Avocado mattress? ... & Nest Bedding options

Thank you, nestbedding. I’m not sure that my question is fully answered yet, though. The condensed version of it (since I know it was on the long side) is:

The configuration of the foams in the layers and the types were decided upon after extensive testing for durability and comfort. All of the foams and materials we use in the beds are of the utmost quality, backed by one of the more aggressive and consumer-friendly warranty and guarantees in the business. I have been building beds a long time and I put my reputation behind each one. Each layer has a specific purpose, whether it is durability, comfort or air flow, and of course use cost in mind as well. I put a zipper on top of the Hybrid to allow customers to swap out the top layer for comfort, that is the extent I am comfortable changing any build configuration, deviating from what I know will work well with durability, comfort and air flow.

I am so pleased to see this thread. I am incompatible with the firm middle zoning mattresses so am headed out to your Denver store tomorrow to look at the Organic Hybrid Latex in Plush.

Sorry for the interruption. Are you a Nest Bedding representative? Our family therapist advised my husband to change his mattress to prevent arthritis and relieve his hip pains and issues with knee-joint (he’s job is partially related to weightlifting). I saw your company on this list https://www.talkaboutsleep.com/best-mattress-for-hip-pain/
Are your mattresses really helping to relieve pains? Both my husband and I are over 45. We’d like to get something reliable. Could we please continue our dialog in private messages?

Hi! My name is Brooke and I am Nest Beddings Chief Retail Officer. I would be happy to help assist you in finding a great option for both you and your husband. Please feel free to email my company email at [email protected] to start a dialog.
Hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards,

Greetings –
Apologies if this thread is getting a little overscoped. I’m posting here due to the involvement of Nest reps and the fact that I don’t seem to have an option to start a new thread.

We are currently about 5 weeks into ownership of a Caspar Wave Hybrid, purchased when we were desperate and had not yet discovered this site. It’s a pretty good mattress, but doesn’t quite accommodate my side-sleeping mate (5’2", 180) correctly. We now have a much better idea of how to test that – thank you, TMU. The Wave has also already begun to form slight valleys, though I can’t tell yet if it’s a problem – about 1/8" max in both our sleeping positions, but that hasn’t increased since week #1, so maybe it’s just the quilting layer and wouldn’t matter long term. That part is a sore subject in our house – more on that below.

After better educating ourselves here, we’ve auditioned several others in showrooms recently, and have found some interesting things. First, the 4" Purple seems to work very well for her. I mention the Purple because it provides a reference point – her shoulders and hips sink in just perfectly with no pressure points, as designed, and the lumbar feels well supported in between. That’s the problem we’ve been trying to solve, and the Purple works like it’s supposed to in that regard. Unfortunately, in addition to being very expensive, that type of material has significant downsides which we don’t like (well documented elsewhere).

It turns out that the Nest natural hybrid latex, in plush, seems to be nearly as good at that, without the downsides of the buckling column gel. That, plus the benefit of the horizontal split (I’m all over the place and like my side a little firmer), makes it a very attractive option. We also like the replaceability of the comfort layer – a big plus down the road. Finally, I can’t say I’ve ever encountered mattress store personnel nearly as willing to take time to help and answer detailed questions as Nick at your Seattle store was.

So, I have a few questions:

• The product page for this mattress currently says the 3" replaceable layer is 27 ILD. Is it safe to assume that’s the medium? What are the ILDs for the firm and soft? I’m just trying to relate the feel we perceived to the numbers published, to better understand what they mean.
  • I’m very puzzled by the apparent disconnect between the blog post on Nest’s site which claims that “body impressions” should not happen (Why Did My Bed Get A Body Impression? - Nest Bedding – Nest Bedding®), against Nest’s published warranty, which allows up to 1" sag before a claim will be honored.

We were badly disappointed by a Sealy Diamond Supreme which had completely failed structurally at only 4 years – it not only had measured 1" depressions, but the sides were visibly bulged outward, indicating a significant material failure. (Mind you, we’re not that big – BMIs of just below and just above 30). Sealy’s warranty only covers 1.5" sag. To say we’re a little sensitive to this issue would be fair. We were tired of sleeping in valleys with a mountain between us.

So far, the best warranties I’ve seen, vis-a-vis “body impressions”, are from Tuft and Needle (3/4") and Luma (1/2", though for some reason, you have to ask Luma for the warranty document, as they don’t publish it). Those figures seem to indicate higher confidence in the resistance to cratering, though T&N is unfortunately not transparent about their materials.

