Any suggestions - less expensive version of the Tempur-pedic Cloud Luxe? and less hot

Greetings,

I recently slept on a friend’s guest bed, the Tempur-pedic Cloud Luxe, for a week.

And no more back pain!!

Guess my old bed is too firm or something.

I do think the Cloud Luxe would be too warm in the summer though.

Any suggestions on where I should look for something 1/2 the price but similar to the Cloud Luxe?

I do have a costco membership.

thanks!!

Hi Mmitch44,

A mattress that is too firm or too soft for you (or that has developed soft spots or sags in the mattress under the heavier parts of your boy) can cause discomfort and back pain if your spine is not in good alignment in all your sleeping positions but the most common cause of back pain is a mattress that is too soft so your old bed may be too soft.

The first place I would start is the tutorial post here.

Outside of the link there to a list of some of the better online memory foam sources I’m aware of … if you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know of any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix! I am looking for the same as the above poster, I’m in Northern Utah, zip code 84321, and could drive 100 miles in any direction if I could find a promising bed like the above.

My husband is 6’3", 255, I’m 5’10", 205. He sleeps on his side, I sleep mostly on tummy. King mattress.

I really love the memory foam, tempurpedic types, but we just haven’t been able to afford, and the ones we can aren’t brand names and don’t offer the 4-5# like is mentioned a lot in your posts.

Any help you provide would be amazing! Thank you so much!

Hi olivetorpedo,

Post #5 here should be helpful :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thanks so much! Will review that!

Greetings Phoenix,
thanks for your help.
Love the help from this website.
by the way, I live in Columbus, Ohio - 43221.
I think I’m going to go with a mattress set from Costco. I like their return policy so if I have any problems, I’ll be protected.
Here are the three that look good to me:

1. Ara 13" King Memory Foam Mattress with Foundation 100% Visco Foam, $1,300 for king set
  2. Sleep Science Black Diamond 11" King Memory Foam Mattress with Foundation, $1,600 for king set
  3. Sleep Science Cool Retreat 11" King Mattress with Folding Foundation, $1,500 for king set

Any final suggestions??

Hi Mmitch44,

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Columbus, OH area are listed in post #2 here.

[quote]I think I’m going to go with a mattress set from Costco. I like their return policy so if I have any problems, I’ll be protected.
Here are the three that look good to me:

1. Ara 13" King Memory Foam Mattress with Foundation 100% Visco Foam, $1,300 for king set
  2. Sleep Science Black Diamond 11" King Memory Foam Mattress with Foundation, $1,600 for king set
  3. Sleep Science Cool Retreat 11" King Mattress with Folding Foundation, $1,500 for king set

Any final suggestions?? [/quote]

I would make sure you read the tutorial post before buying any of these because none of them would be a mattress I would personally consider based on the guidelines I would suggest using. The tutorial post also includes a link to some of the better online memory foam manufacturers and retailers I’m aware of.

You can see my thoughts about buying from Costco or a big box store in post #4 here.

There is more about the Ara in post #2 here and the posts it links to.

There is more about the Black Diamond in post #2 here and the posts it links to.

There is more about the Cool Retreat in post #2 here and the posts it links to.

Overall … none of the mattresses you are looking at would be my first choice for all the reasons I mentioned but as you mentioned the Costco return policy may be enough to make them the “best choice for you” based on the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Thank you, these are very helpful guidelines.
Looks like I’ve got a lot of research to complete!
I appreciate your help.

TheDump (thedump.com) has a few stores nationwide and they sell overstock. You may find a Tempurpedic at a significant discount. The store near me (Eastcoast) had a Tempur “cool” memory foam. Supposedly it keeps your body at an even 87 degrees.

Thanks, will look. We are in Utah, so not sure if we have them here, but will check it out!

Hi olivetorpedo,

You can read a little more about liquidation stores like The Dump in this post and this post. I would keep in mind that companies like Tempurpedic don’t have so called “overstocks” and in most cases what you would be buying is usually some kind of returned or used mattress.

Phoenix

very good to know!! thank you!!!

I would hope they meant 97 degrees, I think even a few degrees below that gives you hypothermia.

Personally if you love the feeling of memory foam then I would just recommend you get some good bedding to go with it, a breathable mattress protector and bed linens will likely prevent any heat issues with most memory foam mattresses.

Brooklyn Bedding has a PureCool Luxe bed that is supposed to be on par (according to them) as the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe Breeze. The king size is like $2300, which is easily half the price as what Tempurpedic charges. They (Brooklyn Bedding) seem to be a reputable company and get great reviews. They also have a cheaper line on Amazon called Dreamfoam Bedding. I am strongly considering a memory foam bed like this after having tried out briefly a Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe…it was awesome feeling. But I’d still like to lay on a latex mattress just to see what it’s like.