Are the new 2012 models better

Hi…We purchased a latex bed from plushbeds.com, an 8" and found it to be uncomfortable. Too soft in some ways. My husband is 5’11" and weighs 195 lbs and he sunk in too much. I was actually getting lower back pain and I don’t have a back problem. We are sending it back. I am looking for a bed that is firm yet plush, if thats the right word. I am 5’4" and weigh 115 lbs. I have layed on the simmons black brooklyn and found it very comfortable and my husband didn’t sink in, also we went to sleepy’s and were shown the series 5G all foam mattress that is new for 2012. It was just as comfortable as the simmons but is available with a different degree of firmness on either side. My husband likes it a little firmer than I so we liked this option better, just not sure that something all foam would hold up. They are both considered pillowtops. I am very concerned about the quality of the materials in these two beds. Are the new pillow tops made good enough to resist too much depression and remain comfortable for 10 years. Just like everyone else I am afraid to commit to a mattress only to be stuck with something that is uncomfortable after 6 mo. I have looked online to find what materials these two mattresses are made of and couldn’t find anything. Appreciate any help you can give me. We live near Danbury, CT.
Thanks

Hi disp160,

Plushbeds makes some high quality and better value latex mattresses but their selection is more limited than other online manufacturers and for many of the members here their value wouldn’t be in the “best value” range compared to some of the other online options that are available. A forum search on plushbeds will bring up more information about them.

Even mattresses that use high quality materials though may not have the best layering for the needs and preferences of a particular person but this is more about the suitability of the choice than the quality or value of a mattress.

Firm but plush can mean many things but in general it means (or should mean) a comfort layer that has the right softness and thickness to relieve pressure and firm enough in the support layers to keep the body in alignment. It sounds to me like your pressure relief is OK.

Even the lowest quality materials can be used to make a mattress that is very comfortable but the problem is tht the comfort, support, and “feel” that were the initial attraction in a showroom will be lost much more quickly. the major brands have been “de-specing” (using lower quality materials) their mattresses for many years and using lower quality materials to achieve similar “feels” and increase their profit margins. I wouldn’t consider any of them because even their mattresses that do use higher quality materials have poor value compared to smaller local independent manufacturers and better sleep shops that sell alternative or local brands. The plushbeds mattress uses far higher quality materials and has better value than the mattresses you are looking at even though the particular combination of layers isn’t the most suitable choice for you. Some of the manufacturing members of the site that sell online and in many cases have choices that can customize a mattress closer to your needs and preferences and have some of the best quality and value in the country are in post #21 here.

A less “risky” option than an online purchase would be to go to local factory direct manufacturers or better sleep shops in your area which will also have better quality and value and the skills and knowledge to “fit” you to the mattress that best meets your needs and preferences. Some of the better options within reasonable driving distance of Danbury are listed in post #2 here. A search on connecticut (you can just click on this) will also bring up more threads with information and feedback about some of them.

Just like buying a piece of furniture that uses cheap particle board covered with veneer compared to a similar piece that uses higher quality MDF or real wood … there is no way to know the quality of a mattress unless the manufacturer or retail outlet can tell you the detailed specs of the materials in their mattresses … particularly the density of any polyfoam and memory foam used in the comfort layers which are the weak link of a mattress and the first to soften and degrade. The major manufacturers won’t do this (dand do many other things that makes comparing mattresses difficult to impossible) because the lower quality and value of their mattresses would quickly become obvious. There is a list of guidelines here which will help you avoid the lower quality and value choices and focus on better quality and value choices. The first of these guidelines is to avoid all major brands.

It sounds to me like you need a firmer support layer than was in your mattress (to prevent the heavier areas from sinking in as much) and possible a firmer comfort layer as well. I’m not sure but Plushbeds may be able to exchange what you have for firmer layers and if not then at least they have a refund policy.

I would be very concerned as well about the quality and durability of the materials personally I wouldn’t even consider them. The “non specific” answer to your 10 year question is “maybe” for some people but “probably not” for most and it would be risky. You would also be buying a much lower quality/value mattress than many other choices you have.

The more specific answer depends on the person and the many other interacting factors that are involved in the durability and the loss of comfort and support of a mattress. Post #2 here includes more information about the factors involved in mattress durability and post #326 and 329 in this thread (they’re both long) have lots more information about the risks of a pillowtop mattress that uses either lower density or an undisclosed quality of foam.

Hope this helps.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix,

Definitely wish I found this site first, the links you provide are terrific options. I did quite a bit of research before deciding on a latex bed and didn’t realize there were so many options on obtaining one or that there was so much interest, really thought I was taking a big chance on something new, lol. I do realize that the toppers can be exchanged but was feeling that it probably wouldn’t help until I came across your website, you have confirmed that I was headed in the right direction so now I just need to make it work. I have called plushbeds and they are working with me to adjust our layers. Origionally I ordered the soft 19-21 ild topper, we can exchange it for $45. They suggest a duel topper medium 24-26 ild on my side and medium firm 29-31 for my husband. We have the option of keeping the soft 2" topper for $100 and moving around all layers to meet our needs. The 6" base is Dunlop latex and the topper is Talalay so I’m hoping the Talalay will feel better/different than the dunlop we’ve been sleeping on the last few weeks. We put the 2" soft on the bottom after the first week as it was too soft. Hopefully this will do the trick, if not we can return it and check out the local direct manufacturers you suggested. It’s nice to know I have options right here in CT.

Thanks again!

Hi disp160,

I think you are going in a good direction and one of the values of dealing with an outlet like Plushbeds (and others as well) is that you have good options after the sale if what your choice isn’t quite right for you. I do know that Plushbeds will work with their customers and are very service oriented and helpful. They would also help you make the best possible adjustments.

Latex certainly isn’t new and has been in use for longer than any other foam (long before polyurethane was developed). The talalay production process has been available for about 60 years and the Dunlop method is even older. They were the original “foam” used in mattresses.

Dunlop and Talalay are quite different in their feel. In the same ILD … Dunlop will feel firmer because it is denser than Talalay and gets firmer faster with compression. Talalay is also more “springy” and is generally more pressure relieving beczause it forms a deeper cradle although this is also subjective and different body types and sleeping styyles may perceive each differently. Your new layers would have a similar “feel” to the soft Talalay you originally had on top but would of course be firmer which is the goal.

I hope you let us know how your new layers work for you :slight_smile:

Phoenix