The Serta iComfort mattress ... what's the buzz

Hi Moose0721,

You sense correctly :slight_smile:

If you were to talk with 100 independent mattress manufacturers who have their choice of any material they want to put in their mattresses ā€¦ a large percentage of them tend to downplay memory foam and many wonā€™t even make it ā€¦ even though they have access to high quality memory foam and could easily include it in their designs.

There are several reasons for this ā€¦ including some of the real reasons behind the new fire codes in the US which were more than anything IMO part of an effort to drive independents out of business because of the difficulties of prototyping a memory foam mattress (which to some degree has worked) but a bigger reason has to do with memory foam itself and its strengths and weaknesses and durability. These manufacturers are often multigenerational and depend on their local reputation more than anything else and many of them are not willing to risk their reputation on any type of memory foam. There is an article here which explores this in more detail.

Part of this as well is connected to the misinformation about memory foam and to the confusion and lack of understanding about memory foam in general in the consumer market.

Memory foam is only suitable for use in the upper layers of a mattress because by its nature ā€¦ all memory foam is too soft to provide support for the body profile. It is a pressure relieving material that needs a firmer layer underneath it (usually polyfoam) to provide correct support. The support layers under the memory foam are also responsible for a big part of how a memory foam mattress feels.

In addition to this ā€¦ there is a huge variety of different memory foams ā€¦ some of which are really bad and only last a few months and some of which are much higher quality. Many consumers donā€™t realize that a ā€œmemory foam mattressā€ only means a few inches of memory foam over something else used for support. They also believe that ā€œmore is betterā€ whereas in actual fact thinner layers of memory foam are actually much better. There should never be more memory foam in a mattress than is needed for an individuals pressure relief needs based on their height, weight, and sleeping positions.

I personally believe that latex ā€¦ or even the highest quality polyfoam is a better material in many cases than memory foam but I also realize that some people like the unique memory foam feel. My personal favorite layering for memory foam is thinner layers mixed with either high quality polyfoam or latex foam in the comfort layers. This can help overcome some of the weaknesses of most memory foam such as its lack of breathability, itā€™s slower response, the difficulty of changing positions on it, and the heat issues that are connected to many memory foams. Latex is also far more durable than even the best memory foams (5 lbs and over made by a quality foam pourer), and low quality memory foams are among the least durable of all foams.

Because of the extreme amount of misinformation on the web about memory foam ā€¦ many consumers believe that the cheap knockoffs that compare themselves to tempurpedic have some truth to them. While there are memory foams that are equal in quality to Tempur foam ā€¦ most of the ā€œjunkā€ that is advertised and sold canā€™t compare to these higher quality foams.

So all in all ā€¦ memory foam has its place in mattress manufacturing but it is not even close to the ā€œpanacaeaā€ that many people believe it is. Many people have never compared memory foam to the pressure relieving abilities of higher quality materials such as low ILD latex which not only relieves pressure as well as memory foam but is far more supportive and durable so their feeling about memory foam is in a narrow frame of reference.

More thoughts about either Tempurpedic or memory foam in general are in post #2 here and post #20 here.

Phoenix

thanks for the lengthy reply Phoenix. As the saying goes to each his own, and I myself prefer a memory foam bed over latex rubber foam. I donā€™t like the spongy almost springy feel of latex. BUT I am curious as to how long you expect a bed to last before you body requires a new fit? I believe 7-8 years is a good estimate. And would a memory foam bed last for 2 particularly light individuals for 8 years? Probably IF it was made with quality materials.

The irony here is that both my gf and I never felt the Icomfort had a slow response or was difficult to change positions. It was a bit weird for about 2 seconds after turning. The gel memory foam rebounded very well. We did try the latex icomfort and did not prefer the springy feeling.

Hi Moose721,

There certainly are people who prefer memory foam over other materials including latex and it does have good pressure relief and a unique feeling.

How long memory foam lasts depends on the type of memory foam itself and for low quality it could be as little as a couple of months and for the highest quality 10 - 12 years wouldnā€™t be unreasonable ā€¦ depending on various factors including the weight of the person on it. I personally doubt though that the gel memory foam will last that long but time will tell for sure.

Latex can be expected to last much longer and there are even latex cores that have been in use for 30 and 40 years or longer but 20 years would be a reasonable expectation.

