Australian *Simplified Choice* Mattress Comparison

Hi Phoenix,

I’m in the market for a mattress in Australia. I read your guide and it’s very helpful. I also read the article you wrote on Simplified Choice mattresses and found particularly the section on each different choice trustworthy. I would like to make a request now that Australia has so many choices of our own that if you got the chance for you to be able to do a small review of some of the major players.

I’ve listed the brands I found:

• Koala
  • Ecosa
  • Greywing
  • Sleeping Duck
  • OzMattress
  • Ergoflex
  • Lazybed
  • Onebed

I have spoken to multiple online support about their brand and have found that the websites even all look the same, use the same customer facing chat service and the same financing company which is suspicious.

Thank you very much for your support and help. Australia is a much smaller market than the US, however, there’s still enough room for obfuscation.

Hi joshuatvernon,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! … all the way from Australia.

While most of the focus of the forum is on North America … I also think it would be helpful to have some information about some of the Australian simplified choice mattresses and It will be a good complement to the list of Australian retailers and manufacturers in post #7 here.

To start with and just to make sure that everyone that reads this is on the same page … the first post in the simplified choice topic would be well worth reading.

There is also more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While nobody can speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else or whether it will be a good “match” in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress … outside of PPP (which is the most important part of “value”), the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress.

This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

This is the part that I can help with as long as I know all the information I would need to know (see this article) to make any meaningful comments about the durability and useful life of the mattress so I’ll list each of them and either mention what you would need to find out before I can make any meaningful comments or if all the information I would need is available then I’ll make some comments about the durability of the materials in the mattress.

There are also a couple of others I’m aware of that I’ll include as well which are …

Sommuto
Sleep Republic

and I’ll also add any others that I come across.

It may take a week or two to find the time to look at the Australian simplified choice mattresses so watch this space and I will edit this post and add information as I get to each of them.

Phoenix

- Koala:

Top layer: They call this a Kloud layer which is probably a type of what I call high performance polyfoam. I would need to know the thickness and density of this layer.

Base layer: 38 kg/m3 polyfoam which translates to 2.37 lbs/ft3 which is a high quality material that would be suitable for any weight range although I would want to know the thickness of this layer as well.

- Ecosa:

Top layer: 100% natural continuous pour Dunlop latex. This is a high quality material but I would want to know the thickness.

Middle layer: Memory foam. I would need to know the thickness and density of this layer.

Base layer: Polyfoam. I would need to know the thickness and density of this layer as well.

- Greywing:

Top layer: Latex. This is a good quality material but I would want to know the thickness and the type and blend of the latex.

Middle layer: Memory foam. I would need to know the thickness and density of this layer.

Base layer: Polyfoam. I would need to know the thickness and density of this layer as well.

- Sleeping Duck:

Top layer: 20 mm (.79") Synthetic Dunlop latex (80% natural 20% synthetic). This is a good quality and durable material

Second layer: 20 mm (.79") Gel memory foam. I would need to know the density of this layer.

Third layer: 80 mm (3.15") Polyfoam. I would need to know the thickness and density of this layer.

Support core: 5 zone pocket coil with coil edge support. This is a good quality component.

- OzMattress MOD:

Quilting layer: Polyester fiber. I would need to know the thickness of this layer.

Top layer: Latex. This is a good quality material but I would want to know the type and blend and the thickness of this layer.

Second layer: Polyfoam. I would need to know the thickness and the density of this layer.

Support core: Zoned innerspring with a firmer center zone and steel coil edge support… This is a good quality component.

Stabilization layer: Polyfoam. While this wouldn’t be the weakest link in the mattress I would want to know the thickness and the density.

NOTE: Based on the picture it appears that there may be one additional layer and if this is the case then I would need to know the specifics of this layers as well.

- OzMattress Supra:

Quilting layer: Wool. This is a good quality natural fiber but I would want to know the thickness.

Top layer: Latex. This is a good quality material but I would want to know the type and blend and the thickness of this layer.

Second layer: Memory foam. I would need to know the thickness and the density of this layer.

Support core: Zoned innerspring with a firmer center zone and a polyfoam surround for edge support… This is a good quality component but I would need to know the density of the polyfoam around the pocket coil.

NOTE: Based on the picture it appears that there may be one additional layer and if this is the case then I would need to know the specifics of this layers as well.

