Are returns really donated?

Many online companies offer a no-strings return policy. It is my understanding that these mattresses are usually donated to a local charity.

However, I personally tried to donate my old mattress when I received my current one, and I could not find a single local charity that would accept it. The concern was bedbugs.

Do these mattresses really get donated? I would hate to think they might end up in the trash.

Hi loraxc,

The companies that provide the option for a donation instead of a return will generally help you find a local charity that will accept your mattress and provide a receipt that you can send them so they can give you a refund.

Of course if that’s not possible in some areas then it may be necessary to return the mattress instead of donating it in which case they would probably donate the mattress to another charity outside of your local area.

Phoenix

It’s not clear if you are trying to donate a mattress you’ve owned for many years or one that is being exchanged for a softer/firmer version or a “not satisfied” return.

How long have you owned the mattress you’re trying to give away?

Sorry, I was indeed unclear. When I bought my current mattress from an online concern, I tried to donate my old one. I was unable to find any local charities that would take it, thugh I did not call every single one. (After they all said the same thing–bedbugs–I stopped trying after a while.) Eventually I found a private person to take it.

I now wish to return my new mattress because I am dissatisfied, and the seller says they donate returns. I see Phoenix says they may donate it outside my area. I just wondered if the bedbug concern was nationwide–I thought it was. Who really takes mattresses now?

Hi Loraxc,

There are usually some charities or non profits in most areas of the country that will take a lightly used mattress and if you wish to return a mattress that you purchased from a company that allows you to donate your mattress instead of shipping it back then they will usually help you find a local charity (if there is one) that will accept it and if there isn’t one then they will let you know what to do to receive a refund.

For those who are looking to donate, recycle, or dispose of a mattress that is more than “lightly used” then some of the information in this topic may be helpful.

Phoenix