The response rate of the iComfort, like many of the newer generation memory foams, is faster than the older type of memory foams so that is not as big an issue with them ā€¦ although they still absorb energy rather than return it so natural movement on any memory foam is not as easy as either polyurethane or latex foam. Some people like this and some donā€™t.

The iComfort doesnā€™t have a latex model or anything that would feel anything like latex ā€¦ although the prodigy does have an inch of slow recovery ā€œmemory foam likeā€ latex under the other foams and the Renewal also has 1.5" of ā€œgel infused latexā€ also buried under other foams.

To their credit though ā€¦ Serta has done a good job of creating a certain ā€œfeelā€ that is quite popular in a showroom environment and between that and their marketing they are selling very well. The gel foam has been used for a few years but Serta has also done a good job of identifying itself with the material. Many manufacturers are now coming out with their own ā€œuniqueā€ versions as well to grab their own share of the gel memory foam market ā€¦ some of which may give some competition to the Serta version of the gel memory foam.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

I talked to Colin at Labbe briefly about some options in building a memory foam bed, and he mentioned that he could only warranty the 5lb memory foam for 10 yearsā€¦ and this changes everything again. Why would Serta warranty their beds for 25 years giving you 15 years of free replacementā€¦ if their product was bound to fail within 6-9 years? Is it because memory foam wonā€™t compress to 3/4", more like 1/2" max; and its warranty is just a gimmick? Or are they just living up to being the best manufacture of beds since the beginning of bed building? Iā€™m no Serta bias man but the difference in warranty is night and day. 15 years more than the local guy using ā€œbetter materialsā€. Certainly the cost is there as they are about half price but why would they bother giving such a long warranty? Tempur included, theirā€™s is 20 years am I correct?

I am interested in getting Labbe to build me a bed using multiple thin layers of memory foam for comfort and what they do have is a good poly base material. Would using latex in the comfort layer prolong the lifespan of the mattress?

Question: Does 4lb memory foam feel ā€œsofterā€ to the average user? Or is it all dependent on body weight and sleeping position?

I liked the Icomfort Revolution bed and the Tempurpedic Cloud ES and they were both softer than the Tempurpedic Classic that uses 5.34lb foam.

Phoenix,

One more question to rack your brain. Is it wise to consider buying a lightly used Tempurpedic mattress from a spare bedroom? 4 years old.

If the price is right?

Hi moose0721,

This will be a longer reply because both the question about warranties and about 4 lb memory foam and softness deserve more detailed replies because they are not as ā€œsimpleā€ as most people would think.

Your warranty question highlites one of the major differences between manufacturers who depend on their local reputation and manufacturers who depend on their advertising. It also brings up the wonderful world of warranties themselves ā€¦ and more importantly warranty exclusions.

Major manufacturers want their ownership or shareholders to be satisfied ā€¦ local manufacturers want their customers to be satisfied. There is a big difference.

Warranties are very misleading and are one of the ā€œmanaged perceptionsā€ that has allowed the major players in the industry to introduce lower quality mattresses while increasing the warranty so that consumers donā€™t realize that they are being ā€œmisledā€. This is particularly true of mattresses which use lower quality polyfoams and memory foams.

Polyurethane foam and memory foam (which is a type of polyurethane foam) ā€¦ can soften beyond the point where it is suitable for sleeping on long before there will be an indentation which is deep enough to trigger a warranty claim. Even worn out polyfoam or memory foam after you have been off the mattress for a few hours (which is a requirement for the indentation to be measured by an ā€œinspectorā€) will usually have enough residual resilience left to come back to a level within depth of impression that is inside the warranty exclusion. This and the other warranty exclusions (such as any type of stain on a mattress) are almost always enough for a major manufacturer to deny a warranty claim. This is why warranties always exclude what they call ā€œnormal softeningā€ and the loss of comfort and support that goes with it. Only in the last stages of foam breakdown (or with an actual defect in the foam which will normally happen early in the life of a mattress) will there be impressions that are deep enough to be deeper than the exclusion which would be allowed for a warranty exchange (and believe me this is part of what they test before a mattress is ā€œreleasedā€ to the public).