- OzMattress Grand Master:

Quilting layer: Natural silk and natural wool blend. These are good quality natural fibers but I would want to know the thickness.

Top layer: Buckling column gel sections that are inside cutouts in a memory foam layer. The buckling column gel is a good quality material but I would need to know the thickness of the buckling colums and the type and thickness and density of the foam layer that they are embedded in…

Second layer: Memory foam. I would need to know the thickness and the density of this layer.

Support core: Zoned innerspring with a firmer center zone and a polyfoam surround for edge support… This is a good quality component but I would need to know the density of the polyfoam around the pocket coil.

- Ergoflex

Top layer: 9 cm (3.54") 5.3 lb density memory foam. This is a good quality material

Second layer: 1.97" Convoluted polyfoam. I would need to know the density of this layer.

Base Layer: 9 cm (3.54") Polyfoam. I wiould need to know the density of this layer.

Hi Phoenix,

In New Zealand we only seem to have Koala and Ecosa, so I’m interested in this too. Here’s what I’ve managed to get out of Ecosa’s support so far:

- Ecosa:

Top layer: 20mm (0.79") 100% natural continuous pour Dunlop latex.

Middle layer: 50mm (1.97") 60kg/m3 (3.75 lb/ft3) Ecosa brand gel memory foam.

Base layer: 180mm (7.09") 60kg/m3 (3.75 lb/ft3) polyfoam.

I’d appreciate your thoughts on that!

Hi monopcalypse,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! from New Zealand! :lol:

[quote]- Ecosa:

Top layer: 20mm (0.79") 100% natural continuous pour Dunlop latex.

Base layer: 180mm (7.09") 60kg/m3 (3.75 lb/ft3) polyfoam.[/quote]

Thank you for finding out that information about the Ecosa mattress.

The top layer of Dunlop latex is a durable material. The middle memory foam layer is bordering on what I consider the “minimum” for durability for those in moderate BMI ranges. This is approaching the 4 lb. minimum that I like to recommend. Above 90 kilos, I’d recommend something that is 5 lb. density for memory foam.

The base layer is intriguing for me. I’d want to confirm with Ecosa that this specification is actually correct. A density of 3.75 lb. (listing exactly the same as the memory foam) is outside of the normal range for a base polyfoam in a mattress (usually we see 1.5 lb. – 2.5 lb. here in North America). This chart from the Polyurethane Foam Association places this polyfoam in the range of automotive seat cushions or carpet underlay.

Without confirming the base layer of polyfoam, but assuming it is at least a minimum of 1.8 lb., this product would tend to have componentry that is suitable for people in a moderate BMI range. Of course, having a good return/exchange policy is important with any online purchase where you can’t test the item in person, and Ecosa has a 100 night trial, so that’s a good thing.

Let me know if you’re able to confirm that polyfoam base layer. Those numbers just don’t seem to be right, based upon my experience and what the industry tends to use in these mattresses.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I thought the density of the base layer seemed unusual too, so I double-checked and got this reply: “That is just our design, a firmer base for support and longevity with a softer materials on top for comfort.” I’m also waiting to hear back about whether the foam is certified to have low VOC emissions, since they’re quite vague on their website.

Thanks for your comments.
– Mono

Hi monopocalypse,

Yes, that’s just a bunch of gibberish. And didn’t answer your question. Quite often, the people in the chat forums or on the telephone are customer service representatives who really know nothing more than what is typed for them in a booklet about the product. Sometimes it takes an email to the appropriate person to get a more detailed answer, if one at all.

I’ll look forward to your findings.

Phoenix

Well I still haven’t managed to get anything useful from Ecosa support, but I have found a few more retailers in NZ. Here’s a summary of all of them. Prices are for a queen size in NZD, including any sales at time of writing.

- Napp ($1048):

Top layer: 60mm (2.36") 45kg/m3 (2.81 lb/ft3) Hygroflex Indulge hybrid memory/HR foam.

Middle layer: 50mm (1.97") 45kg/m3 (2.81 lb/ft3) memory foam.

Base layer: 140mm (5.51") 35kg/m3 (2.18 lb/ft3) polyfoam.

Note: The owner responded to my questions himself and was very forthcoming with technical information. The foams are all GECA approved, and the mattress uses water-based adhesives. The mattress is manufactured and guaranteed by A. H. Beard (a large Australian company). Hygroflex has a support factor of 1.85, so calling it HR foam might be a stretch – the manufacturer says it has “the features of memory foam combined with the functionality of high resilience foam” (source).

