Another FSF local option vs Sleep Ez thread

Hello forum, another decision making thread here. So here is the rundown
height:5’8
weight:170lbs
sleep positions: i usually am a side sleeper but am also a frequent back sleeper

I currently own an 8y/o innerspring twin mattress that has my quality of sleep absolutely terrible and will be planning on going up to a FULL size mattress. Doing a bit of research i stumbled upon a few informative sites on mattresses as most of you know already. Chose to go with a latex matress option and went down to FSF showroom this past sunday and layed down on their 9" full Dunlop latex layered with med/firm/x-firm options and felt right on that specific bed. I had also tried the same layered option but with 100% talalay and didnt like it as much, as well as a few other layered options and always went back to the first med/firm/x-firm option.

Now…im restricted to a budget per se, but as far as the pricings go between Sleep EZ and FSF in both online checkout carts with both Labor Day markdowns as of now…sleep ez is cheaper by about $363 and i would like to “save” some of that money and put that towards my bed frame,etc. I would buy a sleep ez on the spot but my other concern is the fact from what i have been reading is that they are a more firm mattress selection compared to FSF as the ILD differ from both companies in regards to soft,med,firm,etc.

My overall question is, how much of a difference in ILD range does it really make? If my option with FSF is med/firm/x-firm…is that directly comparable to SL.Ez soft/med/firm?

Hi R1C0,

As you probably now from your reading on the site … I can’t make any meaningful suggestions about “what” to choose but I may be able to help with “how” to choose between two very good options.

If the type and blend of two latex layers is the same … then smaller differences in the range of 2 or 3 ILD won’t make a difference that most people would feel but as you get to differences of about 4 ILD or more then you may begin to feel a difference. Differences in upper layers will likely be more noticeable than deeper layers. Any differences between the covers can also make a difference in the feel and performance of a mattress.

Both SleepEZ and Foam Sweet Foam are members of this site (FSF is the newest member since a couple of days ago) which means that I think highly of them and they both compete well with the best in the industry in terms of quality, value, service, and transparency. While both mattresses have a similar design … FSF uses GOLS certified organic Dunlop while SleepEZ uses 100% natural Dunlop and while these both would have a closely comparable feel and performance (if the ILD’s are the same) … for some people an organic certification may be important. The “value” of being able to deal with a local business or purchase a mattress that you can try in person may also make a difference for some people and any differences between their exchange or return policies may also play a role in your choice.

There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that may be helpful but in the end … when you are down to comparisons between “good and good” and there are no clear winners between them … then which of your final choices (see post #2 here) would be “best for you” will really come down to your best judgement based on all the objective, subjective, and even intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you, regardless of what anyone else may choose.

With these types of choices … it would be difficult to make a mistake.

Phoenix

not really sure what your particular reasons are for choosing a full, space, saving money etc, but you should really consider getting a queen at least as long as you’re upgrading. A full is honestly not that much bigger than a twin. The bed you’re purchasing now could easily last you 10/15 years. A queen mattress you buy now could easily be the mattress you have until you’re 35/40, and even if you wanted to upgrade to a king, could make a great bed for a guest bedroom. A full, however, will likely become useless within 5 years if you start sharing a bed with a significant other and you’ll wish you got a queen. At your age a full is fine if you already have one, but if you’re buying a new bed now and space is not severely limited you should just go for a queen. they don’t take up that much more room, aren’t that much more expensive, but ultimately have a much greater potential suit your needs for many more years.

Thanks Phoenix for the response,and it clarified my question on when will you start to feel a difference in ild. I think I will be going with sleep ez due the price and extras that come free

jeffblue, I am considering a full because I still am under my parents household while I truck my way through community college and nd my room isn’t too large, 9’width and if I remember correctly 15’ length. my twin lengthwise already is about 3/4 the width of my wall and would not like to extend and further because I plan on inserting a desk with the remaining footage I have at the end of my twin bed.(I have some electrical test equipment that needs a desk to be placed on),However that’s not to say that my room cannot fit it at all and after reading your comment I might reconsider a queen again.My other concern was when I move out for a 4yr college I have an assumption that i wont have too large of a space either being in Los Angeles with apt prices or assuming I’ll still be crunched on cash limiting my apt options when I am living around campus .This is also a big assumption,just planning ahead to not be disappointed when I realize I can’t fit a queen size bed comfortably in a college space.

I know what you mean. I actually put off buying this bed for a year bc coming from a twin I couldn’t decide if I should go full (which would be useless after I move out) or a queen which I would have for a long time. I have a small room as well 11x14 but I measured out and the additional room the queen takes up won’t severely impact my space enough to justify going with a full… sounds like you are weighing the pros and cons of each, but if you can make the queen work in terms of space definitely go that route. i actually had a full when i was in college when i shared a house with a few friends, and its obviously better than a twin for sleeping alone, but its honestly not that much better than a twin if you’re sleeping with someone. Full with two people you’re still going to be all in eachother’s space when your sleeping.

Just an update, I ended up going with Sleep ez 9000 Queen model after all with S/M/F layers and an 8.5" foundation,since I’m in LA shipping only took 1 day. I spent more time looking for a frame,as I just went to Ikea and settled for the hemnes model which I hope will be fine and won’t regret it later. Assembly was another story…I realized how much stuff I kept under my bed. Anyway when assembling the latex layers itself I put the layers hole sides up…I hope that’s fine or makes no difference, as trying to fit it into the cover was kind of a pain in my tiny room.

Hi R1C0,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know you were looking at some very good options and I think you made a great quality/value choice.

If you are using one of the Ikea slatted bases on your bed it should be fine in a full size (I would be a little cautious with their larger sizes because as far as I know they don’t have any center support to the floor under the midbeam) although if you use a flexible slat system under your mattress it can change the feel and performance of your mattress compared to a firm non flexing slatted support system (either for better or for worse).

Phoenix