Local manufacturers on the other hand ā€œwantā€ their customers to be satisfied and tend to feel much more responsible to honor a warranty claim even when they could ā€œget away withā€ not doing so. They will for example often offer to rebuild a ā€œproblemā€ layer of a mattress at a minimal charge if the circumstances or legitimate dissatisfaction of their customer seems to warrant it, even if they could get away with a warranty claim.

This is the reason that so many of them are not ā€œfansā€ of memory foam because they know that they are far more likely to have issues of softening and degraded performance which the customer will believe are covered by a warranty when they arenā€™t. A 10 year warranty on a good memory foam mattress is far more realistic and anything beyond this is really luck of the draw ā€¦ or a consumer sleeping on foam which has softened significantly and is no longer even close to its original ā€œspecsā€ but which is not yet outside of the warranty exclusions.

Long warranties with warranty exclusions ā€¦ along with the tendency of polyfoam and memory foam to soften long before it breaks down enough to cause a warranty triggering impression are part of what has allowed major manufacturers to eliminate 2 sided mattresses and put way too much cheap foam in pillowtops and eurotops and ā€œsellā€ both of them as a ā€œbenefitā€ without having to worry about warranty claims. They are ultimately responsible to their shareholders and ownership not the consumers who use their mattresses so ā€œmanaged perceptionsā€ in mattress showrooms work in their favor while they work against local manufacturers. Warranties only cover defects and the loss of comfort and support over time or even quickly if a mattress uses lower quality materials is not considered to be a ā€œdefectā€ and is not a warranty issue ā€¦ even though it may lead to the need to replace the mattress.

Warranties of 20 years or 25 years are all about justifying a higher price and have little to nothing to do with ā€œprotectionā€ of the consumer against manufacturing defects (which is the only thing a warranty covers) which will usually show up very early in the life of a mattress. They are used as one of many methods to ā€œstep upā€ a customer into a more expensive mattress using thicker layers of mostly unnecessary and undesirable foam using the belief that if the warranty is longer then the materials or the mattress itself must be better. They have made enormous profits cultivating the belief and the showroom ā€œinstant gratificationā€ perceptions that thicker is better.

I would also keep in mind that almost all warranty exchanges have costs involved and these can sometimes be significant. There is often a cost involved in having an inspector come out and check if a mattress meets the warranty criteria and or to have a new mattress delivered. Because the customer is usually responsible for getting the mattress to a drop off point, if there is shipping required then this can involve a substantial cost that is also the responsibility of the customer. This is all a ā€œstandardā€ part of warranties in the industry (and other industries as well). This is also a big reason to make sure you know the quality of the materials inside your mattress (especially in the upper layers ā€¦ see this article) which can be a much more reliable indicator of the useful life of a mattress than the length of a warranty.

There is also more about all the variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress relative to each person in post #4 here and the posts it links to.

I personally would be happy with a 5 year warranty (against manufacturing defects) if I knew the materials could last me 15 - 20 years ā€¦ but of course the vast majority of consumers would believe that a mattress with a 5 year warranty was an inferior mattress.

There is also a good beducation video about mattress warranties here.

As to how any density of memory foam will feel to a consumer ā€¦ the answer is that it really depends on its formulation. ā€œSoftā€ depends on how it is defined ā€¦ and before I get accused of hedging the question ā€¦ let me explain.

The hundreds of different memory foam chemical formulations and manufacturing variations that are possible within the same density of memory foam have different degrees of various properties.

One of these is temperature sensitivity. Memory foam that is more temperature sensitive but also denser will feel firmer when it is colder but softer when it is warmed up. It takes longer to conform to the body shape but when it does so higher density foam will feel ā€œsofterā€ to many people because it can conform to the body better. So it will feel firmer with quicker movements but may feel softer when you have been in a certain position for a while. For someone who moves a lot ā€¦ they will call it firmer. For someone who tends to be more still ā€¦ they may call it softer.

Another characteristic is speed of compression and recovery. Memory foam is time dependent. If you compress it quickly ā€¦ it will feel firmer (like compressing water quickly when you slap it or bellyflop). When you compress it slowly ā€¦ it will feel softer. Some memory foam will be easier to compress quickly and these are typically the lower density foams. Because of this ā€¦ people with different weights and sleeping patterns and who tend to compress the foam underneath them either faster or slower will tend to perceive similar memory foams in different ways.

