Avocado mattress? ... & Nest Bedding options

Just my quick 2 cents: I don’t ever reduce quality in my beds, everything I build I build for the long haul as we are a long term brand. No reduction in coil count. Hope that helps.

Hi! My name is Brooke and I have worked with Nest Bedding for 5 years. I am very well aquatinted with our past Latex Hybrid model as well as the current model. Having tried both models myself I can honestly say the model we are currently creating is far more superior in comfort. The change from the Talalay from Dunlop did allow us to make our current model but did not cut down in the quality of product. Pheonix discusses the pro and cons of both latex options quite a bit on his forum and it ultimately comes down to what you prefer comfort wise. The dunlop in my option works better since it has a denser more supportive feel. That works well since we only have 3 inches of latex in this model and we need something that is going to offer a more supportive feel. The talalay latex in the older model was a softer latex, but for larger people sometimes felt a little too soft and they ended up needing something with more of a denser support. As for the coils, we did not take away from the coil count or the firmer coil edges when we changed this model. Yes, there is no longer any zoned coils, but again, I have tried both and honestly can not tell the difference between the two coil systems. If you would like, I would love to hop on the phone with you and we can chat more about options that would work best for you .

Thank you for the quick response, nestbedding.

Thank you, Brooke. I am pm’ing you my phone number.

Hi! If you would like. You can reach me at 818-459-3738.

Looking forward to chatting with you:)

Hi John,

To follow up with your inquiry, if anything, I think Nest Bedding has made an even better mattress with the current Hybrid Natural Latex model. We had the earlier version, and just couldn’t get comfortable with it. Nest Bedding was fantastic and kept trying to work with us to get the comfort & support levels right, but we couldn’t get it to work.

Now having the Hybrid Natural Latex version, it worked right out of the box - no need for adjustments. The break-in time wasn’t all that long, and we were getting the best rest we’ve had in over a year, after having tried 10 other mattress brands. No more aches/pains. No more tossing and turning. My wife, who deals with fibromyalgia, has had no issues in the current version. It’s really well made, and perfect combination of contouring and support. Our shoulders and hips feel cushioned, yet our backs feel supported as well.

If you go back in this thread to the posts from the Nest Bedding owner about why he redesigned this mattress (see around July 2018), it accurately captures the changes - and our experience with the current version matches his reasons for the redesign. The latex/wool combination of the previous mattress was too stiff for us, no matter how much we tried to adjust it. The combination of the current mattress is just right - and nothing else on the market right now has come close.

As for the coil zones, we are glad Nest Bedding did not use the combi-zone/three zone levels that some other brands are using. We tried the Avocado mattress which does use the tri-zone coils, and it was one of the most uncomfortable mattresses that we slept on. As lightweight sleepers, since the middle zone is firmer than the other two zones, it constantly felt we were being pushed too hard in the middle, like our back was bowed. With Nest Bedding’s current Hybrid Natural Latex mattress, our bodies are properly aligned and appropriately contoured.

Honestly, until we got the Hybrid Natural Latex mattress, we had sorta given up on thinking we’d find a comfortable mattress again, and had resigned ourselves to poor sleep. We’d wake up in the morning sore & tired, and got out of bed right away despite being exhausted - not wanting to suffer laying on an uncomfortable mattress any longer. Now with our Nest Bedding mattress, we wish we could stay in bed longer - and find ourselves hitting the snooze button because it’s so comfortable. It’s the mattress we wish we had found when we first replaced our old mattress a year and half ago. It would have saved us a lot of hassle.

Finally, if you have any concerns, you’re covered under Nest Bedding’s amazing warranty. If anything goes wrong, you’re covered. If it proves to be uncomfortable down the road, you’re covered. When our new Serta (from a big box store) proved to be too uncomfortable after a few months of trying to break it in last year, we were stuck with it - and lost a couple thousand dollars. And after looking at and going through just about every mattress brand out there, we can tell that Nest Bedding gets mattresses and understands what customers are looking for. Again, we’re so glad we found this mattress, and it’s the only brand we recommend at this point.

I’m happy to answer any other questions you may have. Bottom line - you’re in good hands with Nest Bedding, for sure, based on our experience…

Hammer, if you are still on this board, what did you finally end up getting that worked for both you and your wife? I’m in the same boat now (me being the lightweight, side sleeping wife). We tried a Purple 3 and just returned it after a couple months. Just like your experience with the Avocado, my husband LOVED the Purple. It was far too firm for me though, causing shoulder/hip pain. Trying to figure out where to go next. I was considering the Flexus Quadra-Flex, but it’s similar to the Avocado and so I’m worried I’d have the same experience your wife did.

