Another mattress dilemma.

We have a Duxiana 1001 with a Pascal system. Also a 3" Talalay topper.
My wife complaints of too much tossing and turning, I have a bad back sand it hurts a little in the morning,
First how to tell if the original mattress has a problem?
If we change, we are looking at the black diomand mattress made by diamon mattress Co., we will use the initial Duxianna 1001 as suoort and Eliminatethe Pascal systhem but keeping the latex toper.
Any idea if that should remedy the pains and tossing?
Thank you!

Hi dserban,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

There’s a difference between a mattress “with a problem”, which would be a defect with the materials, versus a mattress that has become uncomfortable for you, whether due to gradual changes in foam over time, or your own personal changes in your comfort preferences, or a combination of both.

In order to determine if there was a defect in your mattress due to warranty issues, I would contact your retailer or Duxiana and request an inspection. There is limited information about the warranty guidelines that Duxiana uses for their products on their web site. For the price that you paid for your mattress, I’m sure that your Duxiana retailer would be happy to provide this service for you.

Unfortunately, there are too many “it depends” that are part of an answer that I might be able to provide with any specific advice because suggestions that can help one person or even many people may be completely unsuitable for someone else because each person and set of circumstances are very different. There is some information about the many different symptoms/pains that people may experience on a mattress and some of the most common causes behind them in post #2 here . The most common reason for lower back pain is a mattress that has comfort layers that are too thick/soft or a support core that is too soft. While repositioning during the night is common (approximately 20 time a night is normal), excessive repositioning could be your body’s signal that your mattress has become too soft, unsupportive, or that your personal comfort preference/needs have changed.

If you’re considering using the Black Diamond mattress on top of your Dux 1001 base (which is a double continuous coil spring unit), you’d be effectively using that base as an “active” box spring under your new mattress, which might be inappropriate and void any warranty from Black Diamond. The normal foundation that they recommend for use under their mattresses would be a wood platform foundation that does not flex. I would contact your local Diamond Mattress retailer to confirm you could use your Dux 1001 base with this mattress.

There is unfortunately, little meaningful information on the Diamond web site about the actual materials used in the Black Diamond, so I would always make sure that you find out the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

Depending upon which Black Diamond mattress you chose, if you used it on top of the active Dux 1001 and then topped the mattress with your 3" Talalay topper, my initial concern would be that your resulting sleep set could be quite plush and could potentially cause alignment issues which could contribute to low back pain.

Overall, I would first start with a call to your Dux retailer where you purchased your mattress and have your bed inspected before moving forward to make sure that it is still performing properly. If you decide to move forward after that with purchasing a new mattress, I would advise you to read through the mattress shopping tutorial here, as it will assist in guiding you through the mattress shopping process.

Phoenix