Third ā€¦ lower density memory foams will tend to also have a lower functional ILD which means that in combination with the thickness of the layer you may feel the layers under them more than higher density memory foams which can also quite dramatically affect the perception of softness of firmness.

Finally ā€¦ all of these tendencies can be altered with chemistry or mechanical processes so that even in the same density ā€¦ a memory foam can have an amazingly wide variety of performance specs (see post #9 here). Additions to the foam when it is poured (such as latex infused memory foam or gel infused memory foam) can also make a big difference.

So ā€¦ with all these variables and more being taken into account ā€¦ I will say that 4 lb memory foam foam in the way it is usually formulated by most companies will usually feel softer than 5 lb (or 7 or 8 lb) memory foam in most uses. They will also tend to be more ā€œresponsiveā€ (compress and come back faster) and less temperature sensitive. In addition to this ā€¦ they are usually layered in a way (as in the Cloud series) that will increase the perception of softness of a mattress.

Finally on to your question about the lightly used Tempurpedic. I believe that Tempurpedic is a high quality memory foam mattress (although I would also consider that there are many other memory foams that have similar quality/density) and the issues I have with them are more to do with their value compared to other mattresses that use the same or higher quality/density materials and sell at much lower prices. If the price was right and you didnā€™t have an issue with who had used the mattress before you ā€¦ then this could very well be your best ā€œmemory foamā€ value since there should be lots of life left in it.

Phoenix

Hello All,

I thought I would add this to the iComfort thread because it seems to be relevant to many of the ā€œgel beadā€ infused memory foams that are available.

This comes from the PFA Glossary (Polyurethane Foam Association which is an organization of polyurethane foam manufacturers and a great reference source for polyfoam information).

In essence ā€¦ the ā€œgel beadsā€ that are added to memory foam are a ā€œfillerā€ and may well be subject to the same issues that any filler creates. It will increase the density and ā€œsupport factorā€ (which are part of the gel bead claims) but at the cost of durability and other performance factors of the foam.

There is a ā€œnew generationā€ of gel memory foam being manufactured which seems to be integated into the chemical structure of the foam and which according to testing may actually make memory foam stronger. Several manufacturers I have talked with are in the process of introducing mattresses that contain some of these newer versions of gel memory foam (including several of the members here) and there is some cautious optimism and even excitement that it may be a real improvement over some of the current ā€œgel memory foamā€ formulations. A couple of examples or manufacturers who are in the process of introducing it are post #14 here and post #140 here from Beloit Mattress.

More choices and hopefully ā€œbetterā€ choices ā€¦ and certainly better value choices.

Phoenix

Hello.
My husband and I are searching for a new mattress. We are not set on anything inparticular like inner spring, memory foam or laytex but the more I do research the more terrified I am to make the commitment. We visited a local store and fell in love with the icomfort revolution and the nxg which has springs and foam. The price of the two mattresses is comparable to one another which puts them on an even playing field butā€¦I have read reviews for both. Our current innnerspring pillowtop has a mountain in itā€¦some reviews for the nxg are saying that is an issue. We didnā€™t pay a lot for our current mattress (obviously) but I would hate to put a lot of money into something only to have the same resultsā€¦on the other hand all the reviews for the i comfort are glowing. If we went with the icomfort weā€™d really like to do the adjustable base because man does it make your back feel wonderful!!! The base is more than the mattressā€¦ugh

Can I find a comparable QUALITY mattress that I can actually try out before I purchase? Please help!

Hi Anonymous,

Buying a mattress is one of the most important purchases we make in terms of how much it can affect our lives and yet it is also one of the most blind purchases that we make. For most people ā€¦ buying a mattress is little more than buying something that ā€œfeels goodā€ in the managed environment of a showroom (which has little resemblance to how suitable a mattress may be when you actually use it over the coming years) without any real idea of what is actually in the mattress or with little idea about what the real differences are between different types of mattress or ā€œmattress ingredientsā€.

This is made worse when people try to educate themselves about the different types of mattresses and materials and become overwhelmed with conflicting information by hundreds of so called ā€œexpertā€ sites ā€¦ most of which are promoting an agenda and provide information which is either a distortion of the facts or worse yet completely incorrect.

For all these reasons ā€¦ and for most people ā€¦ the most important part of buying a mattress is to find an outlet which has a combination of several qualities.

