Any suggestions/reviews on Ausbeds

Hello from Sydney, Australia,

I have been in the market for almost two weeks looking to buy a firm mattress. We have narrowed down on two mattresses one from Ikea and the other from Ausbeds.

Ikea-

Ausbeds-
https://www.ausbeds.com.au/shop/our-mattresses/latex-mattress-jr7/

Personally I prefer the mattress from Ausbeds but just a bit concerned about buying a $700+ from a relatively unknown brand. Although Iā€™ve read some very good reviews about Ausbeds, I am trying to find out if anyone else here has used their mattress for a while and what their thoughts were?

Thanks in advance guys!!

Hi essentialbay,

Welcome from Australia! :lol:

While this forum focuses mainly on North America, Iā€™ll certainly do my best to be assistive.

Unfortunately, there isnā€™t much relevant or meaningful information about the complete composition of the IKEA mattress. If youā€™re able to get that complete information, Iā€™ll be happy to comment.

The ausbeds mattress seems to have at least one layer of latex, but Iā€™d want to know the specifications of everything on the inside. It seems that there might be other foams in there as well, judging by the photo on the web site. But I could be incorrect. There are a few claims on their web site that I think arenā€™t particularly accurate. If you visit their store and find out the particulars of everything within this mattress, please let me know. Latex is certainly a durable material. Iā€™m not familiar with the brand so I canā€™t speak to their reputation.

I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase. This is the part that I can help with as long as I know all the information I would need to know (see this article) to make any meaningful comments about the durability and useful life of the mattress.

To help you through your process, read the mattress shopping tutorial here. Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure youā€™ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best ā€œmatchā€ for you in terms of ā€œcomfortā€, firmness, and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesnā€™t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the ā€œvalueā€ of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesnā€™t turn out as well as you hoped for).

There is also more about the 3 most important parts of the ā€œvalueā€ of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesnā€™t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While nobody can speak to how any specific mattress will ā€œfeelā€ for someone else or whether it will be a good ā€œmatchā€ in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress ā€¦ outside of PPP (which is the most important part of ā€œvalueā€), the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress.

I look forward to learning about what you find out on your mattress search.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks for all this information,I really appreciate it!
Looks like I need to do some reading before buying my next mattress.
I am planning to visit Ausbeds and IKEA with my partner over the weekend and will keep you posted about any further information that I can find on the mattresses.

Thanks again :slight_smile:

Hi essentialbay,

That sounds great!

Phoenix

Hey Phoenix,

I thought I will post and update. So we ended up going mattress shopping this weekend and spent hours at both Ikea and Ausbeds before making up our mind. We chose Ausbeds as the mattress just felt better when we lay on it (20+ minutes). Moreover we were impressed with the personalised service we got from the business owners at Ausbeds.

We got talking with one of the business owner Karl as he was interested to know how we found them, I also mentioned my initial hesitation of buying a mattress from a relatively unknown brand but how the in-store experience and the mattress quality made us change our mind.

In fact he is aware of your mattress forum and said he would be happy to post some information about his mattresses here to help others choose their mattress wisely.

Thanks again for all your help Phoenix.

Hi essentialbay,

I appreciate the update. Iā€˜m glad you found something that you like. And of course, any information is welcome about the product you purchased. While we focus mainly on North America, we always enjoy learning about other products.

Phoenix

Hi just checking how your bed is going? Quality ok? I was shocked at prices when started mattress shopping. I came across Ausbeds yesterday but am also nervous about why it is cheaper, and a no name brand?