Atlantic Beds

Does anyone have any feedback on Atlantic Beds. I tried to call but haven’t gotten a response back (Plus I figured this would be more unbiased). I did a search on this forum and there are only a few post here so I’m not sure if that’s good or bad.
Specifically I am interested in

1. The construction of the beds (basically do they use good certified foam and foam densities). Related to this does anyone know the density of their base material?
  2. The amount of heat they trap because it doesn’t seem that they use gel or phase change material in their beds
  3. Their warrantee (full and prorated)
  4. Any other information about them that people might have

Thanks in advance

Randall

Hi re-vogel,

I don’t think the number of posts about them would be either good or bad … it just indicates that fewer or the members have asked about them or have considered them. You’ve probably read this but the tutorial post also includes a link to many of the better online sources of memory foam mattresses I’m aware of that would also be worth considering.

They do make a couple of claims on their site that I don’t consider to be accurate. The first is about shipping a mattress compressed and you can see my thoughts about this in post #2 here.

The second is about the benefits of component mattresses (usually with latex mattresses) vs glued layers and they indicate that component mattresses can have issues with layers shifting which isn’t normally the case (and is more about their marketing in their own self interest than reality). There is more about glued vs unglued layers in post #2 here and the post it links to.

Post #2 here has some comments about them as well.

They appear to use American made memory foam which I would consider to be good quality as long as they meet the guidelines here. I don’t know the density of the base foam they use but they should be able to tell you.

Unfortunately there is no objective way to predict or measure this and it would also vary by person (depending on how hot they tend to sleep and whether they are closer to an oven or an iceberg). Different people will have different experiences on the same mattress in terms of sleeping temperature but in general terms … memory foam would tend to be warmer than other types of foam materials. Having said that … post #2 here includes more information about all the many variables that combine together to affect sleeping temperature besides just the foam in a mattress that may be helpful. Post #6 here also has more information about different ways that can help “cool down” memory foam mattresses.

All I see on their site is a 25 year warranty but it doesn’t say which part is prorated. I personally would put much more emphasis on the quality/density of the materials than a mattress warranty which is more about marketing than anything else and has little to do with the useful life of a mattress (see post #174 here).

The two most important parts of a mattress purchase is how well a mattress matches your specific needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and the durability of the materials (you can see the guidelines I would use in post #4 here).

They do use some of the Tempurpedic mattresses as a reference point for some of their mattresses like many other online memory foam manufacturers or retailers. You can also see some of the different ways that one mattress can “match” another one in post #9 here. In addition to this they have a good return policy which only charges a flat fee of $99 (which is more than some and less than others) which includes shipping both ways in case their comparison isn’t as close as you hoped for or if the mattress isn’t a good match for you in terms of PPP.

Phoenix

Phoenix, I’m really concerned about being warm. In your opinion is there a company that make a “memory foam cooling system” that allows it to be as cool as a box spring or latex. Basically where my relative sleep experience would be the same as on latex or inter spring. If so who?

Also, are there any central FL local brands that you would recommend?

Hi re-vogel,

Unfortunately there are just too many variables involved to predict this and I have no personal experience with any of the memory foam mattresses you may be considering (I personally sleep on latex). While some of the newer more breathable memory foams or gel memory foams or some of the cooling technologies in the links I mentioned would be fine for most people (and your mattress protector, sheets, and bedding and your room environment will also have a significant effect) memory foam itself is inherently more insulating than other types of foam and there are no objective comparisons available between different mattresses or even specific materials and how they compare to each other. Even latex can sleep warm for some people depending on the specifics of the mattress and cover and your sheets and bedding and an innerspring with natural fibers and no foam in the comfort layers would be the coolest of any mattress design but they can also be more costly.

If I was dealing with an unknown like this where you don’t know how warm you will sleep on a specific mattress or how you may compare to “most people” in terms of sleeping temperature … I would base my choices on more detailed conversations with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart along with their return policy “just in case” what most people experience isn’t your experience as well.

I don’t recommend brands because the name of the manufacturer on a label isn’t nearly as important as the materials they use inside a mattress. Most manufacturers make a wide range of different types of mattresses and they all have access to similar materials … but if you let me know your city or zip code and where you are in Central Florida I’d be happy to let you know of any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of that are closest to you (there are several forum lists that would be in “Central Florida”.

Phoenix

The Orlando or Tampa Area (i’m in between the two).

Hi re_vogel,

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Tampa area are in post #143 here and in the Orlando area are in post #2 here.

Post #5 here also has a list centered around Avon Park, FL but it doesn’t have as many good options.

Phoenix