1. Employees and/or owners who really know the difference between different types of mattresses and materials and can explain them in both factual and laymans terms that make sense.

2. Outlets and people who are more interested in fitting you to a mattress than they are in the profits they will make (they understand that profits are a side effect not a ā€œcauseā€).

3. Outlets who understand that the value of a mattress is based on the materials in the mattress and how they are put together. These are the type of outlets who will show you how to compare a mattress based on what is in them rather than the stories that are ā€œattachedā€ to them. These are the outlets who WANT you to know what is in their mattresses and can tell you why each material is used and how durable it is rather than making meaningful comparisons more difficult.

4. Outlets who have a short supply chain and less ā€œmouths to feedā€ in between the manufacturing of the mattress and your purchase. Outlets who base their prices on the real cost of what is in the mattress and putting it together more than the stories or sales techniques that will convince you that a mattress is worth more than it really is.

For all these reasons and many more ā€¦ local independent mattress manufacturers who either sell factory direct to consumers or who sell wholesale directly through smaller sleep shops with knowledgeable staff are as a group the best source of quality and value in a mattress.

This is why finding the ā€œbestā€ outlet as a first step is more important than finding the best mattress (without having the real knowledge to do so). A knowledgeable manufacturer or sleep shop that carries mattresses that have real value, that you can trust to give you accurate information, and are focused more on educating their customers than they are on ā€œsellingā€ their customers, can turn mattress shopping from one of the most frustrating experiences into one that is actually enjoyable.

This is why I put the guidelines together that you can find here ā€¦ as a way to help people eliminate most of the worst choices of mattress value and outlets that focus more on selling you what they want you to buy (instead of helping you find what you want and need). This way you can put your efforts on finding out the better sources of knowledge, service, and value that will help you buy a mattress that will not only be suitable for your needs and preferences now but many years into the future.

If you let me know the city that you live in ā€¦ Iā€™d be happy to ā€œpoint youā€ to the types of manufacturers and outlets that I know of where you can find mattresses that will not only ā€œcompeteā€ with the mattresses you mentioned (the Serta iComfort line and the the Simmons NXG line) but will have real value based on the same or better materials and construction for a lower cost. They will show you HOW to choose the best mattress for YOU rather than steering you in the direction that they want you to go.

Just as an example ā€¦ the iComfort adjustable base is made by Ergomotion and has only minor variations of the Ergomotion 400 regular model here. This can at least give you a reference point for whether a feature like the ā€œzip fitā€ is really worth the premium you will likely pay for it.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: adjustablebeds.org/ergomotion_400_series_adjustable_bed_base_with_wireless_control_and_massage-7891.aspx

Phoenix

Please please help. I want to get a king adjustable bed. Memory foam mattress, I think. I read this post and the more I learn, the more confusing it is.

All the stores are having sales on mattresses until the first of the year and I want to get a bed this week. I looked at icomfort and others. Price is very important and the link above to ergomotion is very appealing to me. Looks like great prices but I donā€™t know about the quality and all. I am looking for plush not firm mattress. Tempurpedic seems too firm for me, at least the lower end ones. I am in Lafayette, Louisiana and I donā€™t think we have a factory direct mattress store.

Your advice is highly appreciated. Please help. Thanks.

Hi Yagottawanta,

Well today must be my day for looking at Louisiana mattress manufacturers :slight_smile:

First though I should tell you that ā€œmattress salesā€ at various chain stores and for mattresses made by major manufacturers are a gimmick that is meant to create a false sense of urgency in consumers. Quality mattresses can be purchased every day of the year and the ā€œsalesā€ that you hear advertised only change their name ā€¦ not the prices. All of the mattresses that advertise ā€œ50% offā€ ā€¦ or more are based on highly inflated ā€œsuggested retail pricesā€ that nobody ever pays.

In another thread today ā€¦ I listed a few factory direct mattress manufacturers in Baton Rouge that I had talked with and that made and sold high quality mattresses but when I saw your post I thought Iā€™d dig a little deeper into what was available in Lafayette ā€¦ and much to my surprise there is a factory dirrect manufacturer right there.