- Sleep & Co S3 ($799):
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: sleepandco.nz/product/s3-memory-foam/

Top layer: 40mm (1.57") dunlop latex.

Middle layer: 50mm (1.97") 2.5lb/ft3 memory foam.

Base layer: 170mm (6.69") 1.5lb/ft3 polyfoam.

Note: The memory foam and polyfoam are both Certi-PUR certified, and the mattress uses water-based adhesives. They also have a range of pocket spring mattresses.

- Koala ($975) :

Top layer: 12.5cm (4.92") 35kg/m3 (2.18 lb/ft3) polyfoam.

Base layer: 12.5cm (4.92") 38 kg/m3 (2.37 lb/ft3) memory foam.

Note: Total thickness is 250mm (9.84"). Both layers are GECA approved, and the mattress uses water-based adhesive. They quietly removed a layer from their product a few months ago, which calls all the reviews on their website into question, The support rep said the layers are “the same type of foam but different densities”, but she also said they’re made by Dunlop Foams so by a process of elimination these are consist of multiple layer of polyfoam.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint 1: dunlopfoams.com.au/get-product-detail/products/bedding/op35-110 | Archived Footprint 2: dunlopfoams.com.au/get-product-detail/products/bedding/ST35-230]ST35-230 | Archived Footprint 3: dunlopfoams.com.au/get-product-detail/products/bedding/ST35-200]ST35-200 | Archived Footprint 4: dunlopfoams.com.au/get-product-detail/products/medical/lr38-40-0]LR38-40

- Ecosa ($950):

Top layer: 20mm (0.79") continuous pour Dunlop latex.

Base layer: 180mm (7.09") 60kg/m3 (3.75 lb/ft3) polyfoam.

Note: They still haven’t been able to tell me what certification their foams have.

Hi monopocalypse,

Thanks for the updates and some of your findings. :wink:

It’s nice that the Napp mattress owner responded to your inquiry with information. Transparency certainly is an important part of your value equation. All of the foams listed are higher in quality and there are no weak links in the mattress. The Hygroflex appears to be one of the newer generations of HR polyfoams that take on some of the resilience characteristics of memory foam, but have better airflow and larger windows in the foam. The GECA approval is “similar” to CertiPUR-US standards, but there are other elements for which the product is not allowed to have and there are also “social considerations”.

With the Sleep & Co S3 mattress, the Dunlop would certainly be a durable material, but of course you’d want to know more about it, and more specifically you’d want to know the information about the memory foam and polyfoam core layers that we previously discussed. Hopefully they’ll get back to you with that information.

Thanks for the updates.

Phoenix

I’ve updated my previous post with more information. At this point I’m tossing up between Napp and Sleep & Co – Ecosa are being very cagey about whether they have any kind of environmental certification which has put me off, and the Koala mattress doesn’t particularly appeal to me. I’m not entirely sold on the top layer of the Napp mattress or the bottom layer of the Sleep & Co mattress. I’d love a second opinion!

Hi monopocalypse,

Thank you for updating some of your previous posts.

In the Napp mattress, the Hygroflex-Indulge HR polyfoam looks to be one of the newer generation of polyfoams of a higher-density that have some of the pressure relieving properties of memory foam, but have the resiliency typical of a polyfoam. The Joyce Foam VPF manufacturing is also quite interesting. As a polyfoam, the density is a good quality – above the 2.5 lb. threshold for HR polyfoam. The middle layer of memory foam is a little lower in density than what I’d normally like to see in a mattress in this price range.

The Sleep & Co. mattress uses 1.5 lb. polyfoam in the base. It uses a good quality Dunlop latex in the upper layer, and a similar density of a middle layer of memory foam to the Napp mattress, but at 1.5 lb. it is a little lower quality than what I would normally recommend for a mattress in this price range (1.8 lb. would be better). 1.5 lb. can be a good option when used in more introductory mattresses in lower price ranges as a trade-off to reduce price, but the Sleep & Co. is still in the “same ballpark” of pricing with these other models.

I hope that information is helpful as you continue to perform your research.

Phoenix

Wow thanks for the information everyone.

Phoenix, based on the information above what would you recommend for a BMI of 25 (front sleeper) out of the Koala and Sleep and Co?

