Another L&P coil question for a DIY

I know this is a question that has been discussed at some length before here, but I’ve read a lot of posts and I’m still finding it hard to decide between the Bolsa and Combi-zone as a support layer.

As background, I’m 5’8, 165lbs, male, 42, single and I think about 50-50 back and side sleeper. No back issues, but my shoulder has been painful recently, although I don’t know if this is anything to do with sleep position, or gym and boxing related. I’ve been sleeping on some sort of 6" foam thing for several years (so I guess I’m not that sensitive) but figured it was time to get a proper mattress.

I’ve tried out the 2022 Beautyrest Black C-class in stores and loved the overall feel of both the firm and the medium offerings. As you’d expect the firm felt better in my back position and the medium on my side, so I found it very difficult to pick a preferred option. But in any case the price is too high, and I like the idea of tinkering, which has led me to considering a DIY system with coils, and a comfort layers total of about 4-5" of foam - some combination of medium and soft latex, and maybe an inch of memory foam. Ideally I’d like to get close to the feel of the BR beds, understanding that trying to accurately replicate it is a fools errand.

So, the question is, do I go for the L&P Bolsa or Combi-zone, or to rephrase it slightly into three parts:

1. What is likely to feel worse - side sleeping on the Combi-zone, or back sleeping on the Bolsa?
  2. Which of the two is likely to be easier to fix/adjust with foam layer substitution/addition, in the event that the coils are unbearably soft or firm?
  3. How similar is the BR T3 zoned system to the L&P combi zone?

Thanks in advance and apologies again for a very similar question to many others.

B

Did you ever find the answers to these questions? I am also doing a DIY and I’m wondering the exact same things.

Zoning just does not work for side sleepers so that makes the Bolsa the best overall choice. I have no idea what the BR T3 system is. I would do 2" each of soft and medium Talalay just to give you an option of which feels best on top.

I’m about your size and I sleep like you do and I actually opted to get Texas Pocket Spring coils. I got them at a 15.5 gauge and was a bit nervous about it but so far… 2 weeks in and I’m IN LOVE with our bed. The shipping is what really makes theirs more expensive but if ya ask me, it’s worth it.

Mattress Makers did a terrific video comparing L&P and TPS and that’s what sold me. https://youtu.be/La0k4XoBXYw?si=Ot3fq3hgnoOTA1uL

I’m making a latex hybrid for my wife and I and here is my build thus far:

• TPS quad core - 8” 15.5 w 13.5 side support
  • TPS quad minis - 3”

To order from them you need to actually email/call them and work directly w Matan, who is the owners son and recently came on board to help his dad’s biz expand. He’s VERY helpful.

The latex layers I’m still playing with. Right now I have 1” medium Dunlop on top of the coils and 2” soft on top of that and I’m really liking it. Since the medium feels softer bcs it’s thinner I’m going to try putting it on top of the 2” to see how it feels. I’m also getting 3” of soft Dunlop today that I’m going to try on its own on top of the coils.

Then… still trying to figure out which encasement I want.

And welcome to the DIY club. I know more about mattresses than I ever wanted to know AND now that I know what I know I’ll never buy a name brand or box mattress ever again. =)

People are super helpful here and we have our own lil side niche of the Mattress subgroup on Reddit that’s been profoundly helpful.