We’d be interested in thoughts on this, from Nest as well as other experienced folks. We’d like to calibrate our expectations appropriately, because sleeping in craters made us very grumpy!

TMU: thank you very much for this site. I know that running a forum can be thankless, and it can be a lot of labor. Objective information is very refreshing and very welcome – you’ve done consumers a tremendous service.

HI! I would love to address a few of these questions you about our Latex Hybrid mattress. The 27 ILD listed on our website is the medium latex feel. The ILD for the Soft is 19 and the firm is 34.
I want to clarify our statement on body impressions. Yes, materials can and will wear down over time, especially in the spots that you sleep in. Usual wear and tear for our products do not exceed more than an inch. Inevitable wear and tear can be prolonged with proper foundations and a mattress protector. What we mean in our warranty by loss in density less then an inch is if the integrity of the product is compromised. This means that if there is dipping in the product that is more than an inch, there is something wrong with either the foam or the coil construction. This would be covered under our Lifetime Warranty.
I can not speak to other companies warranties, as they know their products performance best. I can speak to the quality of materials in our latex hybrid. The continuous pour latex used in this mattress is of the highest quality and most consistent latex on the market at the moment. You can see from many of the discussion on Mattress Underground that latex can be very sustainable and resilient over time. If you want to have a continued discussion about our warranties and our products. I encourage you to reach out to my email at [email protected]. I would love to answer any further questions you might have about this topic.

Hey mtu1912,

Welcome to theTMU Forum! Thanks for your kind words regarding the site, they are much appreciated :slight_smile: .

See that trusted member Nest Bedding offered insights to questions you had on their Latex Hybrid mattress and warranty details, hope that you found those helpful. And thank you @nestbedding for the quick response, Brooke is always happy to answer consumer questions and provide support.

Looking forward to hearing more about your mattress shopping research. BTW, any updates on your progress?

Thanks,

Sensei

Greetings –
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.

While Nest’s relative transparency about materials, as well as the hybrid’s ability to have at least one critical layer replaced, are very welcome positives and will weigh in its favor, it sounds like we will have to proceed with the assumption that there is no guarantee against a failure like the one we previously experienced.

An inch is a lot of sag to allow without remedy, and we know from experience that even a 1" crater is uncomfortable to sleep in at best. Since most manufacturers, even many of the reputable ones recommended by TMU, have similarly uninspiring warranties, we can’t really call that policy a deal-breaker on its own; however, it would make our purchase decision much easier if your confidence in your products’ durability was made explicit in that figure in the warranty document.

Again, I appreciate your willingness to engage with the community and answer questions, and I don’t mean for any of this to sound critical. It is my hope that as the “disruptor” segment of this market (and owner education) matures, we’ll begin to see more differentiation based on durability, and see that expressed in writing. We would gladly reward that effort with our dollars!

Thank you.

Hi! I can understand the hesitance to purchase a Nest mattress due to this requirement, but as you can see we stand by our quality and our craftsmanship with our lifetime warranty. Not sure any other brand is doing that. From what you are writing, it sounds like you took my statements as any dip over an inch would be covered for a warranty replacement, but what our warranty states, anything an inch or more would be covered. So if you where to ever develop 1 inch or greater in the construction of our product, we would replace the mattress. Hope this clarifies any miss understandings. Good luck in your mattress search.

Greetings – just wanted to close the loop here. We ended up going with a different vendor. In the end, we just couldn’t find a match with Nest. There are two models that were contenders:

• natural hybrid latex: this had the pressure point relief and spinal alignment we wanted, and could have worked well. Unfortunately, it’s just too warm. Even in a few minutes of testing in the store, it’s obvious that heat builds up under the sleeper. I had trouble getting a consistent answer from Nest reps about what that top material was: via email, I had to ask twice to get past “it’s eco flex foam”, and on the second try, was told that it was polyfoam. The store rep, on the other hand, said it was memory foam with some wool content, which would explain its warmth. On this model, we were also put off by the inability to replace that top layer, which seems very likely to be the first to break down.

• certified organic hybrid latex: the cotton/wool top on this one breathes very well, and the core/comfort layer configurations available would probably have been very suitable. We just weren’t interested in paying the steep premium for “certified organic”.

Thanks again for your input, and I hope this feedback is useful for future product development.

