Back hurting on Brand new ELuxury!

After weeks of research, we landed on Eluxury (2nd choices were Brooklyn Bedding and Leesa, and T&N) We decided on ELuxury becuase my mother had purchased one and loves it, and they had an amazing new year discount! So we figured we would try this one first considering the sale and if it doesn’t work, move on to one of the others.

We have slept on the mattress for 2 nights, and both nights I have woken up with a very sore lower back.:frowning: Is it normal to have an adjustment period? Or is this mattress just not going to work for me? My husband loves the mattres— he said he thinkg he is adjusting but not sore like I am. I love the way it feels when you lay down, but after sleeping I am super sore.

-I am a side sleeper. Husband is a side/back sleeper.
-We used to sleep on a Beauty Rest pillow top (about 10 years old) and never had a complaint about it.
-I am 5"4, 140 lbs, my husband is 6’4 and 220
-our mattress is on a headboard footboard bedframe with split king boxspring
-We did put a mattress pad on it and it is a little plusher than I thought it would be (wondering if that might be some of the issue) I am realizing I probably should have bought a mattress protector. Could the mattress pad be prohibiting the mattress from contouring to my body?
-I have normally slept with 2 pillows, 1 plush alt down pillow and a memory foam on top of that. I did wonder if with the plushness of new mattress was my head TOO elevated and not inline with my spine. But my neck is not what hurt both mornings.

• My back pain feels as if either my hips sunk in too much, dipping my spine down. I feel like this means I might need a firmer mattress. Is there one you would reccomend? We have heard some consider T&N firmer.

Woud love thoughts on adjusting— if I should change my pillow use, or if we should just try a new mattress.

Thanks!
Sore and Sleepy

Hi QueenCitySleeper,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

[quote]After weeks of research, we landed on Eluxury (2nd choices were Brooklyn Bedding and Leesa, and T&N) We decided on ELuxury becuase my mother had purchased one and loves it, and they had an amazing new year discount! So we figured we would try this one first considering the sale and if it doesn’t work, move on to one of the others.
[/quote]
I’m sorry that you’re not enjoying your new eLuxury mattress. I wish you had found the site a bit sooner, as we potentially could have helped you make a bit more informed decision regarding this purchase. However, the good news is that I can still provide you some assistance and I hope it will make things better for you as you move forward. :cheer:

Before talking about the mattresses, the first thing I would advise you is to not use the advice/reviews of others and how they sleep upon a product as a guideline as how that will perform for you. There are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved in choosing a mattress for someone else to make specific suggestions based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or theory at a distance that can possible be more accurate than your own careful and objective testing (using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post) which is always the most reliable way to predict which mattress will be the best match for you in terms of PPP (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). Just because your mother likes a certain mattress, or John Doe in California likes/dislikes the same mattress, will have no relevance on your own personal PPP.

Always keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress so I would be very cautious about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you. In many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words … reviews or other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here ).

Regarding pricing, while this is certainly an important part of anyone’s personal value equation, deciding to buy something just because it is “on sale” also isn’t an advisable manner to purchase a mattress. If the quality of componentry is subpar, whether or not you purchased it at a “discount” just means that you paid less for an item that is still incapable of doing well what it was designed to do.

Big kudos to you that you had the foresight to purchase something with a good return/exchange policy, just in case your selection continues to not work out as well as you expected.

If you end up sending this mattress back, I would tell you to “reset” a bit the way you’re going about selecting a mattress, and the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well he will sleep), durability (how long he will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

Then I would make sure that you find out information listed here about any mattress you’re considering so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

Regarding adjustment, yes, there is a period of what I term “retrogression” when you adjust to any new mattress, and the mattress also “adjusts” to you, losing some of its “false firmness”. This usually takes a few weeks to a few months, depending upon the individual and the type of mattress purchased.

While I can’t diagnose pain or back issues, there is some information about the many different symptoms that people may experience on a mattress and some of the most common causes behind them in post #2 here that may be helpful. The most common reason for lower back pain is a mattress that has comfort layers that are too thick/soft or a support core that is too soft.

I don’t know which eLuxury mattress you purchased, but assuming it is the 10" version, you have a 7" core of 1.8 lb. density polyfoam, and on top of that 3" of a gel memory foam at 3 lb. density. The base foam is lower in density that what I would recommend for your husband (above 200 lbs.), and the memory foam at only 3 lb. density is a lower quality material that I don’t recommend for either of you, so this is a product about which I would caution against purchasing and its appropriateness for you durability-wise based upon the durability guidelines I linked to previously in this reply, as it uses less durable material than I would normally consider. I can’t tell you if you’ll adjust to the mattress or if it will be appropriate for you – I can only offer guidance as to “how” to choose a produce versus “what” to choose.

I would check the integrity of your “box spring”, which in reality is more than likely a metal semi-flex foundation if it is the Simmons from 10 years ago, and make sure that it is perfectly flat with no dips or flexing that could negatively impact this or any other mattress you might choose.

While the layers closet to your skin can have the most dramatic impact upon comfort, a plush mattress pad will impact surface comfort the most, and not so much support, which seems to be your major complaint. Of course, it’s easy to test your theory by simply removing the mattress pad and trying out the product in that manner and see if there is an improvement for you.

It is common to readjust pillow thickness with a new mattress, and if you feel you are sinking in more deeply as compared to your old mattress then it certainly would be reasonable to use only one pillow in your situation.

If you feel your hips are sinking in too much when you’re on your side, this certainly would align with the brief commentary you’ve provided about your back pain. This would normally indicate looking for a mattress with either a more supportive core/innerspring unit, or less plush padding on top, or perhaps both.

If you do end up deciding to return your current mattress, go through the steps I listed earlier when deciding upon a new mattress, starting with the mattress shopping tutorial, and if you come up with more questions or need some guidance after that, I’ll be happy to do my best to be assistive.

Phoenix