Any Advice?

Phoneix I just want to say thank you for all you put in here. I’m a side sleeper and my wife is a stomach sleeper . I’ve read some good things here about T&F and we want to spend under $800 for a king. Any advice? Thanks

Hi Mstrlucky74,

I switched your post to a new thread so that it didn’t end up going off topic if the conversation turned to other mattresses.

Your question is a little too broad to provide any specific answers and I tend to focus on helping with “how” to choose rather than “what” to choose but the tutorial post here would be the first place I would start and has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice for your budget. There are quite a number of good quality/value online choices that would be inside your budget range and there may be some good local choices available to you as well.

For example if you are only looking at polyfoam mattresses then just a few examples would be the Tuft & Needle mattresses you mentioned, the Dreamfoam 12 in 1 customizable mattress, or an Ikea polyfoam mattress like this.

The tutorial post includes links to some of the better online options I’m aware of and your budget range would allow you to consider a few that also used more specialty materials such as latex or memory foam comfort layers.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to link you to the forum list that includes the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. My zip is 11729

IKEA sells good polyfoam mattresses? I’m surprised.

Edit: I did a search on here for IKEA and came across many of your responses.

Hi Mstrlucky74,

They’ve just changed their mattress lineup so many of the comments are for mattresses they no longer carry but some of the new models are similar to the old models they replaced and you can assess the quality of a mattress when you know what’s inside it. Some of them use good quality materials.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of that are closest to you are listed in post #4 here.

Phoenix

Phoenix, i don’t know if this means anything but when I lay in my firm matress I wind up having upper back and neck pain the next day. When I sleep on my raymour flanigan couch which is very soft I am pain free. Could this be an indicator? If I find a need something softer what type of matress would be best? Thank again?

Hi Mstrlucky74,

I don’t know the specifics of the materials or construction of your couch (which tend to be thinner and firmer than a mattress because it’s designed to hold up more concentrated weight) or your mattress so while the difference between them is pointing to “something” … there is no way for me to know what it is without having more specific information about both your couch and your mattress.

The only two ways I know to choose a mattress is either based on your own careful and objective testing using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post or with more detailed conversations with an online manufacturer or retailer (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I’m happy to help with “how” to choose, to help identify any weak links in a mattress, or make some comments about the quality of the materials or construction of a mattress, but the specifics of “what” to choose can only be decided by each person for themselves based on the parts of their personal value equation that are most important to them since there are too many variables, unknowns, and personal preferences involved for anyone else to know which mattress is best for you…

Phoenix