I have emailed Sleep and Co for more information regarding the layers in their S4 mattress as it is roughly the same price as the Koala after discounts. I will post on here when I know more.

Kindest regards,

Nicholas

Hi Nicholas,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum!:slight_smile:

As you’re probably aware (but maybe not as you’re new to the site), I certainly can help with “how” to choose, but I can’t help with “what” to choose, as there are simply too many variables and personal preferences to take into account.

Regarding the Koala, looking back at the updated post of monopocalypse, I don’t believe the specifications there are correct. The base foam of the mattress is a polyfoam of 38 kg M3 (2.37 lb.), which would certainly be durable enough for someone with your BMI. However, I don’t know the thickness of this foam layer. I’m also unsure about the upper layer of the mattress. They don’t list the thickness or the type of foam, but in another part of their web site they state that this mattress uses two types of polyurethane foam. They seem to be describing some of the new breed of higher-density polyurethane foams that are soft but quite breathable, but I’m not sure, as technically memory foam is a polyurethane foam as well. You’d need to find out this information before I could comment upon the quality of the componentry in this mattress. I don’t have any contacts with Koala, as I focus primarily on products in North America.

If the specifications are correct for the Sleep & Co. S3 (which I believe they are), you can see my comments above that both the memory foam layer and the polyfoam base are lower in density than what I would normally recommend, and would only be considered if this were more of a budget-friendly mattress, knowing that you’d be trading durability for price point.

You may want to read the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

To help you compare, always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=67690]Hi Nicholas,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum!:slight_smile:

As you’re probably aware (but maybe not as you’re new to the site), I certainly can help with “how” to choose, but I can’t help with “what” to choose, as there are simply too many variables and personal preferences to take into account.

Regarding the Koala, looking back at the updated post of monopocalypse, I don’t believe the specifications there are correct. The base foam of the mattress is a polyfoam of 38 kg M3 (2.37 lb.), which would certainly be durable enough for someone with your BMI. However, I don’t know the thickness of this foam layer. I’m also unsure about the upper layer of the mattress. They don’t list the thickness or the type of foam, but in another part of their web site they state that this mattress uses two types of polyurethane foam. They seem to be describing some of the new breed of higher-density polyurethane foams that are soft but quite breathable, but I’m not sure, as technically memory foam is a polyurethane foam as well. You’d need to find out this information before I could comment upon the quality of the componentry in this mattress. I don’t have any contacts with Koala, as I focus primarily on products in North America.

If the specifications are correct for the Sleep & Co. S3 (which I believe they are), you can see my comments above that both the memory foam layer and the polyfoam base are lower in density than what I would normally recommend, and would only be considered if this were more of a budget-friendly mattress, knowing that you’d be trading durability for price point.

You may want to read the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

To help you compare, always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

Phoenix[/quote]

Thanks very much for the reply Phoenix. Sorry, I thought that I had already replied but there must have been an error.

I spoke to the people at Koala and they confirmed what monopocalyse said.

"- Koala strike[/strike] :Now $850

Top layer: 12.5cm (4.92") 35kg/m3 (2.18 lb/ft3) polyfoam.

Base layer: 12.5cm (4.92") 38 kg/m3 (2.37 lb/ft3) [strike]memory foam.[/strike] told me polyfoam

Note: Total thickness is 250mm (9.84"). Both layers are GECA approved, and the mattress uses water-based adhesive. ."

I asked them if the person I spoke to for some information regarding the exact material alphanumeric code but they didn’t know. (Or didn’t want to say).

I haven’t had much out of Sleep and Co except for:

"Hello Nicholas,

The S4 has a layer of cool gel infused memory foam, a layer of Advanced Dunlop Latex and over 1800+ pocket springs set out across 5 zones.

The s4 has a medium feel and is very comfortable. It is also delivered in a box for your convenience."

I then followed up with more questions but I am still waiting.

They seemed a bit evasive when I probed about the exact thicknesses and densities.

Thanks again for the help.

Hi Nicholas,

Thanks for the confirmation of the information on the Koala. So the top layer is indeed one of the new breeds of the higher-density softer polyfoams, and the core is indeed polyfoam, which makes sense. And the thicknesses of both layers are the same at 12.5 cm (which differs a bit from their line drawing on their site, but we know now that obviously isn’t meant to be representative). These are better quality materials and there would be no “weak links” in general for this product.