If it helps, my wife and I have been having great success as lightweight/side sleepers with Nest Bedding’s Hybrid Latex mattress now going on 9 months. No shoulder/hip pains, and our backs are still properly supported. It’s the perfect balance for us, and we went through about 10 different mattresses to get here.

We definitely recommend giving the Hybrid Latex from Nest Bedding a try. Ours is the prior version with 24ILD Dunlop latex.

Hope that helps, and let us know if you need anything else. Good luck!

Thanks! I’ll check it out. I’ve also just started looking at the Luma, as it seems it could be another viable option.

Hi, I’m currently considering the Nest Hybrid Latex mattress but have a few concerns, which include the use of polyfoams (I worry about getting hot), the relatively low density foams used in three layers (1.5" 1.5 lb Eco FLex Quilting Foam, 1" 1.5lb Eco-Friendly Comfort Foam above the coils, and 1" 1.5lb Support Foam below the coils), as well as the coil specs (6" when I was thinking I’d like 8", and only 660 coils in a queen, which may still be fine, but I worry they will not be as precise in cradling/supporting different areas vs. a greater number of more narrow coils).

I have been trying to ignore the above, but I’ve read through this thread and was actually very surprised to see the old specs of prior versions of this mattress, since the prior versions used less polyfoam, taller coils, highger density foams, etc. The overall mattress was taller, yet it sounds like it was also significantly less expensive than the current mattress! If anyone is still around in this thread that is familiar with Nest beds, it’d be great to get your opinions on these more recent changes and how you feel they have affected/may have affected the overall mattress. If there are specific reasons the above changes were made, other than cost cutting, it would be very helpful to hear those as well. Thank you!

Thanks and rest assured the bed does not sleep hot, at least it’s not a complaint I get. The lower density foams are quilting foams in the top and very thin and a layer under the coils to prevent the coils from tearing the bottom fabric. You can’t use any denser foams for quilting and the foam under the coils is inconsequential to the surface or heat. Check our reviews. I’m always looking for ways to improve our beds and like the other models, it’s extremely well built and backed up with my personal guarantee

Thank you for your reply, nestbedding. Why do you use the 1.5lb foam (base support & transition foams) in the Hybrid Latex, but a 3.0lb foam in the Signature Hybrid? I wish I could combine the higher density foams and 8" coils from the Signature Hybrid with the dunlop latex from the Hybrid Latex!

I can echo what the previous post (from Nest’s CEO) mentioned, based on personal experience. The current version of the Hybrid Latex mattress is well-designed and super comfortable - we love ours! We, too, asked about the lower density foam, and part of it has to do with making the mattress more comfortable on the shoulder and hips when sleeping on the side. If the foam is too dense, then sleepers start encountering more pressure points when side-sleeping.

We also had the previous version of the Hybrid Latex mattress - the one with the 8" coils and Talalay foam. It was a decent mattress, but still ran a little firm - even when trying the more plush foam. Nest Bedding was great in working with us to get us properly situated, and this new version of the Hybrid Latex mattress is definitely a significant improvement over the previous model. Super comfortable - regardless of sleeping position (we’re side/back combo sleepers) - and we haven’t encountered any issues with sagging, etc.

The great thing, too, is that Nest Bedding has a fantastic warranty and stands behind their products, so there’s that guarantee as well. Again, after trying 10+ mattresses and not finding a single one that was even tolerable, we’re really pleased with our Hybrid Latex from Nest. I tend to run hot, while my wife tends to run cold, and we’re both sleeping fine with this mattress. I don’t experience a heat issue like I have with some other mattress brands.

Hope that helps, and good luck with your search. One other thing perhaps worth noting - I’ve seen a number of people struggle with mattress purchases on this site. However, once a good number of them get a Nest Bedding mattress, they seem to disappear from the forum. I take that as they end up pleased with their Nest mattress. Simply a thought…

Ah I see where your confusion lies. 1.5 lb base foam is very durable it’s also very different than memory foam. A 1.5 lb memory foam would not be good but support foam is a different animal. Think seat cushions in your car. You wouldn’t use memory foam in the base.

Thank you, nestbedding and NestHaven.