They are irwinsmattressmart.com/
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: irwinsmattressmart.com

I called them and they make any type of mattress you may want including memory foam, latex, and innersprings and they use good quality materials and construction methods that make sure that their mattresses last. They have also been around for a very long time. I talked with Scott who is the grandson of the original founder and is the third generation to work in the business.

You can go there any time you want and any day of the year and you will find better quality and value than anything that is available in the chain stores or from a major manufacturer. Of course you could still buy a mattress in the holidays but at least itā€™s nice to know that you wonā€™t have to to get the best quality and value.

The adjustable bed I linked to in a previous post is the same manufacturer that makes the iComfort adjustable bed and is the same quality with some minor differences in features. The 3 main adjustable bed brands that they sell (Ergomotion, Reverie, and Leggett and Platt) are the same manufacturers who supply almost all the adjustable beds that are sold in this country under various other names or in combination with many major brand mattresses. For example ā€¦ Reverie makes the adjustable bed which is sold by Tempurpedic (I purchased one of these from the outlet I linked to to go under my own latex mattress and itā€™s great)

So now I have to update the Louisiana thread to include a new discovery as well ā€¦ so thank you for posting and helping me to find another local manufacturer who is still making high quality mattresses at great prices :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thank you so much for your priceless information. I have been feeling a bit overwhelmed and that false sense of urgency to buy a mattress now.

I really appreciate the time you took to enlighten me and also the research you did in finding a local mattress manufacturer. I went out shopping yesterday and was not satisfied with what I found at my local chains. I will definately go to the outlet you found today.

I am going to slow down and take the time to decide on the correct choice for my husband and myself. We looked at latex beds yesterday and also I think we should get a split king adjustable. I am still not sure about memory foam or latex but I am going to see what I can learn at Irwinā€™s.

I will report what I find.

Thanks again.
yagottawanta

We were set on the iComfort Prodigy until I ran across this thread. Now I am overwhelmed and am not sure what to get. I sleep hot and so was opting for the iComfort. What are your suggestions to give me a similar feel to the Prodigy or perhaps another option that might be better for our situation. We tried the 2 lower end iComfort and they were too firm and the other 2 were too soft so the Prodigy was the best. We didnā€™t try any innerspring but are open to any good choices you may have for those as well.

I am 145 lbs and mostly a stomach sleeper but sometimes side. My husband is a back and stomach sleeper and is 200 lbs. We are 41. I add this because I know our mattress needs change as we get older. We both wake up with back pain on our 6YO Serta (I believe it is a Perfect Day, pd. $1400 for it).

We live in Rochester, MN. We would love to try before we buy, or Samā€™s club that has a good return policy. There is a local manufacturer of mattresses called Rest Assured. Do you have an opinion about them. THe web site is myrestassuredmattress.com

Thanks for your time!

Hi Nancycs,

There are several factory direct manufacturers within reasonable driving distance of you that I know of but http://myrestassuredmattress.com/ is the only one that is local. I havenā€™t talked with them but I have developed a good sense of the type of manufacturer that provides good quality and value and they definitely fit the profile. They appear to offer innerspring and memory foam options but I donā€™t see anything about latex on their website although it wouldnā€™t surprise me if they offered this as well. I would certainly pay them a visit as it is very likely that the quality and value here is better than the other outlets in your area.

ADDED: I have since had several lengthy conversations with Chuck and there is no doubt that he is ā€œmattress peopleā€ and makes high quality and value mattresses. They are also known and respected by other manufacturers I have talked with. I would make them my first stop if I was in the Rochester area.

The others are in the Minneapolis/St Paul area. They are ā€¦

http://www.restwellmattress.com/locations.asp Local factory direct manufacturer who makes a range of innerspring, memory foam, and latex mattresses that are transparent about their materials and have good value.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: restwellmattress.com/locations.asp

Find an Original Mattress Factory Store Regional factory direct manufacturer that makes a wide range of mattresses including innerspring, memory foam (just introduced) and latex that also use good quality materials and have good value. One of the larger factory direct manufacturers in the country.

Natural Mattress Co. A local mom and pop supplier in Crystal, MN that supplies mattress components including 5 different firmness levels of 3" Dunlop layers, wool batting, and mattress covers (including wool quilted) that you can put together at home. The work from their home where you can go to test different layer combinations. Since these are components only, you can build a mattress without a fire barrier.

