Arhaus Store Retreat Mattresses - poly foam

Hi there,
I wanted your opinion Or anyones input) on the Arhaus Retreat Plush Mattress, which is a spring coil mattress with 4 inches of 1.5 / 15 ILD poly foam Retreat Plush Mattress – Arhaus .and not much else. What is your opinion on the actual construction/ makeup of the mattress? I am trying to figure out if I should keep this or not and only have about 25 more days to figure it out. I am a side and stomach sleeper. Ive had this mattress about a month and the first 2-3 weeks I was sore in my shoulder, upper and lower back, and definitely my hips. This thing felt like a brick to me. That being said my previous mattress was a Costco Sealy Posturepedic Waterford (? which I loved until the sagging) which was sagging pretty good.I don’t know if I was so sore because my last mattress was sagging and my body is adjusting? At this time I’m less sore but I don’t feel like my body sinks in as much as I would like it to especially my shoulder and hip area. I do still feel minor soreness in my lower back when waking up. I tried a a Costco Serenity by Tempurpedic 3" memory foam topper which definitely helps alleviate most of the soreness (still al little in my lower back) but its way to thick and its difficult to move around on. PART II or question would be, what kind of topper could help me out as I’ll lose about $300 if I return this mattress, They say toppers can help immensley, just not sure which kind to use or return the mattress and start over. I do like more plush cozy beds Im almost 50 so have neck, back and shoulder issues.

Someone else who slept on the mattress thought it was like sleeping on air (which is how its advertised).

Thanks in advance!

Hi mgoodw,

I’m sorry, but I am not an expert on coil spring mattresses. My only observation is that the mattress already has a soft 4" comfort top layer, I would not add a topper to it, as this would make the comfort layer to thick and may cause support issues in the future. I can’t really tell what to do, but if it was me, I would not try to fix a new mattress with a topper.

Good luck with what ever decision you take and please keep us posted!

All the best

I appreciate your response! I am new to the forum, do you know who in the forum might have more input regarding the coil spring mattress?

Hey mgoodw,

Welcome to the Mattress Underground :slight_smile: ! Thanks for your question.

Congrats on your new mattress purchase :slight_smile: ! Thanks for including the link to your Arhaus Retreat Plush mattress as it was helpful for taking a quick peak at it (of which as you said, there is not “much else” to view of its specs). You may find a review of Phoenix’s article “The Basic Functions of a Mattress” helpful for better understanding different ILD ratings of comfort and support materials.A 15 ILD rating is considered “extra soft” for latex, but polyfoams are generally measured in terms of density, and 1.5 lb per cu. ft. density is somewhat on the lower end of a higher gradepolyfoam. I can see from the product cutaway that the 4 inch polyfoam comfort layer is combined with a pocked coil array featuring quantum-edge coils, a popular Leggett & Platt support construction.

Thanks for including your preferred sleep positions, mgoodw. I’m sorry to hear of your shoulder, upper and lower back soreness while transitioning to your new mattress, and certain degrees of this is to be expected with a new one, especially if the former mattress was causing you any pain due to the “pretty good sagging” you were dealing with. To better understand how your body is interacting with your Retreat Plush mattress, could you give details regarding your weight, height, and body profile/ weight distribution? When you say that this mattress “feels like a brick” to you, could you briefly describe how your shoulders, upper/ lower back and hips are positioned while lying on the mattress or better yet, can you snap a pic of your spinal alignment while lying on the mattress in your side sleeping position? How old was your Costco Sealy mattress when you replaced it?

[quote]I don’t know if I was so sore because my last mattress was sagging and my body is adjusting? At this time I’m less sore but I don’t feel like my body sinks in as much as I would like it to especially my shoulder and hip area. I do still feel minor soreness in my lower back when waking up.
[/quote]

Just a few more questions for you as we explore possible sources of soreness: what are you using for a foundation with your new mattress? What age and type are your pillows or did you update them too with your new mattress?

[quote]I tried a a Costco Serenity by Tempurpedic 3" memory foam topper which definitely helps alleviate most of the soreness (still al little in my lower back) but its way to thick and its difficult to move around on.
[/quote]

Memory foam has its own set of unique properties, providing the “sleeping in” a mattress quality as your body’s heat triggers the “slow response” properties of changing pressure and shape in the comfort layer. Memory foam can also take more time to adjust in different sleeping positions, which as you describe creates the feeling of “difficult to move around on” for those who change positions often or are sensitive to the time it takes for the memory foam to conform to their new position.

[quote]PART II or question would be, what kind of topper could help me out as I’ll lose about $300 if I return this mattress, They say toppers can help immensley, just not sure which kind to use or return the mattress and start over. I do like more plush cozy beds Im almost 50 so have neck, back and shoulder issues.
[/quote]

Thanks @Mario/ expert trusted member MFC/ Memory Foam Comfort for your well-stated response; “My only observation is that the mattress already has a soft 4" comfort top layer, I would not add a topper to it, as this would make the comfort layer to thick and may cause support issues in the future. I can’t really tell what to do, but if it was me, I would not try to fix a new mattress with a topper.” I’m happy to hear that the memory foam topper has helped improve things, but do take care to notice any support changes that may happen later. Looking forward to your reply and hope you’re pressure point pains continue to improve as you and your new mattress get to know each other better :wink: .

Sensei