Knowing the type of foam (polyfoam, memory foam, latex), the thickness and the density (or ILD for latex) would be the most important things.

Regarding the S4, this is a different design from the S3, using a pocketed spring unit instead of a support core, and there are perimeter edge springs that are a bit firmer for edge reinforcement. This would certainly be better in quality than the 1.5 lb. polyfoam core used in the S3. The upper layer is memory foam (instead of latex on the S3) and the latex layer is beneath that. The latex would generally be considered a higher quality material, so it would be nice to know the thickness of that latex layer, and then the density and thickness of the memory foam layer used on top of the mattress. If it’s the same 2.5 lb. memory foam used in the S3, it would be below the guidelines I normally recommend for durability.

Let us know if you hear back from them with more information!

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I appreciate all the information on the options you have collated. One that is missing is the Lazy Bed, I am interested to know more about them as they have a sale on (a queen mattress for $600AUD down from $950) so they are on the cheaper side and are 2 layer construction.

I looked on their website and the information about construction that I found is this:

2-Layer Foam Construction
7.5cm of Davina Polyfoam
17.5cm High-Density Polyurethane

Our foams are OEKO-TEX® Standard 100 certified

They say their top layer has “cooling gel”

I would be interested to know if you can shed any light on the construction of this?

Thank you for your time,

Warm regards,
Danny

Hi dannydigby,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

As you’re aware, this site is primarily focused on North America and even then my focus is not to maintain a running list of all of the “simplified choice” mattresses, but I am happy to comments upon anything presented, even from Australia. :cheer:

The Lazy Bed uses a polyfoam core that is approximately 7" thick (17.5 cm), at an approximate 1.8 lb density (30 kg/M3). The top layer is a memory foam that is approximately 3" thick (7.5 cm) at a 3 lb density (48 kg/M3).

At 3" of a lower density memory foam, this is below the durability guidelines that I normally recommend and I would advise caution against a product using this low of a density of memory foam of this amount in the upper comfort layers.

As for their pricing, I found evidence of other times they’ve offered similar “discounts”. There also seems to be quite a bit of what I believe you term as “sockpuppetry” about their product Down Under, but I guess that is common with many online brands. :wink:

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you for your warm welcome. I have been trying to to get informatiob out of the companies to compare to your durability standards and it is pretty shocking how cagey they are about materials used. The customer service people just say “I don’t know, it’s a good bed though, don’t worry about it!” Not ideal transparency.

I guess my BMI is on the lower end around 19 so durability is perhaps less of an issue but I feel like I’m being conned if paying a lot on a low quality piece of foam :slight_smile:

Looking at the ergoflex mattress their website seems more transparent and they have been around for 10 years as opposed to all the other ones that are one and two years old. I think perhaps many of the companies may not be around to honour their warranty.

However I spoke to Ergoflex and they have said they can’t reveal the materials/densities of the bottom two layers as a trade secret. But the top layer is 85kg/m3 High-Density memory foam. Hmmm. Which seems better than the Lazybed.

I totally know what you mean about sockpuppetry :wink: it can be hard to resist marketing sometimes tho lol

Thanks again,
Danny

Hi dannydigby,

You’re welcome. And I agree. Without the ability to find out the quality of the materials in a mattress, all the education and research in the world is meaningless and only leads to consumers trying to decide who tells the better story in the absence of any meaningful facts which can help them make good decisions.

Yes, you can get along with a bit lower density foams with a lower BMI, but you would still want to know what was on the inside of any product you were considering.

Regarding Ergoflex:
Top layer: 9 cm (3.54") 5.3 lb density memory foam. This is a good quality material
Second layer: 1.97" Convoluted polyfoam. You would need to know the density of this layer.
Base Layer: 9 cm (3.54") Polyfoam. You would need to know the density of this layer.

This may be true with many of the online-only “simplified choice” companies that have cropped up recently, but warranties in general are not nearly as important to me as knowing the materials, because the reason most people need to replace a mattress is not a manufacturing defect but the loss of comfort and/or support, which is not covered by a warranty. Knowing the materials in a mattress will tell you how long the original qualities of a mattress will last relative to other types of materials.

While they may consider this as a “trade secret”, it’s the only way for a consumer to make an educated decision. If a manufacturer or retailer can’t or won’t tell a consumer what is in a mattress they sell, then I will continue to suggest that consumers don’t consider it as a reasonable option.

Phoenix