Are foam matteresses inherently better?

I have some upper back problems(2 bulging discs touching my spinal cord) and am in the market for a new mattress. Are memory foam or latex mattresses inherently better for back problems? I currently have a nice traditional spring mattress that treats me well, but I am ready to try anything to help my back pain. I am considering an easy rest or an amazon ultimate dreams.

Thanks,
Robert

Hi rkell,

In a word … no.

Just like there are hundreds of different types of back issues … the mattress that is best for each person is a matter of preference and which mattress design works best for their individual needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

There is no single type of mattress material or component that is inherently better than another and the key to a successful mattress is the specific design of the mattress and how well it matches certain body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences more than the type of materials or components that are in the mattress.

If you talk with experts in the industry that can sleep on anything they want you will find that some prefer one type of mattress and others will prefer something completely different. The mattress that works best for each person is as unique as people themselves.

Phoenix

What would you recommend for side sleepers in particular?

Hi dstryrwiz,

There are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to make specific mattress recommendations for someone else out of all the many thousands of designs that are available in the market but the tutorial post here has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help eliminate most of the worse choices and help you with “how” to find a mattress that is “best” for you.

Phoenix