At the end of my rope.

Hi,

I had a lumbar fusion on January 7, 2014…so, almost 11 months ago. I’m doing well. However…

I purchased a new mattress from Sleepy’s which was delivered the day before my surgery. To make a VERY long story short, I have had nothing but problems with this mattress (severe sagging issues) which has not been conducive to my recovery and continued spinal health. As well, I have had a long string of negative interactions with Sleepy’s with finally led me to post a very long, very strongly worded public letter on their Facebook page which received a lot of attention from my Facebook friends. The day after I posted the letter, I received a call (on a Sunday) from Sleepy’s corporate offices, giving me an exchange number to get a new mattress of equal or GREATER value. (Lesser and I lose the money, naturally.)

So, now I need to choose a new mattress. But I am stuck working with Sleepy’s, which I now realize was my first mistake. I had originally wanted a Sleep Number bed, but didn’t want to spend that much money. I should have gone with the Sleep Number bed. But now I’m stuck with Sleepy’s. (I’m still paying off the mattress, by the way.)

My original mattress was a (according to my receipt) GS Sterns FM EPT Queen mattress, whatever that means. I’m going to guess FM means firm. I don’t know what EPT means. My sister and mother had a very good experience with the mattresses they bought (same kind, only I went with a slightly more expensive model). But mine, not so much.

I just visited Sleepy’s last night to see about choosing a new mattress. I’m afraid to go with the same brand because I’m reading that other people have had similar bad experiences with them. Sagging, etc. Well, out of a showroom full of other mattresses, the Sleepy’s professional was only able to show me ONE model that would meet my needs and match the price of my other mattress. That one was the Beautyrest Legends Firm mattress.

The reviews I have read about this mattress have pretty much been horrendous. So…thoughts? Suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

Carrie

Hi Carrie,

Unfortunately you are in a similar position to many other that have come to the forum and are somewhat caught between a rock and a hard place with a mattress that hasn’t held up or that wasn’t a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and needing to exchange it at a chain store where there aren’t any particularly good quality/value options available to you.

You can also see my thoughts about airbeds in this article.

Post #2 here has more information and suggestions about the two main strategies that you can use that can help you make the best possible choice.

Post #13 here also has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase (or exchange) that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between the options you have available as well.

Phoenix