frustrated with the lady on the phone… Anyway, this mattress had better be the best mattress I have ever slept on in my life for the wait. -_-

We got our new mattress today! I was at work all day and DH took care of it by himself and when I got home it was already on the bed and the old one pulled out :slight_smile:

First of all, this mattress is HEAVY, you definitely need 2 people to maneuver it.
On initial test, this is the most comfortable mattress I have ever laid on. When I laid down, I had instant back pain relief and felt a nice cooling sensation. Obviously, there is a breaking in period and I will continue to review the mattress.

It is soft but not too soft and very firm. It was the first mattress I have ever had that didn’t roll the edges when I sat on the edge! It stayed firm! I thoroughly enjoyed my “post work before dinner nap”. I will post again in the morning after a full night sleep! But so far, I am in love.

Hi Hawkeye.

Congratulations on your new mattress! :slight_smile:

It looks like your waiting paid out and you got’ve yourself the “best mattress you’ve ever slept on in your life” :lol:

I look forward to your further updates once you have the chance give it a fair first-night try.

Phoenix

I just woke up and wow! Zero back pain. The mattress is a bit firmer than I am used to, but that is ok.

I normally sleep hot and end up sweating at night. Not last night! The cooling layer really is coolish. I would compare it to a mild chill like when you get in bed in the winter.

I am short (5’4") and the mattress is tall. We actually have it on a Zinus Platform base that is also a heavy duty and designed to hold up to 1000 pounds. However, it is 14 inches high so that plus the mattress height makes it is a little difficult to get in and out but I seem to be finding the “technique”. :wink:

I was afraid with it being foam I would sink in. There is a bit of a “sink”, but minimal and just enough to be comfortable.

So far the biggest “con” is the waiting period… lol

Sounds great!

Hi everyone,
longtime lurker and I have been looking for a long time. I have an 7-8 yr old Stearns and Foster Grenoble that has nice hammocks on each side. In any case, I am 6’6 and about 250 lbs, and my wife is larger as well. I have been looking at the Big Fig because I want something that will last and prefer innerspring. My concern with the Big Fig is coil gauge, which is 15. I under stand these are apparently pocketed and double layered, but it still seems as if it is not heavy duty. Has the MediCoil HD mattress line held up to the durability test?

I’m doing an eval or this now. See my above posts, it is very sturdy and barely indents when I lay on it (I’m 320)

So Hawkeye, how is the mattress working out for you? I’m dying for some real real world reviews

Hey Fran and others.
Two weeks into the purchase and it still is amazing. The manufacturer recommends that you rotate it every two weeks for the first six months. We rotated it tonight and there really was not much difference my side was wearing a little bit more than it is but no intention or anything.

So far I say the mattress is very sturdy, solid, and comfortable. The cooling gel layer is especially nice now that summer is here I do not sweat in bed anymore

If you see my previous post I gave a thorough review about my initial findings
If anyone has specific questions I can answer?

Hi Hawkeye,

We’re intrigued by the need to rotate every 2 weeks. What’s the reason for this? 2 weeks is not very long. Does the warranty/return policy get affected if you fail to rotate that frequently?

Team Luma

It’s what the rep on the phone told me? I dunno! But it’s only every two weeks for the first few months then it’s every 3 months maybe?

Thanks Hawkeye! We’ll give them a call and see what they have to say is the reason for rotating every 2 weeks for 6 months (12 times!). We will update this thread with the feedback.

Hey,
In addition to this topic found the old topic of extra heavy mattress for heavy people
https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/mattress-for-heavy-couple
I found many useful things there
Regards Jon

I was looking for a mattress when I came across this site.
I had gone through 6, yes 6, different mattresses trying but failing to find one that didnt leave me tired with a sore back.
4 of them were refundable, most with a fee, 2 weren’t.

Anyways I wanted to come back to this site and post because I found it helpful.
The detailed specs provided by a member who called bigfig up, and then the analysis of the bigfig by phoenix helped to convince me that it might be right for me.
Im ~ 5’ 8", 250 lbs, bmi calculator online says 37.
I sleep on my side.
This bed - its only beed 3 nights - but thank God… This bed is so solid. I used to wake up every 2 hours or so… then be stiff in the morning at best… in pain at worst.
I didn’t wake up once last night. No stiffness. No sore lower back. No sciatica.
Im not joking and Im not being paid by anyone to say this.
If the thing starts sagging way too soon I’ll try to remember to update on here - but I think I found my solution.
Wanted to post on here and let you all know my experience so far because I found your posts helpful.