NestHaven - I read through you story earlier today and it was very helpful. For some reason I thought your story had ended with the previous version of the mattress, not this current one with the 6" coils. I must have skipped a page! When did you get this latest mattress? Your insight and experience is very helpful! (Though I do struggle not to read too much into your username (you’re not affiliated with Nest Bedding, are you?)).

nestbedding - I’m not sure what you mean about the source of confusion. I do understand that the density standards differ between polyfoam and memory (viscoelastic) foam. From everything I have read on this website, 1.8lb is the lowest density polyfoam that is recommended to have in a mattress, for durability’s sake. That is why I am leery of several inches of the lower density polyfoam. I did see that the foam used in the Signature Hybrid is labeled as 3.0 lb density. Earlier today I chatted with a customer service agent on your website to ask if this foam was polyfoam or visco-elastic, and they let me know that it was polyfoam. Since 3.0lb is a great density for polyfoam, I was wondering why you do not use the better foam (3.0lb) in the Hybrid Latex as well. If you are saying that the agent was incorrect, and that this mattress is actually using memory foam, then I believe the recommended density for visco-elastic foam (per this website) is a minimum of 4.0lbs, meaning again that the 3.0lb would be lower than what is recommended.

To confirm, is the 3.0lb density foam in the Signature Hybrid (used in the base support layer and the smartflow support foam layer) polyfoam or visco-elastic foam? If it is the former, is there a reason that the same high density polyfoam isn’t also used in the polyfoam layers of the Hybrid Latex, and is there an option to swap them out when ordering? Thank you!

We do have a lot of happy customers!

If a base foam is used in the base of a foam only bed where the base is the support, yes, I’d never buy anything less than 1.8. But this bed is supported by coils. The foam is there to prevent the coils from piercing the fabric on the bottom and the quilting foam only comes in 1.5, it’s purposefully a light foam to add puffiness to the top, no support. Hope that makes more sense.

Sorry for any confusion with my username. I wasn’t sure what name to use when I signed up, so I blended a couple of mattress brands that I saw on this site when I registered - Nest Bedding and Zenhaven - into NestHaven. Good point, though, on the appearance of a conflict of interest. I’m not affiliated with Nest Bedding in any way. Simply a satisfied customer who enjoys their products is all. If there was a way to change my username at this point, I would.

And yes, my wife and I do have Nest’s current Hybrid Latex model with the 6" coils. The only difference with ours is that we have the 24ILD Dunlop latex version, not the 27ILD version. And we’ve had our mattress now for about 9 months (received it as a wedding gift). Again, it’s definitely an improvement over the previous version (which had the 8" coils, Talalay latex, and no quilted foam).

The newer version with the 6" coils, Dunlop latex, and quilted foam is the closest we’ve found to the comfy, old mattresses that we grew up with - comfortable, not too firm, not too soft, supportive in the right places, and overall just right. High-quality build, too, and we’re sticklers for even small defects.

Hope that helps, and happy to answer any further questions that you may have. And it seems that brands like Nest Bedding, Luma, and Arizona Premium Mattress make solid hybrid mattresses from what other customers have shared, having been on this site for a bit. And really, any of the Trusted Members on this site have been vetted, so you’re likely in good hands there.

Again, good luck…

Kelley, I have a lot of the same questions you do.

NestHaven, when you let me know you and your wife loved your Nest mattress, I had not yet read through this whole thread. I just read the whole thing yesterday, and was confused by the same thing as Kelley. You mentioned to me in your post last week that you have prior version, but as I read through the whole thread it sounds like you might actually have the current version. Can you clarify?

NestHaven, I guess you can ignore my last reply. Looks like you answered Kelley’s questions (same as mine) while I was in the middle of typing my last post. Thanks for the info!

Sure thing - sorry for the confusion. We originally had the former Hybrid Latex design last year (8" coil/Talalay latex). We tried a couple of latex swap-outs, in addition to needing to get the cover replaced. Again, Nest Bedding was great in working with us to try to get us situated. In the end, though, we couldn’t get that mattress to work. It was better than many of the other brands that we tried (Saatva, Intellibed, Leesa, Serta, Brentwood Home, etc.), but we were still experiencing pain in our shoulder & hip points.

Knowing our mattress struggles, we were given this new Hybrid Latex mattress (the 6" coil/Dunlop latex/quilted foam version) as a wedding gift from a family member who liked theirs, and it fixed the issues that we had been having with previous mattresses. For us, the 1.5lb quilting foam does a really nice job of easing the pressure on our joints when we sleep on our sides. We wouldn’t want anything denser, as then the mattress would likely become too stiff. It’s “just right” as it is now. The great thing is that there’s still plenty of support when we sleep on our backs or stomachs. And we haven’t had an issue with the mattress being too warm, either. It stays temperature neutral.

Again, it’s a really nice design. The other latex hybrids that we’d tried (the 8" coil/3" latex/cover types) were never quite comfortable on our shoulders & hips when sleeping on our sides. The Avocado mattress, for instance, felt like sleeping on a firm board.

So, needless to say, we’re very happy with our Hybrid Latex mattress from Nest. And after a solid 9 months of use, it’s holding up very well.