There is a larger list in post #2 here that includes these and some additional local retailers.

Unfortunately, it is not uncommon at all for a 6 year old major brand mattress to cause discomfort as the foam softens and begins to break down creating alignment issues over the course of the night. This is one of the reasons I like more local or regional factory direct manufacturers because they use higher quality materials and better construction methods which results in much longer lasting mattresses with better value.

One other advantage of most local manufacturers is that they will make side to side ā€œsplitā€ construction mattresses where each side is built to the needs and preferences of different people. This can be really valuable as instead of having to compromise on what is best for both of you ā€¦ you can each choose a construction that is better suited to your individual needs and preferences.

Side and stomach sleeping is a particularly challenging combination because stomach sleepers typically need a firmer and thinner comfort layer with a firmer support layer underneath it to prevent the pelvic area from sinking in too far leading to a swayback position which can often cause back issues. The ā€œgoalā€ here is to use the thinnest and firmest possible comfort layers on the top of the mattress which alleviates pressure issues on your side so that you are in better alignment when on your stomach. Itā€™s important though not to go too thin or too firm (for the top layers) because that can lead to pressure issues when you sleep on your side so the ā€œthinnest and firmest that does the jobā€ is usually the best.

Memory foam is a non supportive foam because it will allow you to sink in more than other foams ā€¦ particularly with your heavier areas. It is all ā€œsoftā€ foam even though it often feels firm when you press it quickly or when it is cooler. If you do choose to go with memory foam ā€¦ I would make sure that it was not too thick because it will allow your pelvic area to sink in deeper than other foams. High quality polyfoam (HR grade) or high quality latex have what is called a higher support factor (they get firmer faster as you sink deeper into the foam) and are much better at adapting to different sleeping positions than memory foam however they have a much different feel. They are also cooler foams ā€¦ particularly latex ā€¦ than memory foams (although the gel memory foam is cooler than other types of memory foam).

Because your husband is heavier ā€¦ he will likely need a firmer comfort layer than you (firmer foam feels softer to heavier people than it does to lighter people) and perhaps a little thicker as well to accommodate his larger size and because he probably spends more time on his side than you do.

Most local manufacturers though are quite expert at ā€œfittingā€ a mattress to your weight and body shape, sleeping positions, and preferences and it is certainly more accurate to do this in person with someone who is good at this than to make more ā€œtypicalā€ suggestions based on averages which may not be suitable for your own unique needs.

I have no doubt that with the 3 choices you have within a reasonable distance (or even with the one that is local), it is unlikely that you will have to spend time at any of the mass marketing outlets or even buy a mattress from an online outlet such as Sams Club which is great because of the return policy but not so great in terms of actually knowing whether a particular mattress will be suitable for your needs and preferences and canā€™t be ā€œcustomizedā€ in the same way or offer a side to side split construction if it is needed.

Iā€™d certainly be interested in hearing about your experience with Rest Assured if you do pay them a visit.

Phoenix

Phoenix thank you for your quick response. After a lot of research on your site I have decided we will go with a inner spring. We are thinking of a pocket coil to help with motion transfer but we will check them all out.

I talked to Chuck (the owner) at Rest Assured and I am pleased with my conversation. He talked to me and invited me to come in. The thing that impressed me most is that if he doesnā€™t have what works for us he doesnā€™t want to sell us a mattress that we wonā€™t be happy with. I think customer satisfaction is his goal. I know when I go in he will not pressure us into buying a mattress to get a sale even if it isnā€™t the right one. I will let you know what happens when I visit him.

I think we will also visit the 2 that are just about an hour form us. We go there enough so it will not be out of our way. I want to get the best mattress for us so I want to check out the options.

THanks again!

Hi Nancycs,

Thanks for the feedback! They certainly had the feel of ā€œmattress peopleā€ which usually indicates low pressure, good knowledge, high quality, and good prices, itā€™s good to have you confirm that with personal experience.

When I have the chance I will make a point of talking with them to find out a little more about them but for now they certainly fit the profile of a good quality factory direct manufacturer.