Hello! Sorry for any conflicting information you received from our staff. We will have to address this in our stores. We do have very clear information about what our top covers are on our website and I encourage you to look there if you are still interested in finding that information. To be clear, the top foam is not memory foam but the Eco Flex foam you where told, which is a poly foam. Good luck in your search for a mattress!

mtu1912,
What mattress did you go with and why?

Hey mtu1912,

Thanks for sharing your mattress shopping research with the TMU Forum, appreciate the objective reporting you’ve done these past several weeks.

Congrats on the purchase of your new mattress :cheer: ! Sorry to hear that you weren’t able to find a “match” with Nest Bedding, know that they have been chatting with you here regarding questions/ concerns you had while shopping several of their mattresses. Thanks to @brooke for the quick follow up responses. Looks like you’ve identified some training opportunities, glad to hear you will be addressing those.

One update on your original post, Avocado mattress? … & Nest Bedding options, post #106, I forwarded this quote to Team Luma regarding the absence of warranty information on their web site:

The Luma Sleep site has been updated and now includes downloadable .pdfs for both the 10 year and 15 year product warranties, this is the download link for others who may be interested, thanks mtu1912 for pointing that out.

Looking forward to updates on your new mattress and hope you both are on a path to better sleep.

Cheers,
Sensei :slight_smile:

Thank you for the reply. Honestly, we’ve been at this for about two months, and it’s safe to say we’re suffering from information overload – that’s the price of education, and I’m sure that’s why so many people go with the “simple choice” options!

We talked with several vendors from the list here at TMU, and I don’t have much of anything bad to say about any of them. There are some good people at these shops who seem to love what they do and are willing to provide lots of info.

We’re going to try a custom configuration from SleepEZ. What sold us, in addition to the knowledgeable staff, was the completely configurable product, with every layer except the quilting independently selectable for each side – and, critically, every layer is replaceable, including the encasement. That takes a lot of the risk out of the long-term value proposition. (Not to mention makes it a LOT easier to move around!)

As in many cases here, their warranty position is … odd. They don’t have much of a printed warranty, but they say they will cover 1/4" per layer, or 1.5" for the whole mattress. For a 4 layer mattress, that means a maximum of 1" before a claim would kick in, so I guess 1.5" would never happen unless you have 6 layers. Like Nest, they claim that “body impressions” just aren’t an issue with latex, so once again, it’s puzzling that they don’t back that up in writing.

I’m still not sure what to make of so many apparently reputable vendors with warranties that don’t seem to express much confidence in their durability. In the end, we had to go with what we know about the materials – thank you, TMU! – but I think there’s a lot of opportunity for vendors to step up and remove consumer doubt by publishing stronger warranty statements.

I hope we can report back in a year or so that latex was everything we hoped it would be, and that our bed is still the same shape it was when we bought it!

mtu1920,

We are coming off of 15 years with a Talalay Latex mattress. It was 8", with a 6" medium base and 2" soft top. It did develop body impressions. You can combat them by turning the mattress regularily and flipping the internal layers occassionally. But latex is very heavy and it is hard to do so we only did it when we felt the impressions forming and not so much in a proactive way. I think it took a couple of years for the first ones to form.

Marshmallowforme - I’d be curious to know if the body impressions you experienced with Talalay latex were visible/measurable with no weight on the mattress, or if they were actually more of a softening of the latex in the areas where you slept. Thanks in advance!

Sweet Dreams,
No they weren’t visible or measureable. You just felt them. We did fix them with rotation and flipping. But we were disappointed since the store said that latex would not get them.

Those are also described as soft spots, and unfortunately it seems that all comfort materials suffer from softening of some degree over time. Latex is supposed to be the most durable of the bunch but apparently it’s not entirely immune to this issue. Thanks again! - Bill

[quote=“Marshmallowforme” post=83805]
No they weren’t visible or measureable. You just felt them. We did fix them with rotation and flipping. But we were disappointed since the store said that latex would not get them.[/quote]

Were you able to determine whether the softening was in the core, or just the comfort layer?

I probably wouldn’t consider what you describe unreasonable after a few years, IF I can replace just the comfort and/or quilting layers … hence my insistence on modularity.

Our previous experience was that visible, measurable depressions with no load began to occur almost immediately, and became uncomfortable very quickly. This is already true of our Casper Wave Hybrid (1/8", and slowly deepening, at less than 2 months); and was particularly egregious in our previous Sealy Posturpedic.

Some softening after a few years is, to me, more understandable.