Phoenix

I have been so confused about all the choices of mattresses. Ours is 20 years old and I am definitely feeling it. You posts have been very helpful as I have also been looking at the Icomfort although Iā€™m not sure I will like memory foam. Iā€™ve heard latex is more comfortable and since I have neck shoulder and back issues, I want to be sure I make the right choice. any suggestions? I have not found any dealers near me that have latex mattresses for me to try. I live in
Florence, South Carolina. Can you tell me if there is a dealer or manufacturer near me?
Thanks

Hi jmbramblett,

There are several local and regional manufacturers in the general area of Florence that sell factory direct although they are a bit of a drive away. These types of outlets are usually the best source of both quality and value. While they are some distance away ā€¦ it will probably save you time overall to call them first to get a good idea of what they make ā€¦ their prices ā€¦ and how helpful and knowledgeable they are and then choose to visit the ones that seem to offer the best combination of choices, knowledge, service and willingness to help you with good information on the phone. All of these make latex mattresses in various models.

https://www.bestmattress.net/ West Columbia, Columbia, SC. Local factory direct manufacturer.

https://www.thecharlestonmattress.com/ Charleston, Hilton Head island, SC. Local factory direct manufacturer

http://dilworthmattressfactory.com/ Charlotte, NC. Local factory direct manufacturer.

http://www.southernbeddingofcolumbia.com/ Columbia, SC. Local factory direct manufacturer

https://www.originalmattress.com/ Rock Hill, SC. Regional factory direct manufacturer

There are also a few options which may be more local to you so you donā€™t have to drive as far to try a latex mattress even though they may not have the same value as some of the more distant factory direct outlets.

Carolina Mattress Guild These are a regional manufacturer that only sells wholesale to retail outlets. they make latex mattresses and they will give you a list of any local outlets that carry them if you email them from their site.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: carolinamattressguild.com/

https://www.parrotts-furniture.com/ Florence, SC. This is a retail outlet that carries Jamison mattresses which include a variety of good quality latex models that donā€™t use polyfoam over the latex comfort layer. I called and they do carry several of their latex mattresses and they would also be well worth trying. All the Jamison specs are on the Jamison website.

https://www.knightfurnitureshowrooms.com/Default.aspx Florence, SC. This is a retail outlet that carries Restonic mattresses. I also called here to make surre that the Restonic latex models they carry donā€™t have any polyfoam over the latex and they donā€™t (Restonic is made differently in different areas of the country). They have a model which has a latex 6" core and a softer 2" latex comfort layer which may be well worth trying.

I had an interesting conversation today with one of the local stores (local to you) I called to see if they had any ā€œlatexā€ mattresses that you could try. She said ā€œsureā€. I asked for the details to see if it had any polyfoam in the mattress comfort layer and she got the spec sheet and read it to me. When she read the spec sheet to me ā€¦ I noticed there was a 2" layer of 1217 foam and I commented that the ā€œ1217ā€ foam over the latex was polyfoam (and there was more in the quilting as well). Her comment was ā€œI donā€™t know anything about foamā€. I said ā€œthank youā€ and ended the conversation thinking ā€œhow can someone be selling mattresses that knows nothing about foamā€. Unfortunately this is all too common in the industry. Iā€™m mentioning this just to give an example of how important it can be to only deal with outlets that truly know what is in every layer of their mattress and are knowledgeable about the different types of foam and mattress construction. 1217 foam is low quality foam and along with the other polyfoam in the mattress would be the weak link in the mattress and the source of soft spots and impressions over time. It just amazes me that people who sell mattresses like this can call it a ā€œlatex mattressā€.

If you have any questions along the way ā€¦ feel free to post them here. I hope this helps a bit.

Phoenix

This is great information. Thank you so much. I will definitely check out several that you mentioned and am glad to know that a few of the local dealers have latex in their stores. Iā€™m not surprised that the salesperson did not know what you were talking about. That seems to be the norm in a lot of stores. They are just there to sell the product. Iā€™ll keep you posted and again, thank you so much for your feedback.

I live in Sacramento CA and was looking at the icomfort Revolution as I like the plush beds and the memory foam. After reading through several posts I too am just as confused if not more than other people on here. I have an 8 year old sleep number with an adjustable base but am starting to sink in the middle of my bed where the divider is at. I have a queen size bed and am 6ā€™3" and 175 and I have no clue what I should be looking for. Firm beds donā€™t bode well with me and I usually sleep on my side and back. Phoenix can you please help me on where I should start looking? thanks